srall

8 Year Old Daughter Taking A Trip With Her Dad

Rate this topic

My husband who is not gluten free and he is taking my daughter to Oklahoma for the weekend. They are flying.

So, I'm trying to get them ready to go, including instructions for him, which are now second nature to me, but I'm worried he won't think of things ahead of time. They are staying at his uncle's house. I still feel like his family doesn't take this all seriously...they are a medical family and neither of us have tested positive for celiac. We are diagnosed based on dietary response. So...I'm really counting on my husband to advocate for my daughter. And she's good about what she can and can't eat too. She cannot eat gluten, dairy or any corn/corn syrup.

So, I'll make muffins and send enough snacks for the plane ride (2 hrs) plus enough food in case they are stranded somewhere for any reason.

Once he's there he should go to the store and buy some safe foods: peanut butter, fruit, eggs, safe meat to cook there.

He's taking her to a football game, so he needs to remember to always have safe food with him in case she gets hungry.

He will need to watch the cc in his uncle's house (I'm very skeptical about this one...for either of them to take this seriously)

He needs to make sure he has food saved for the plane ride home.

Am I forgetting anything else...

If you really thought she was in danger, you wouldn't let her go. :huh:

Maybe remind him of the specifics of how sick she gets. The gruesome details - uncontrollable diarhea, sad & cries, whatever. If she has bad D, she can't come home on a plane.

Plus, give her the same list, too. Maybe if one forgets something the other will remember. Also, list brands. Like : Hormel or Brand X turkey coldcuts.

Enjoy your time alone!

Karen, he's been away with her before but close to home...I think it's just that they will be out of state and there are planes involved. I don't think she'll be in danger if he gets her food and remembers to have food with him always. That's what I'm most afraid of...is her being hungry and there isn't anything he can do for her for hours. Or being stranded on the plane or at an airport. He has definitely seen the fallout if she gets contaminated. I still just don't think he really gets cc and how that needs to be monitored.

That's a great idea to give L. the same list. I will do that.

Karen, he's been away with her before but close to home...I think it's just that they will be out of state and there are planes involved. I don't think she'll be in danger if he gets her food and remembers to have food with him always. That's what I'm most afraid of...is her being hungry and there isn't anything he can do for her for hours. Or being stranded on the plane or at an airport. He has definitely seen the fallout if she gets contaminated. I still just don't think he really gets cc and how that needs to be monitored.

That's a great idea to give L. the same list. I will do that.

If her list says; Sat Football game - pack sandwich, fruit snacks, etc.

Does she eat nuts? I always keep an emergency pack with me. Maybe she could have a small baggie in her backpack labelled "for emergency only". Dad could have one in his pack, too.

Maybe sit down with him and say that you want them to have fun so that is why you just want to go over a few things about cc. Keep it brief or you will lose him. :)

Yeah...I thought more about that cc issue. I think just reminding him it's like raw meat, it just can't touch her food at all. I think because our kitchen is primarily gluten free it doesn't come up enough. I'll talk to both him and L. about cc. And yes to the nuts. They are a life saver for us. And I'll give him a lunch to pack for the game. Really good suggestions. Thnx.

To avoid a lot off cc I would mention:

always cooking in aluminum foil and having her eat first whenever possible

You can throw in a jar of pb and jelly in suitcase and a frozen loaf of bread just to be sure. If you can manage it a box of cereal for munching on also.

My daughter has a mess kit from girl scouts and I sent to my sisters with her when she spent the night and she loved it.

Also, list brands. Like : Hormel or Brand X turkey coldcuts.

I think this is important. Then your hubby will know exactly what to buy. I know my husband doesn't pay attention to that kind of detail. This is the same kind of info that I email ahead of time to my in-laws so that they can shop and have items already on hand before we get there.

I would also give him a list of safe airport food just in case they get stuck there for whatever reason. What(overpriced)prepackaged items can he get in the airport shops? I've seen Kind Bars and bottled fruit smoothies at Starbucks...that sort of thing.

Are you sending a cutting board, knife, pan, and sponges? Having his own stuff to use will make cc issues much easier to avoid.

He cares...trust him!

Are you sending a cutting board, knife, pan, and sponges? Having his own stuff to use will make cc issues much easier to avoid.

He cares...trust him!

A word of caution . . . don't let him carry a knife onto the plane . . . just sayin'