Rate this topic

I'm hosting a halloween party for my kids. My youngest son sent out invitations to his entire class. I asked on the invitation for an RSVP so I could plan food and treat bags accordingly. Only 4 people out of his class have responded and the party is this Saturday. Do I assume that if someone does not RSVP that they are not planning on attending? I was thinking along this route.

Its tricky. Some people around here think it means to call if you can't come (regrets only). Also, if son delivered them at school, you might want to check that the kids actually got them, put them in the backpack, got them out of the pack, etc.

The difference in a party for 5 kids or 20 nkids is big. You could have a great party with 5 and plan some things you couldn't do with 20. I think I might call some parents to see if they even got the invites. My son was mailed an invite but it didn't come. His feelings were hurt because he thought he was invited. I wish the mom had called because something happened with the mail. You could use that excuse for calling.

Its tricky. Some people around here think it means to call if you can't come (regrets only). Also, if son delivered them at school, you might want to check that the kids actually got them, put them in the backpack, got them out of the pack, etc.

The difference in a party for 5 kids or 20 nkids is big. You could have a great party with 5 and plan some things you couldn't do with 20. I think I might call some parents to see if they even got the invites. My son was mailed an invite but it didn't come. His feelings were hurt because he thought he was invited. I wish the mom had called because something happened with the mail. You could use that excuse for calling.

I did that the first year we had the party with my oldest son's class. No one called then either. I did not call the second year we had the party and the ones that didn't call didn't show up. The invites had to be handed to the teacher and she put them in their folders that go home with them at the end of the week. I know they got sent home since a couple of people from his class have reponded. This has happened before, so I think people either forget or are just inconsiderate.

I have found that most people just never respond. That gets frustrating. If I were you I would plan on another couple of kids maybe showing up, just in case.

I have found that most people just never respond. That gets frustrating. If I were you I would plan on another couple of kids maybe showing up, just in case.

You must have read my mind. I was thinking the same thing.

I've taken to desperate measures like "RSVP so I have enough treats!" on the invitation. People are terrible about responding to invitations.

I would figure on the four and a couple extras too.

I currently have 17-19 kids coming regardless of the lack of response from my youngest son's class. So if someone extra shows up, I'll be prepared. I think I'm mainly annoyed that people can't take a couple minutes to "RSVP" out of their schedules.

I currently have 17-19 kids coming regardless of the lack of response from my youngest son's class. So if someone extra shows up, I'll be prepared. I think I'm mainly annoyed that people can't take a couple minutes to "RSVP" out of their schedules.

OH! That's a big party! When I invite a lot, I just have enough for everyone I invited. I just make sure its something we like to have for left-overs. We had a Xmas cocktail party last year & ate left-over cheese everyday for 2 weeks. The truffles froze well & we ate them thru January! :)

I think this is just another example of the loss of manners in today's society. Actually, it is very rude not to reply. The message is "you and your party are not important to me". As to what to do, I would call the non-responders. Ask if they got the invitation. Maybe it will embarass them into answering future invitatons.

I just noticed the date of the earlier posts. Never mind.

I think this is just another example of the loss of manners in today's society. Actually, it is very rude not to reply. The message is "you and your party are not important to me". As to what to do, I would call the non-responders. Ask if they got the invitation. Maybe it will embarass them into answering future invitatons.

I just noticed the date of the earlier posts. Never mind.

I couldn't agree with you more! No one cares about ettique and manners anymore. I am trying to instill this to my boys. For example when I take my son to get his allergy shots (he goes twice a week) there are many other doctor offices in the building. Almost everytime we go there there are people, especially elderly people entering the building. I have been asking my boys to be "gentlemen" and hold the doors. Especially the older folks, they really have appreciated it. However, I noticed that my oldest held the door for a lady, the other day and not even a thank you. At least my kids are learning proper.

I was mean about RSVPs recently. I had two couples not respond ever respond to my wedding invitations even though I had personalized prestamped postcards. Many people were over two weeks late with sending their responses. In fact, my husband's own parents did not RSVP and we were living with them at the time. How hard is it to check yes and hand me the card? The other couple I never heard from I assumed weren't coming. In the end I did receive the card back, it was mailed 3 weeks AFTER my wedding. Why would you send the card then? I find it funny now but I was very annoyed then. Some people need manners training.