violentlyserene

Gluten Free Grocery Guide

Rate this topic

I'm looking at getting a grocery guide to make life a tad easier but I'm not sure of the difference between the available books. If you have one or the other, how do you like it? Is it accurate? I expect a few corrections since that's just the nature of food manufacturing but I'd like something I can rely on without checking the website every time I look at something.

I'm looking at getting a grocery guide to make life a tad easier but I'm not sure of the difference between the available books. If you have one or the other, how do you like it? Is it accurate? I expect a few corrections since that's just the nature of food manufacturing but I'd like something I can rely on without checking the website every time I look at something.

I would recommend Cecelias...It will fit in your purse, easy to find things and it offers listings for skin care, hair care, vitamins and minerals, some meds and cosmetics, too. It is published annually and, I believe you can can e-mail updates of product changes.

It's great for a beginner, but in the long run, it's best to be a good label reader. ;)

I would recommend Cecelias...It will fit in your purse, easy to find things and it offers listings for skin care, hair care, vitamins and minerals, some meds and cosmetics, too. It is published annually and, I believe you can can e-mail updates of product changes.

It's great for a beginner, but in the long run, it's best to be a good label reader. ;)

Thank you! This is definitely not intended to be a permanent crutch, just a help. I'm going to my mom's for thanksgiving and am hoping a quick reference would be helpful for all those iffy ingredients.

I agree with Lisa. Cecelia's grocery shopping guide is very helpful. I think you can find it at www.ceceliasmarketplace.com (that's on the back of book). If you have an iPhone, I use the app "is that gluten free?" ALL the time. Good luck!

I used Cecelia's as well.

The size was great for a purse.

They have a section on their website for you to check if companies have updated any product's status to 'not gluten free anymore.' They make a new book every year that you have to buy, if you want to keep current.

They have a LOT of products.

They have a symbol they put near any product that is made on a gluten free line, or in a gluten free facility, so that's nice if you need to be more careful.

Couple small issues I had were:

- The brands chosen are more mid-west/east coast focused. So there are some common brands in the West that are just not even looked at, like C&H sugar, for example. However, some companies have different names for the same brand (like C&H, which is Dominoes sugar further east), so often you can check out the distributor (on the label) and see if THAT has a match to the book.

- Sometimes the categories are a bit odd, but you can figure them out quickly. Just has a bit of a learning curve on that.

I don't know if any of the other books out there have a wider scope in brands or not. Never checked with them, honestly.