birdie22

A Good Resource For Starting An Elim Diet?

Rate this topic

Is there a good online resource for how to start an elimination diet? I posted in the "doc" thread that my GP is clueless and suggested that I only need to do a TED for 3-5 days and then start playing with adding foods in. Clearly that isn't a sound process. I know I need to eliminate gluten, and I'm guessing a few other things, for a much longer time and that there's probably a recommended process for adding things in, in what order, for how long, etc. I'm also guessing that there are things other than plain chicken, white rice, and banana that I can eat in the initial stage (this is what my GP limited me to). I don't have a follow up appt with the GP for a few more weeks so I'm hoping for better informed resources before then.

I can't say enough good things about "Whole Life Nutrition" (google or go to "wholelifenutrition dot net". I followed their elimination diet for 28 days (actually right before I was diagnosed with Celiac) and it was fantastically helpful (and gave me a 28-day headstart on going gluten-free).

They explain quite a lot of detail online--they have both a website and a blog (and also give some great recipes). I found their whole process very nutritionally sound. And their focus on whole foods is great for Celiac recovery. I'm still eating their recipes and drinking green smoothies six months into recovery (and I feel great most days!).

I started with a FODMAP diet. Took 3 weeks for my GI symptoms to improve. I don't think 3-5 days is enough time for any style elimination diet. I used the book "IBS Free at Last" as a starting point (she also has a website). One reason was that I highly suspected fructose to be a problem for me, and this was one of the things you eliminate on a FODMAP diet.

There are lots of types of elimination diets out there, so just find one that sounds appealing and go for it! Just stick with it for a few weeks before deciding if it's working for you. Also, be sure to keep a food and symptoms log. I found that my reactions typically show up 2 days after I eat an offending food (gluten is more immediate for me, though).

Good luck!