IrishHeart

Condensed Tomato Soup?--Suggestions Appreciated!

Rate this topic

My Mom (who went gluten-free a few months after my DX) tells me on the phone that she is making goulash with the Tinkyada elbows I told her to buy. I said great! ...it hits me....um, Ma, what are you using for the tomato soup? (I know she has used Campbell's Tomato soup in her recipe for 50 years...)

"Campbell's of course! why? "....Um, Ma...go get the can, hunny and read the ingredients....she puts the phone down and in a few minutes I can hear..... SH*T! SH*T! SH*T! :lol: Comes back on and says..."UGH!...why the F$#! do they have to put wheat starch in soup and ruin it !!!????"

That's my spunky 84- year- old Mom!! :)

She dumped it out, made a baked potato instead and had the leftover burger on a roll she made herself from a gluten-free flour mix I sent her from the local gluten-free bakery. Tough cookie, my Mom. Learning the ropes and how to" punt" in a gluten- filled world.

Whomever uses the excuse "it's too late to change"--- hasn't met my Mom.

So, is there a condensed tomato soup that's safe for her to use?? Any help appreciated!! Cheers, IH

So, is there a condensed tomato soup that's safe for her to use?? Any help appreciated!! Cheers, IH

We have been searching for years without success. We, too, have a family recipe that we always made with Campbell's.

We have been searching for years without success. We, too, have a family recipe that we always made with Campbell's.

thanks for the swift reply, Peter!....I have been looking myself and found nothing....Guess I'll have to tell her it's time to rethink the family recipe.

Bummer. :(

Pacific has a tomato soup that is gluten-free. It's not condensed. Might there be a way to use it and cut out other liquid?

Not sure what's in condensed tomato soup. Could you make something similar for a recipe with crushed tomatoes? Might not taste good with a grilled cheese but might work well in a casserole or goulash?

Hey, Irish! Look at this old thread! Maybe that will help.

Hey, Irish! Look at this old thread! Maybe that will help.

Thanks, Karen! :)

I was on the food.com site earlier today looking up recipes and this topic was there.

They suggested using a 6oz.can of tomato paste diluted with 2 cups milk.

I was on the food.com site earlier today looking up recipes and this topic was there.

why thank you, BM! ;) I also just got an email from another member on here who told me that FIG FOODS brand tomato soup is condensed...passing all this info on to Mom...she is very grateful to you all, BTW!!!

That sounds like it would be close and some garlic and onion you have soup :)

IT is not concentrated but when I want tomato soup I use Pacific organic creamy tomato .

My Mom (who went gluten-free a few months after my DX) tells me on the phone that she is making goulash with the Tinkyada elbows I told her to buy. I said great! ...it hits me....um, Ma, what are you using for the tomato soup? (I know she has used Campbell's Tomato soup in her recipe for 50 years...)

"Campbell's of course! why? "....Um, Ma...go get the can, hunny and read the ingredients....she puts the phone down and in a few minutes I can hear..... SH*T! SH*T! SH*T! :lol: Comes back on and says..."UGH!...why the F$#! do they have to put wheat starch in soup and ruin it !!!????"

That's my spunky 84- year- old Mom!! :)

She dumped it out, made a baked potato instead and had the leftover burger on a roll she made herself from a gluten-free flour mix I sent her from the local gluten-free bakery. Tough cookie, my Mom. Learning the ropes and how to" punt" in a gluten- filled world.

Whomever uses the excuse "it's too late to change"--- hasn't met my Mom.

your mom sound amazing :D

your mom sound amazing :D

thanks, Chill...she's all that.... ;) She works out at a gym 3X a week--cardio kick-boxing, aerobics, weight machines and a stair master :blink: --with her "girls" who are in their 60s'. Refuses to hang out with "old people" :lol: I am just glad she took the gene test and my DX seriously...since going gluten-free, she feels GREAT--no more GERD, or insomnia; her life-long heart palps and bouts with C-- vanished, no more fleeting anxiety she was feeling and I had her ask her doc to check her VIT D and thyroid....she had low D and was slightly HYPO, so after supplementing, she's perfectly fine!!!

.... Now, if her daughter could catch up.....in many ways, I'm the "old lady".... :lol:

That would probably make a decent cream of tomato soup. This is a pasta casserole loaded with cholesterol. The tomato "sauce" is an undiluted can of Campbell's tomato soup. There are no other liquid ingredients. We tried it once with tomato paste, but the result was far too dry.

That would probably make a decent cream of tomato soup. This is a pasta casserole loaded with cholesterol. The tomato "sauce" is an undiluted can of Campbell's tomato soup. There are no other liquid ingredients. We tried it once with tomato paste, but the result was far too dry.

yes, Peter, I have to agree that it would not work in the recipe --as I believe Mom uses the soup, sauteed beef and noodles....minimal herbs...it's not very complex, as I recall. In any event, I have suggested she try the Fig Foods condensed soup... As I said, it's at least a 50 year old quickie casserole....but she seems to like it still. My hungarian goulash recipe is "too much work" she says and would never even try to make it...sigh....ok, Ma. :)

Thanks to all who offered suggestions! :)

I have found Heinz cream of tomato soup in the English imports section, and it tastes just like Campbells, but is made with rice flour instead of wheat flour. I found it at Wegman's. Now if I could only find some gluten-free saltines to go with it....

I have found Heinz cream of tomato soup in the English imports section, and it tastes just like Campbells, but is made with rice flour instead of wheat flour. I found it at Wegman's. Now if I could only find some gluten-free saltines to go with it....

ah, saltines....yes, I miss those! sigh

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I live in the part of NYS that does not have a Wegman's...sigh again.... maybe she can find it over in the Boston area where she lives.

I have absolutely NO help to offer, but just wanted to say a huge thank you for sharing the story! It brought a smile to my face this sleepless night!

I have absolutely NO help to offer, but just wanted to say a huge thank you for sharing the story! It brought a smile to my face this sleepless night!

You're welcome....Uh-oH...insomnia? Had it for years. Like 2 hours a night, tops....I had the "racy gluten heebie jeebies " not the "sleepy gluten head" like some people have....just hell....much better 10 months gluten-free...hang in there!

You're welcome....Uh-oH...insomnia? Had it for years. Like 2 hours a night, tops....I had the "racy gluten heebie jeebies " not the "sleepy gluten head" like some people have....just hell....much better 10 months gluten-free...hang in there!

Thanks! My sleep has really been up and down since I went gluten-free. I've always before been a very sound sleeper, but now I have some nights that are good and many that aren't so good. :( But I have complete confidence that it WILL get better once my body fully adjusts. I suspect that I have some mal-absorbtion issues and that I should be supplementing some more vitamins/minerals, but cannot get a doctor to order a nutritional profile to find out for sure so that I know what/how much to supplement. Frusterating!

I found the Heinz tomato soup at Kroger in the International section. Very expensive as it is made in England. Not tomato, but look for Pacific cream of mushroom, celery and chicken. They are condensed and work just like the poison Campbell's ones do.

I found the Heinz tomato soup at Kroger in the International section. Very expensive as it is made in England. Not tomato, but look for Pacific cream of mushroom, celery and chicken. They are condensed and work just like the poison Campbell's ones do.

Thanks very much---I'll pass it on to Mom! ;)

Campbell's has a gluten free tomato with basil and oregano soup in Canada now, so I imagine they'd have it in the US as well. Would that work in your recipe?

Here's the list of their gluten free soups http://campbellsoup.ca/en/products/condensed.asp?cat=5&prod_id=37

In the US, no soups are listed as gluten-free ( except a few broths)

http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/pdf/FAQ_GlutenFreeProductList.pdf