This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sharing An Experience...

unknown

Jestgar Rising Star

Your analysis makes sense. I think they picked out SH2B3 from that stretch of DNA partly on biological evidence. It codes for an adapter protein called Lnk that mediates cytokine receptor signaling. Lnk has also been implicated in Type 1 diabetes, and as we're well aware there is a propensity for people with Type 1 to also have celiac.

I loaded up genbank and looked at that region of the chromosome. It's hard to make any argument for ATXN2 involvement in celiac, particularly with the cytokine data in the paper. CUX2, FAM109A... who knows???

By the way, I'm sorry to be wandering off into geek-speak. I don't get to talk celiac science very often because it's not my main research. This is a rare indulgence so please forgive me and Jestgar. B)

I didn't think the ataxin had anything to do with celiac disease, it was just the other nearby gene with SNPs, although it did make me wonder about the frequent ataxia issues people experience with gluten intolerance. I'm too tired to think it through, but maybe it's one of those dragged along mutations and gluten intolerance doesn't directly lead to ataxia, but maybe the constant inflammation associated with the disease somehow triggers a polymorphic form of ATXN2....

And yes, thank you everyone for your indulgence. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I would pity them. To be that cynical is a sad way to live. They sound like they have hearts of stone. I'd rather be me than them, even with celiac.

kareng Grand Master

By the way, I'm sorry to be wandering off into geek-speak. I don't get to talk celiac science very often because it's not my main research. This is a rare indulgence so please forgive me and Jestgar. B)

I think it's cute! :lol:

Actually, it's great to have you genetic/ science geeks. My son has asked me several things about his genetic chances & I can tell him the things you say.

Lori2 Contributor

Actually, it's great to have you genetic/ science geeks. My son has asked me several things about his genetic chances & I can tell him the things you say.

tictax707 Apprentice

I too, am happy to listen to the geek speek. ;) As a neuroscientist by training, I am not a pro at the molecular biology, but I did make a transgenic mouse during my post doc years, so I can follow along somewhat and enjoy the experience.

unknown Apprentice

Hey everyone!

I have an awesome update!

I was in the kitchen talking about how I think I accidently glutened myself because my stomach hurts and I'm feeling bloated, and the guy who made those comments walked in and asked if I have celiac disease. I looked him right in the eyes and said yes. Then I walked over to his desk and started talking to him about it and he had the nerve to say that whole modern medicine is what is keeping autoimmune diseases in existance, darwin, blah, blah...and I told him about the research suggesting otherwise. The look on his face was PRICELESS! I also added that on the positive side of my genetics is that I have pattern A cholesterol and genetically high HDL and that my family hasn't been affected by any heart problems and other than my mother, my family have all lived long lives. Then he said that he suffers from high cholesterol and that heart problems run in his family. And, of course, I DO NOT wish anything bad on him or his family...but it was nice to hear that mister so-called perfect isn't perfect after all. Maybe he shouldn't be talking about modern medicine and autoimmune diseases and focus on his own issues (that modern medicine helps).

Oh, and I'm no longer in the feeling sorry for myself frame of mind. I have felt so frinkin' awesome since going gluten free (except for today), that I don't care who knows I have celiac disease. :) And I love the trader joe's gluten free waffles. Man, they are so good! My only problem now is my skin. I am having major rash, itching and dry skin issues. Hopefully these will resolve soon.

Thank you everyone!!!

Skylark Collaborator

Great news! I'm glad to hear you're feeling awesome. You might even have helped your friend by opening his mind about cholesterol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived