o2guy

Shrinking?

Rate this topic

Being newly diagnosed I am still going through all my test. I just had my dexa scan yesterday and I was a little suprised when they measured my height to find that I am 2" shorter than I remembered.it has been several years since I was last measured but I didn't realize you could actually shrink that much in height. Has anyone ever had this problem.

Is it possible that your height was previously measured inaccurately? Or that you learned your height at a rounded number? My father shrunk about that much but he has a degenerative disc disease and the discs had completely deteriorated. But the condition is very painful and it is unlikely that it would be the cause of your shrinking without you having serious back problems.

I have had ongoing back neck and joint pain for years I have just attributed it to over working and being overweight. I've learned over time to ignore pain as I seem to hurt on a daily basis. My wife just says I'm to stuburn to listen to my body when some things wrong

When I was 30, I was five foot nine and three quarters. Now, at 57, I am five foot seven. Yeah, I have a degenerating spine too. The last doctor who xrayed my spine actually laughed, then hurriedly appologized. He said I had the crookedest spine he had ever seen.

Now that I live in a dry climate, my back doesn't really hurt much, so it's no big deal. But what I DID notice when looking at the xray is, the curves in my spine exactly match the way I sit when playing guitar. I did it to myself! (And it was worth it!!)

The last time I had an exray of my back was 24 years ago from a chiropractor who tol me my spine was twisted I just thought he was a quack who wanted more money for therapy maybe I should have listened then I'm only 43 I hate the idea that I have shrunk 2" in that time.

everyone shrinks, regardless of degenerative disk disease or not. Starting at around age 30, and progressively from there. In some people it is more noticeable than others. I've shrunk about half an inch, I have degenerative disk disease.

I have had ongoing back neck and joint pain for years I have just attributed it to over working and being overweight. I've learned over time to ignore pain as I seem to hurt on a daily basis. My wife just says I'm to stuburn to listen to my body when some things wrong

I'm the same way. Stubborn and used to working through the pain, plus I'm a workaholic. (And a few of my doctors blamed my aches and pains pre-celiac diagnosis on being overweight. They were wrong.)

AFter diagnosis, I was found to have osteopenia (age 49) and previously diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. But I've reversed mine a bit with calcium supplements, weightlifting and Vit D supplments. You can probably limit your damage and keep yourslf healthy by doing weights, supplements and eating right. The goal is to limit future damage.

Being newly diagnosed I am still going through all my test. I just had my dexa scan yesterday and I was a little suprised when they measured my height to find that I am 2" shorter than I remembered.it has been several years since I was last measured but I didn't realize you could actually shrink that much in height. Has anyone ever had this problem.

It may be a combination of "shrinkage due to age" (very real) and worsening posture. Do you have any back issues, sit at a computer or in a car all day long, or otherwise notice that you do not have "good" posture?