Cheryl_C

Making Granola - Sub For Oats?

Rate this topic

Hey folks,

I found some great homemade granola recipes, but would like to find a sub for oats. I haven't been brave enough to try the gluten-free oats, so as an "in case," what are my options? The first thing that came to mind was amaranth flakes, but I'd like some input. Thanks!

Possibly quinoa flakes? I haven't made gluten-free granola so can't say this would work well.

Depending on the recipe maybe you can sub rice krispie , chex or whole o's gluten-free cereals. I knwo they are not flake-like but I don't think there are too many subs for oats.

A company called Bakery On Main makes yummy gluten-free granola that is also oatmeal free.

http://bakeryonmain.myshopify.com/products/nutty-cranberry-maple-granola

The above is my favorite but they have several varieties. The desription says:

"We gently toast corn flakes and rice crisps with sesame, sunflower, and flax seeds into golden clusters of crunchy goodness. Then we add plump cranberries, almonds and pecans for a delicious snack or breakfast cereal."

So pretty much any cereal could work for making your own (gluten-free corn flakes, gluten-free rice crispies, etc)

Btw I wouldn't reco quinoa flakes. Gross.

I love the whole grain, can't stand the flakes. horrible flavor, IMO.

I've wondered about using rice flakes in place of oats, but didn't find any last I looked. Have not looked for a source for them in awhile though.

Have you tried to find a granola recipe that does not contain oats? I don't think that the oats are really substitutable in a way that would make the granola have the same texture and taste. I think that other cereals/flakes would get mushy fast and it would likely go stale very quickly. Or you could just try gluten-free oats.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Next week I'm going to try to make some granola - and if anything turns out, I'll be sure to post here.

GlutenFreeManna - I LOVE Bakery on Main! They're my go-to for "purse food." I like the idea of corn flakes - I actually have some kicking around, I think, from some other culinary attempt. Hmmm.

Mizzo, I may also try some Chex - I certainly have enough of them kicking around these days! Thanks!

I bought some granola at Trader Joe's yesterday. They use corn puffs (half spheres) to sub for oats.

Puffed corn, rice bran, raisin juice concentrate, honey, salt, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, raisins, sesame seeds, coconut, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cranberries, pecans, apricots, brazil nuts, vanilla, maple, sea salt.

Whew! Long list!

Rice flakes (Pohu/Pawa/Powa/Poha) - Thin, medium or thick style - are available from Indian supermarkets. Also try South African or Pacific Islander markets - they can Indian items also.