This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had Weetabix But Haven't Had A Reaction?

speedy2056

speedy2056 Apprentice

Does Weetabix contain a different kind of gluten or something because I had some but didn't have any reaction. I think I have gluten intolerance rather than Celiac because I have noticed that my symptoms can develop a few hours after eating but thought you people might have the most knowledge about this. I had a burger in a bun last night to test and I came down with a severe hangover type feeling a couple of hours later but the Weetabix has been good for me so far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

saintmaybe Collaborator

Gluten reactions can be anywhere from immediate to 24-72 hours after exposure. This is why it's recommended if you suspect celiac or gluten sensitivity, you keep a food log,so you know what you exposed yourself to and when. It also helps to keep track of brands,ingredients, restaurants, etc. every time you want to cook or go out.

Also, different forms of gluten seem to cause different reactions in people. Flour being pretty immediate and severe, and then lessening from there. I can't ever eat cheeseburger buns, they've always made me sick. But I was still doing okay with some wheat cereals before I went off gluten.

speedy2056 Apprentice

Gluten reactions can be anywhere from immediate to 24-72 hours after exposure. This is why it's recommended if you suspect celiac or gluten sensitivity, you keep a food log,so you know what you exposed yourself to and when. It also helps to keep track of brands,ingredients, restaurants, etc. every time you want to cook or go out.

Also, different forms of gluten seem to cause different reactions in people. Flour being pretty immediate and severe, and then lessening from there. I can't ever eat cheeseburger buns, they've always made me sick. But I was still doing okay with some wheat cereals before I went off gluten.

Thanks for the reply, saint! I had been gluten free for about three and a half months since May or June but I went back to my doctors to get an in-depth review of my celiac/wheat allergy testing and he said the numbers were not even borderline. So I went back to eating whatever I wanted and my activity level dropped that same week. I felt more tired by the day and had other symptoms that I was familiar with 3 months previous. So, I went back to being gluten free but yesterday I tried it yet again and had a hangover effect within a couple of hours eating the burger. Either the test is wrong or they have not performed the IGG test, the one that involves a delayed intolerance reaction.

Are there any gluten foods that do not contain any type of wheat? The reason I ask is because I want to make an effort to know if it is one or the other - gluten or wheat intolerance.

tarnalberry Community Regular

the other foods that are off limits to celiacs (due to gluten) but are not wheat are barley and rye - so cook up some pearl barley and eat it if you want to know if it's a gluten issue or a wheat issue. :)

speedy2056 Apprentice

Okay, thanks Tarnal! :D

speedy2056 Apprentice

I woke up in a bad mood today and have a bit of a tummy ache right now. It's the afternoon. Knowing my body, the symptoms of the burger bun should have started to clear so I'm thinking the Weetabix is starting to show through.

come dance with me Enthusiast

It's not always that an actual physical reaction will occur either. But that doesn't mean that your body isn't having damage done to it even if an immediate physical reaction doesn't occur.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Reba32 Rookie

having both the hamburger bun and the Wheetabix so close together you may not have had a "noticeable" reaction to the Wheetabix because the bun was still raging through your system.

If you want to truly test intolerance, wait a few days between re-introduction of any possible offending food.

Archived