Asimmonds92

Lupus And Celiac Disease?

Rate this topic

I'm 18 and I have Celiac Disease. At first being on a gluten free diet totally cleared up my symptoms, everything was dandy.

But now I keep going back through phases of exhaustion, muscle aches, and brain fog. A lot of times they're happening when I'm 99% sure I'm not eating any gluten at all. Then last week I broke out into a weird rash that looked like dermatitis. It's nearly gone now.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a chance that I could have Lupus as well? I know that lupus is less likely in males, but I haven't found any studies relating to gender in patients who already have an autoimmune disease.

At this point I'm feeling pretty desperate, so any thoughts you have would help!

Welcome to the board, and do not be undully alarmed :o Your rash could have several different origins. It could be the skin form of celiac, dermatitis herpetiformis. This is activated by iodine in addition to gluten, so if you had gotten a heavy dose of salt, for example, that could have set it off. Do a google for foods containing iodine - things like eggs, asparagus, may surprise you, and avoid them for a while. Or the rash could be another food intolerance, which is quite common in celiacfs, pushing its way to the surface and finally being heard after the gluten has been expelled. Or it could be unrelated to either of those, but it is probably food related. Many of us have mysterious rashes until we find out what is causing them. I had rashes for a good 18 months until I find out all their sources.

Quick question: what kind of rash? Was it bumpy and/or pustular, did it have little white heads or was it a straight sheet kind of rash?

Welcome to the board, and do not be undully alarmed :o Your rash could have several different origins. It could be the skin form of celiac, dermatitis herpetiformis. This is activated by iodine in addition to gluten, so if you had gotten a heavy dose of salt, for example, that could have set it off. Do a google for foods containing iodine - things like eggs, asparagus, may surprise you, and avoid them for a while. Or the rash could be another food intolerance, which is quite common in celiacfs, pushing its way to the surface and finally being heard after the gluten has been expelled. Or it could be unrelated to either of those, but it is probably food related. Many of us have mysterious rashes until we find out what is causing them. I had rashes for a good 18 months until I find out all their sources.

Quick question: what kind of rash? Was it bumpy and/or pustular, did it have little white heads or was it a straight sheet kind of rash?

Interesting, I had never heard about the iodine thing!

It was bumpy with a few white heads in it. It formed in patches that spread.

DH is usuallly intensely itchy/stinging, and can leave residual scarring. It often has the white heads that become blisters that burst leaking clear fluid. But it does manifest in different ways, most of which will drive you nuts wanting to scratch them. :blink:

Ha, definitely itched like crazy! If I get it again, I'll let my doctor take a look at it. I've read that it can be biopsied and confirmed, so that will probably be the next step! Thanks for your help!!

Make sure that your doctor biopsies the clear skin just next to the rash, not the bumps themselves!