RVluvin

Is Lactose Free Necessary

Rate this topic

It's been about 3 weeks since I was diagnosed celiac, and have been both gluten free and lactose free, and feeling great. I don't mind the soy milk, and the lactose free coffee creamer, but I do miss the chocolat bar and have been unable to find lactose free chocolat, if it even exist. How important is it I remain lactose free while my small intestent heals itself. I have not yet been to my follow up appointment with the doc since the diagnose to ask this question.

You could try a little and see if it upsets you. Some people cannot tolerate lactose at all in the beginning, others can. I did OK with very small amounts (like what would be in chocolate). It may depend on how badly damaged your intestines are. That's wonderful that you are feeling great!

No, it's not necessary for everybody with celiac to avoid lactose. I never had the first problem with it.

richard

No, it's not necessary for everybody with celiac to avoid lactose. I never had the first problem with it.

richard

Yup...only if it bothers you. And many times, after a few weeks you can reintroduce it with out any issue.

I saw a dietician and asked this same question. She said to eat dairy if it doesn't cause problems. She said I could even take a lactaid suppliment if I wanted to drink milk or use it with cereal.

She said if adding a little butter or cheese made things taste better so I'm more inclined to eat..go ahead.

*Some people find they don't tolerate dairy after going gluten-free. Let your body be your guide.

If it does upset your stomach, it may be temporary. I had to go off of dairy, soy and nighshades. Soy still bothers me but dairy and nightshades have been fine for me for a long time. I'm a fan of eating a really clean diet while you're healing anyway. Give your body every tool you can give it to heal and rebuild all that broken stuff in your system. The docs just focus on the GI tract damage, but we celiacs know that inflammation from gluten damages many parts of our bodies. It's important that your little team of rebuilders has great fuel and they don't have to contend with anything they can't deal with.

If dairy does bother you, there is chocolate that doesn't have dairy in it.

Yup...only if it bothers you. And many times, after a few weeks you can reintroduce it with out any issue.

I was told 3-4 weeks Lactose free, giving the Villi a chance to start healing. I plan on waiting the 4 weeks and then a nice Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Can't wait.

I was told 3-4 weeks Lactose free, giving the Villi a chance to start healing. I plan on waiting the 4 weeks and then a nice Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Can't wait.

Just a word of advice....choose your bread carefully. Some gluten free breads suck up the cheese and you're left with cheesy bread....grill quickly.

I gave up dairy for a whole 3 days and then gave in. I'm a vegetarian and dairy is a large source of protein for me. Especially since I wasn't able to eat a lot of my "veggie" substitutes I had at home. I've heard from so many places that when you're first diagnosed with celiac disease that you should go dairy free, but I don't entirely understand it. It depends on the point I guess. If I shouldn't eat it because my small intestine is trying to heal and it could harm/prolong that, then I would abstain. But if it's just because you may be sensitive to stomach upset, then I would continue to eat it. So right now I'm eating it and debating about what to do....so I'm glad you posted this topic!!

If you try the dairy and you DO need a dairy free chocolate, Enjoy Life brand chocolate is pretty good. It's gluten free, dairy free, and free of a few other allergens, too. They make chocolate chips and chocolate bars, both. You'll likely be able to order on-line, if you don't see any in your local stores. :)

This chocolate doesn't melt as nice as dairy chocolate, but if you just BARELY soften it in a microwave, you can sometimes use it to coat things. My kids were softening it and mixing it with Erewhon gluten-free rice krispy type cereal for a while to make a kind of gluten-free chocolate rice krispy bar. :D

Also pretty good when they made Pamela's brand gluten-free pancakes, poured it on the skillet, and then sprinkled these chocolate chips over it before they were flipped to cook the other side.