This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Why Does The Reaction Linger So Long

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am wondering if anyone knows why the reaction to gluten lingers for a while. First the gas and stomach issues, mucus,D, joint pain, anxiety...etc....then I get a massive headache then C then finally cold sores all over my face. This all takes about 2 weeks and then I am good to go until the next time and it all repeats. Just wondering why it all is so drawn out?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celtic Queen Explorer

I don't know why it's so drawn out, but I have the same problem. It takes me 10 days to 2 weeks to get it all out of my system. That's more frustrating to me than staying on the diet. I have no problem not eating gluten, but I get so frustrated when I get glutened by accident and know that's two weeks of my life that I'll feel bad.

Maybe that's how long it takes for it to get out of your intestines and blood?

Leper Messiah Apprentice

Yeah me neither although I'd be delighted to know what's going on over the 2/2.5 weeks I get nailed. All I know is that it makes me really really tired!!

I also get frustrated when I get glutenned especially when I try so hard to avoid it. I guess you just have to be wary of everything and anything that touches your lips.

blueshabooMoon Apprentice

I am wondering if anyone knows why the reaction to gluten lingers for a while. First the gas and stomach issues, mucus,D, joint pain, anxiety...etc....then I get a massive headache then C then finally cold sores all over my face. This all takes about 2 weeks and then I am good to go until the next time and it all repeats. Just wondering why it all is so drawn out?

Thanks!

Thanksfoe posting about this, I follow strictest gluten free eating and I know I have been gluttened somehow, had 13 days chronic Diarhea, cannot leave house, cannot go up to hospital see my new born grandson, am reduced tears and I never cry. Feels like 7 months ago before celiac diagnosis, scares me that I will relaspe get wrdsw worse again.I am going to live on chicken broth, roast chicken, gluten free yogurt, blandest foods see if I can pull myself out of this nightmare. Terrilynne

Macbre Explorer

Thanks!

I don't know why it last so long either, but I did try something different the last time I was accidently glutened. Even though I felt horrible and had absolutely no energy and my joints ached...I made myself exercise....I have to say that I sweated more than usual but I felt better afterwards and my symptoms didn't last as long. I guess sweating is kind of like a detox for your body. I know most people will think there is NO WAY they can exercise when they feel so bad, but I think it helps. I didn't leave the house because I knew I couldn't get too far from the bathroom, so I popped a workout disk in and and suffered through it. I told my husband that no matter how sick I get in the future with accidental glutenings that I want him to encourage me to exercise because it definitly made a difference.

bartfull Rising Star

I don't know if it will work for gluten (probably not), but a friend suggested I drink a glass of water with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to get the salicylates out of my body. I looked it up, and it IS suggested for metal poisoning, AND for salicylates.

That's probably why it WON'T work for gluten though - heavy metals are somehow bound in the baking soda and excreted. And for the salicylates, well, those are an acid, and I guess the baking soda neutralizes them.

Just a stab in the dark. Who knows, maybe it WILL work on gluten, and it can't hurt.

DerpTyler Newbie

Holy crap I feel for you guys, my symptoms(Diarhea) usually only last about an hr if I have a little bit of gluten accidentally.

also when I was undiagnosed but still having bad stomach pains my doctor gave me some pills to take when I was having problems and they actually helped and stopped the cramps within 15mins, not sure what they were called though sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

I checked out a book on AI diseases about 2 years ago. I can't attribute the author, but she said a good soak with a mixture of epsom salts and baking soda (I believe two cups of the former and 1 cup of the latter) was really good as a detox soak. I personally like to add pepperment oil.

The soak has never hurt me, and has made me feel better than I felt before, so I thought I'd post. You should use water as hot as you can stand to soak in. I'm not a freak, but the book said you should lay in the hot bath and visualize the toxins being soaked out of your body. I can do that. I'm not sure if it helps (the visualization thing), but it's worth giving it a whirl when times are tough.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Thanks!

I don't have the source to cite for you at the moment, but when I last looked up the reasearch, the chemical reaction that causes intestinal damage is somewhat self-sustaining in the intestines - it requires gluten to trigger it, but it can propel itself for some time after that. It lasts generally up to two weeks.

Archived