This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Stomach Pain And Bloating

bwcalder1977

bwcalder1977 Rookie

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in Feb of 2009. I had stomach issues since I was in college. Intense pains and diarrhea was just something I thought I would have to live with. After being diagnosed and going on the gluten free diet, the stomach pain and diarrhea went away. The problem that I still have is minor stomach pain and bloating. Major bloating. To the point where it feels (and looks) like i am pregnant, and I am a guy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve the bloating? Also, anyone know of a good nutritionist or dietitian in the chicagoland area?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jswog Contributor

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in Feb of 2009. I had stomach issues since I was in college. Intense pains and diarrhea was just something I thought I would have to live with. After being diagnosed and going on the gluten free diet, the stomach pain and diarrhea went away. The problem that I still have is minor stomach pain and bloating. Major bloating. To the point where it feels (and looks) like i am pregnant, and I am a guy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve the bloating? Also, anyone know of a good nutritionist or dietitian in the chicagoland area?

Thanks!

Is it possible you are still getting trace amounts of gluten, like from CC? Or maybe you are eating too many processed foods? University of Chicago has a Celiac center, so you might want to contact them regarding the nutritionist or dietitian.

YoloGx Rookie

Thanks!

Hi BW,

Sounds to me like you are sensitive to more things than just gluten, assuming you are avoiding all possible cross contamination (CC) with gluten and trace amounts in various supplements/vitamins, cleaning material and shampoos, lip gloss, working with fresh cut materials like dry wall and dry powdered fix all, wet latex paint, fresh cut press wood etc., cutting boards, a gluten contaminated oven, shared kitchen problems etc. and even shaking folks hands or going into and out of a building or handling money or using someone else's phone and then touching your face/lips without washing your face first etc.

Really common culprits are due to leaky gut syndrome caused by damaged villi from no doubt years of having undiagnosed celiac. Its good to investigate one thing at a time by going on an elimination diet to see what is what. Thus common sources like corn, milk, chocolate, sugar (could be candida overgrowth!), potato/tomato/pepper family, legumes etc. should be investigated. For myself it turned out to be salicylates--which is a lot more complicated but still worth it for me to avoid. For some folks it turns out they have to avoid most grains at least for a while.

Alternatively many find by avoiding pre-processed foods it takes care of all their problems in one fell swoop.

Others discover they have a bacterial infection in their gut (go to a good naturopath and have him/her run a culture to find out).

Good luck! I am betting you figure out the answer.

Bea

swcom120 Rookie

Thanks!

I have been gluten free for about 3 months now. I was good for the first few weeks then I started getting pain again. I tried everything the doctors threw at me and some stuff they didnt. Started doing some research and found out the Celiacs have a connection with hypochlorhydria (too little stomach acid). After poisoning myself with Anacids for months i figured it would be worth a try. I got off all the antacids and started up on Betaine HCL with meals. I started off on a small dosage and plan on working my way up if I see some differences. Still fighting the big C but the pain has been a lot better since last Sat. So I have a feeling I am on to something. I had some malnutrition issues as well which I thought was just the Celiac, but now I think its more likely connected to hypochlorhydria. Ill keep you posted on the progress.

Archived