Darwin

Pasta Machine

Rate this topic

I have a question for everyone.....I bought the KitchenAide pasta attachments (roller type) about 6 months before finding out that I was gluten intolerant. I used them twice. If anyone has ever bought them, they are REALLY expensive. Does anybody have any suggestions for cleaning them to make them safe? They cannot by submerged in water. I was thinking of getting some canned air to really blast out the loose flour still in them and then making some really sticky gluten-free dough and running a bunch through to maybe catch what is left. I know this is risky, but I really don't have the budget to replace them and would like to start making my own noodles. Any ideas, suggestions?

I'm really sorry, but I don't think you can clean that enough. I wouldn't be willing to try it. Even if at first you're ok it seems like you get more sensitive down the road, and respond worse to minute amounts of gluten. I'd sell it and buy a new one, or try hand rolled pasta. Maybe that's just me, but ewwwwwwww.

I probably wouldn't use it if it's got places for the dough to hide. You could run a few batches of gluten-free noodles thru & see if it clears the old gluten out.

Can you put vinegar down in the cracks, use pins to get the softened flour out? I'm not familiar with this attachment so I don't know how it looks.

I have the KA attachments and still use them because I fortunately had no problems with any previous dough sticking anywhere at all. I still cleaned them thoroughly with a toothpick and Q-tips. To be sure, I ran through one gluten free batch that I threw out.

I have the KA attachments and still use them because I fortunately had no problems with any previous dough sticking anywhere at all. I still cleaned them thoroughly with a toothpick and Q-tips. To be sure, I ran through one gluten free batch that I threw out.

Thanks!!! That is good to know. There shouldn't be anything stuck in it as I only used it twice and was very careful with cleaning it. One of the attachments were never even used, which is good. I wrote to Kitchenaid and they apparently thought gluten was some kind of bacteria......in other words, they had no clue. Well, I will try it. Thanks!!