Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
allergyprone

Banana Allergy?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

ok so lately when i eat bananas my entire mouth goes completely numb, it starts with my lips then my tongue and then the rest of my mouth (i have stopped eating bananas) I was wanting to know if this was an allergy or a sensitivity. and if it is an allergy is it true that I could develope a latex allergy, cause the other day in class (anatomy lab) I had the same symptoms followed by a headache and tightness in my chest/throat, I ended up leaving class but the symptoms went away after about 5 minutes being outside. also could the banana "problem" develope into anaphalyxis? I know i should see my doctor but I am a college student and i won't get to go home till at least thanksgiving

thanks for your responses

allergyprone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have many fruits that do that to me...didn't always happen, but started about 5-10 years ago. Green apples, peaches and cherries are the worst. I also can't eat bananas, but that's because they kill my stomach.

I don't know if it could develop into more, but I wouldn't test it! I've never been "tested" or seen a Dr about these things, I just know to avoid them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much potassium can do funny things to people. Many people report tingling sensations, numbness, increased heart rate, chest pains, nausea, diarrhea and many others.

Another thought...is there cc with latex? do people who wear gloves at your school use latex gloves when handling foods? Could you be that sensational that it would bother you? Not all food would do this because they would use pots and mixing spoons, etc that would touch foods instead of hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any allergy can get worse at any time. Best thing to do is to avoid bananas and latex until you can get to see a dr. If it's an allergy then it won't matter if you stop eating the food as far as testing goes (unlike celaic testing). They will do skin prick and possibly blood tests to test for an IgE allergy. If nothing shows up in the tests the next step would be to eat a banana during an appointment while the dr watches you. I skipped this step in my allergy testing for milk (it made my mouth numb and my tongue and throat swell) but my dr gave me an epipen anyway based on my symptoms and a positive wheat allergy test. You may need a dr's note about the latex if you keep having trouble in lab. It should not be that hard for the class to switch to non-latex gloves but it may require going through the diability office at your school to get accomodated. In the mean time talk to your teacher about why you had to leave, tell him you suspect a latex allergy and if you can afford it offer to buy a box of non-latex gloves for the class. At the very least you will need some non-latex gloves for yourself so if you are going to be buying a box for yourself you might as well share with the class or at least share with your lab partners that you work closely with. I'm sure if you talk to the teacher you can work out a solution so that your health won't be compromised and your grade won't be compromised by missing anymore lab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a serious latex allergy. I remember a slight transient rash with dishwashing gloves YEARS ago and now I have to schedule my grocery shopping appointments because I react to balloons, among many other limitations and inconveniences.

It is more likely that you already have a latex allergy that has crossed over to bananas. That's how it was with me and avacados.

You need to get tested for latex allergy ASAP. Unlike other allergies, latex is not stable. It is progressive. I don't want to scare you but I'd rather you be educated and safe. I am the last person who wants to tell someone they might be latex allergic. If you do have it the sooner the better you start avoiding. I had it for years before I found out and I am now at a very uncomfortable level with reactions. Latex is in band-aids, underwear and socks, pencil erasers, pen grips, rubber bands, stoppers on bottle and syringes, those gloves, etc. There are latex-free versions of many things. The biggest threats are powdered latex gloves and balloons they spread the latex soaked powder airborn in an uncontrollable way. Latex is sensitizing which means that the more you are exposed the more reactive you can become. Any reaction can become the turning point esp. with symptoms you described. Here is more about anaphylaxis and latex allergy http://www.latexallergyresources.org/anaphylaxis-fact-sheet

With symptoms like what you are describing you need an epi-pen. Until you get one, you might consider taking an antihistamine like Alavert each a.m. if you might be exposed. It is not guaranteed to stop anaphylaxis but might help mitigate some symptoms and provide a low level of protection. I take an antihistamine before I experience symptoms and after I've been accidently exposed. I was visiting a Dr.'s office last week and the latex allergic nurse advised me to take one before coming in because she needed it to work there since they still use alot of latex gloves, even though they are powder-free. FYI with the powder, it can get on your clothes and be transported wherever you go. If I am exposed to powdered gloves or balloons I take off all my clothes and wash them and shower. Down the line, if you need a support group let me know. The majority of members are healthcare workers who have good background knowledge to share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would look into OAS, oral allergy syndrome. Sounds like it could be that.

I agree with staying away till you get to or at least talk to your allergist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a latex allergy that's gotten worse over time. I carried my own box of nitrile gloves in college for labs because it was easier than getting the school to provide them. One box lasted a few semesters and I had a lot of labs. Buying your own means you can get the best (textured fingers!) in colors you like and for a few bucks. You'll be the envy of your lab mates ;)

But seriously, take this seriously. What started out as a little rash from gloves now is bordering on anaphylaxis. I never avoided latex fruits before but this week I realized I have NO business eating bananas because I have esophagitis symptoms and a little trouble breathing. I never noticed before because my gluten reactions had me so miserable that the banana reaction was a drop in the bucket. If you can minimize your exposure to latexes, you may have an easier time with accidental exposures later on, especially if you work in a lab someday.

I hope they stop using latex gloves everywhere someday because most folks I know with the allergy have worsened over time, and nitrile is a better barrier in many cases anyway.

Also: some prophylactic Benadryl has helped me in labs on the past. Good luck!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok so lately when i eat bananas my entire mouth goes completely numb, it starts with my lips then my tongue and then the rest of my mouth (i have stopped eating bananas) I was wanting to know if this was an allergy or a sensitivity. and if it is an allergy is it true that I could develope a latex allergy, cause the other day in class (anatomy lab) I had the same symptoms followed by a headache and tightness in my chest/throat, I ended up leaving class but the symptoms went away after about 5 minutes being outside. also could the banana "problem" develope into anaphalyxis? I know i should see my doctor but I am a college student and i won't get to go home till at least thanksgiving

thanks for your responses

allergyprone

Banana and latex cross-react. Yes, your "problem" with both latex and banana could develop into anaphylaxis if you keep exposing yourself to them. Allergic reactions can escalate FAST. Explain the problem to your teacher, making sure he/she understands that you are having problems breathing, and insist on getting nitrile gloves. They should have them in biology or chemistry stockrooms on campus. If for some odd reason none are available, you can often find packs of nitrile gloves at drug stores or you can probably mail order them.

You can get tested over Thanksgiving but for now act as if latex and bananas were quite dangerous.

You should probably avoid other latex/banana cross-reacting foods as well. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/latex.htm has a list of foods you need to avoid until you can get to a doctor and be tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×