This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Much Vitamin D Are You Taking?

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

Just curious from those who are supplementing, how much vitamin D you are taking in? Have you found a connection to supplementing with vitamin D that has helped with any of your symptoms? Could you specify which symptoms? I think I may have found a link for myself and just curious. I recently increased my D and I actually think it is helping my ataxia. This has been an issues for 7 months now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maximoo Enthusiast

I believe it has to do with your weight, and how deficient you are. My DD who weighs 78 lbs takes 1000 a dy whereas my DS takes 2000 and he weighs 118 lbs. DD is/was moderately deficient & DD borderline. They both need a recheck in Dec. My best friend who has severe bone issues has to take 50,000 pr day. She is 49 yo and has the bones of an 80 yo.

I think the recommended daily intake is 2000 if your levels are normal. I've read that a vit D deficiency helps contribute to high blood pressure. It is interesting to compare with other folks but it really depends on how deficient each individual is and other problems they may have.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I believe it has to do with your weight, and how deficient you are. My DD who weighs 78 lbs takes 1000 a dy whereas my DS takes 2000 and he weighs 118 lbs. DD is/was moderately deficient & DD borderline. They both need a recheck in Dec. My best friend who has severe bone issues has to take 50,000 pr day. She is 49 yo and has the bones of an 80 yo.

I think the recommended daily intake is 2000 if your levels are normal. I've read that a vit D deficiency helps contribute to high blood pressure. It is interesting to compare with other folks but it really depends on how deficient each individual is and other problems they may have.

Weight and degree of deficiency makes sense, something I didn't think about. I too have bone loss in both legs and spine, age 48. I just upped my vit D to 8000. Interesting what you read about high blood pressure and vit D defienciency. That may explains my high blood pressure back in Feb/March, I had never had high blood pressure before.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I took 5000 iu/day for a week, now down to 7800 iu/WEEK.

I was/am deficient by testing.

Since starting d and iron my shaky hands have stabilized.

Remember, I also live in the desert so I will get more winter sun than most other people. I turn on like a light bulb in the sun.

saintmaybe Collaborator

I'm taking 10,000 IU/day. But then, my blood tests were, OMG WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD YET? defcient back in May. I think I was, 12? Very low, at any rate. I feel better- fewer migraines, much less bruising. I don't know what's D and what's gluten free, but I'm erring on the side of being genetically incapable of manufacturing or absorbing this nutrient myself, since I work outside for 10 hours a day.

I'm taking 10,000 IU/day. But then, my blood tests were, OMG WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD YET? defcient back in May. I think I was, 12? Very low, at any rate. I feel better- fewer migraines, much less bruising. I don't know what's D and what's gluten free, but I'm erring on the side of being genetically incapable of manufacturing or absorbing this nutrient myself, since I work outside for 10 hours a day.

When are your follow up labs?

Mine are in December....so that will be 5 months on supplements.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Back in May My Vitamin D was 14.6 and was give a script for 50,000IU once a week... August my D was up to 28 and my Doc issued another round of the same for 12 weeks with 1 refill... As my D level rose, my BP med was cut and now take half of what I was taking in May... I'm due for a lab in 4 weeks to check it again..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bny06 Apprentice

My level just came back at 21... (the lab's normal low was 32) My dr said she was going to call in a Rx to take once a week ( i think it was 50,000) she said i'll be taking it once a week for a few months and then the dosage will decrease.. I hope your right - i hope it helps with the ataxia/neuro symptoms!!! What was your level?

rainer83 Newbie

I take a multivitamin and it has 200IU, but when the days start getting shorter here, I take some D Drops because the lack of sunlight really tends to get to me. I find vitamin D mostly helps with my emotional state. I don't feel as moody as I did before, and have more energy when I take some vitamin D.

saintmaybe Collaborator

When are your follow up labs?

Mine are in December....so that will be 5 months on supplements.

Weeellll, that's a bit of a sticky situation. I live in Massachusetts, and they're revamping the healthcare system here again to a global payment system from fee for service. The docs are pre-emptively cutting down on visits and tests in preparation.

My last visit to my GP, I asked her about my hair falling out (and I do mean significantly), and all she said was, "Well, these things can take a while to resolve themselves."

When I told her about gong gluten free and asked her about possible celiac, she was familiar with the testing conditions necessary, but was unwilling to consider further possiblities or testing unless I went back on gluten. I can't.

I am absolutely incapacitated on gluten, and I can't lose my job. I'm in my late 20's, and in that unlucky cohort that's really unhireable right now. Otherwise she said "See you in six months."

What I'm doing now is trying to get in as a patient n an integrative medicine center near boston that specializes in celiac, GI, and metabolic disorders. They do nutrition therapy, metabolic panels, standard western prescriptions if necessary, acupuncture, pain control and pain management. The name is The Rothfeld Center, for any other Bay State citizens or persons living in New England and willing to make a drive. Apparently they are well worth the effort.

They come really highly recommended by a customer of mine who is also Celiac. She noticed I was visibly unwell one day, asked what was wrong, and we had an hour long conversation about nutriton. Celiacs are legion, people!

Skylark Collaborator

Between my multi and extra D3 I'm taking about 3,000 IU of D3 a day to stay over 30 pg/dl. I don't seem to absorb it very well. :(

I feel generally better taking the vitamin D. Less fatigue and run-down feelings.

mushroom Proficient

Mine was recently tested at 49 :) I started out (at 29) taking 50,000 every week, now take 50,000 once a month, with some extra 2000's thrown in during the month when I think about it.

love2travel Mentor

I take 5,000 IU of D3 per day and at my recent follow-up appointment was happy to discover my values are smack dab in the middle of the normal range (after taking them six months).

anabananakins Explorer

Wow, 12. I was 22 - my doctor was all 'you feel half dead because you are half dead!" (below 50 was too low). I'm glad you're feeling better.

I take 3000IU/day. I'm much less tired - used to feel weak, achy, run down.

Wow, 12. I was 22 - my doctor was all 'you feel half dead because you are half dead!" (below 50 was too low). I'm glad you're feeling better.

I take 3000IU/day. I'm much less tired - used to feel weak, achy, run down.

I was 24, range 32-100. Wow, j take minuscule amounts compared to everyone else! I guess we'll see if it works in Dec. Still walking and it's still 92 in Tucson so no lack of sun and potential D.

Reba32 Rookie

I take 1900 IU per day, (when I remember!) with my multi & supplement combined. I have noticed no difference with any of my "symptoms" since I started taking them. I don't know if my vit levels were tested at my recent annual check-up or not. I forgot to ask. I have a new doctor, and she always rushes me and I forget stuff.

saintmaybe Collaborator

Ugh, I still have no immune system to speak of. I'm pretty darn near immuno-compromised. Sinus infections with double ear infections today. I love my life. Last sick day used up to go to the PCP and get some antibiotics, which I detest. I do however, recognize their actual usefulness in real medical situations such as these.

Ugh, I still have no immune system to speak of. I'm pretty darn near immuno-compromised. Sinus infections with double ear infections today. I love my life. Last sick day used up to go to the PCP and get some antibiotics, which I detest. I do however, recognize their actual usefulness in real medical situations such as these.

Get a Neti pot. Best thing ever for sinuses and colds. And allergies!

saintmaybe Collaborator

Get a Neti pot. Best thing ever for sinuses and colds. And allergies!

I have one and actually used it today, but it was really acutely painful on the ears especially. I've always been told when that's the case, stop. And run, don't walk, to your nearest doctor. I'm all about GMO, organic, antibiotic free AMAP, but I am also a trained scientist. Antibiotics are sometimes necessary to continuing good health. I'll knock out the bacteria, then rebalance the intestinal flora, which are still a work in progress anyway.

I have one and actually used it today, but it was really acutely painful on the ears especially. I've always been told when that's the case, stop. And run, don't walk, to your nearest doctor. I'm all about GMO, organic, antibiotic free AMAP, but I am also a trained scientist. Antibiotics are sometimes necessary to continuing good health. I'll knock out the bacteria, then rebalance the intestinal flora, which

are still a work in progress anyway.

I didn't say not to take antibiotics. Neti pots help the congestion out much more effectively and gently than blowing. It also helps prevent cracking and bleeding in the sinuses since the water moisturizes the sinuses. It also helps reduce allergic reactions during allergy season.

I've found the ear pain is usually from an angle issue during irrigation, or a blockage. If changing positions doesn't help, try again in 30 minutes. Sometimes the blockage (I know this is gross) needs to soften up to move.

If you have an ear infection I'm sure everything is painful.

Hope you feel better soon.

saintmaybe Collaborator

I didn't say not to take antibiotics. Neti pots help the congestion out much more effectively and gently than blowing. It also helps prevent cracking and bleeding in the sinuses since the water moisturizes the sinuses. It also helps reduce allergic reactions during allergy season.

I've found the ear pain is usually from an angle issue during irrigation, or a blockage. If changing positions doesn't help, try again in 30 minutes. Sometimes the blockage (I know this is gross) needs to soften up to move.

If you have an ear infection I'm sure everything is painful.

Hope you feel better soon.

Oh yeah, didn't mean to imply you had said skip the antibiotics (though some people do swear to skip them). And I do plan to try the neti pot again later tonight, after the antibiotics have had a chance to kick in. Right now, I'm going to enjoy me new knickers I bought waiting for the pharmacist to fill my prescription. My new favoritist thing in the world is well fitting clothes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kate129 Newbie

I take between 3000iu and 5000iu depending on how I am feeling.. My doctor also told me to take magnesium with it to help with absorption and to take it at night after dinner because it is better absorbed with fat.. He also said don't take it in the am because I am on thyroid med and he said I shouldn't take them together.. Good luck hope you feel great soon!!!

plumbago Experienced

Hello,

I'm not sure if I had any symptoms that I was aware of pre-diagnosis, and before boosting the D.

Now, I am taking 1,000 IUs daily, and one 50,000 IU gel cap weekly. I wish I could tell a difference, perhaps if I knew what to lok for.

(I also give myself Vit B12 injections, and that is it for me, supplement wise)

Plumbago

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

5000 mg a day for 6 months to get just inside normal range on blood tests.

I thought it helped with everything, sleep, digestion, depression, being able to contract my muscles properly, but then again, just being off of wheat for 6 months could have helped all those things too.

hazesdaze Newbie

My doctor prescribed me Drisdol 1.25 Mg (50,000 IU Vitamin D) To take once a week for 6 weeks and then I need to be retested and see him again.

Archived