Googles

Heartburn As A Gluten Reaction

Rate this topic

So one of my gluten symptoms is heartburn and nausea and a pressure like my stomach is trying to press up through my diaphragm. How do others deal with it? I take tums for it, but it doesn't help. Do others have things that work better? After I eat I get nauseous (though previously I have had times where I would be nauseous all the time). Why can't it stop and stick to one set of symptoms? And yes I'm sure this wasn't something else. When I get usually sick (from sinus infections to the stomach flu) I loose my appetite.

Sounds more like reflux. I hit the Pepto hard. I don't advocate this, but I don't follow dosing instructions; I just swig straight from the bottle.

Nothing knocks out my reflux, but ginger ale or sprite, white rice (dry with just a little salt for flavor) and Altoids usually help. Stick with a bland diet for a few days until the reflux/heartburn is gone.

It does sound like reflux. You could try prilosec.

As far as getting nauseous, switch over to broth, ginger ale, Jello and other clear liquids until the nausea subsides. Then try really bland foods like rice, applesauce, or bananas (BRAT diet). I have to do that when I get glutened.

digestive enzymes help to alleviate my reflux, especially after large meals. If tums don't work (they didn't work for me unless I took the max dose) you could try baking soda in water, which is a different kind of antacid. I found a brand of antacid with baking soda as the main ingredient that helped. It is also very beneficial to keep a food and symptoms diary to see if you can track down what causes your reflux and then avoid those foods from then on.

common culprits are

foods

- peppermint

- alcohol

- chocolate

- acidic foods, such as citrus or tomatoes

- oil and very fatty food

- spicy food

behaviours

- eating too much at once

- lying down too soon after a meal

if your reflux is 24/7 like mine, it'll take a lot more to kick it down...

Look at what you are eating. It is possible you are getting too much acid thru your foods. I had to go to a low acid diet and if I eat anything that might cause irritation I take an antacid before. If something I eat gives me issues aftr eating it I take Pepto. A low acidic diet really could help you though!

Thank you all for your replies. They really help. It isn't about laying down because it would happen no matter what I did. I would eat at work and have trouble for the next couple of hours. Even when drinking something. It is getting better. I will make sure to eat easier foods to digest when this happens. It would be really nice if the reactions would stay the same from glutening to glutening as if it comes without the D sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what is going on.

Thank you all for your replies. They really help. It isn't about laying down because it would happen no matter what I did. I would eat at work and have trouble for the next couple of hours. Even when drinking something. It is getting better. I will make sure to eat easier foods to digest when this happens. It would be really nice if the reactions would stay the same from glutening to glutening as if it comes without the D sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what is going on.

I would highly recommend pro-biotics. I had terrible hearburn/indigestion before I was diganosed,and I started the Natren pro-biotics and now they help when I've been crossed contaminated. I don't go a day without them.

Did you have an endoscopy? Was any hiatal hernia discovered? Hiatal hernia is when a part of the stomach is pushed into the diaphragm. Do you get hiccups too?

I had terrible heart burn before my Celiac was dx'd, but now that I'm gluten free, my heart burn is entirely gone. I have a hiatal hernia too, discovered only when I had my endoscopy, and bubbly drinks like ginger ale and such would not be recommended. Nor is peppermint. The bubbles would just aggravate the hernia, but a non-fizzy ginger drink, maybe some tea, or a ginger anti-nauseant might help.

Smaller, and more frequent meals, rather than 3 large meals per day can also help.

http://sometimeweesha.blogspot.com/2006/08/hiatal-hernia-diet-for-heartburn.html

Did you have an endoscopy? Was any hiatal hernia discovered? Hiatal hernia is when a part of the stomach is pushed into the diaphragm. Do you get hiccups too?

I had terrible heart burn before my Celiac was dx'd, but now that I'm gluten free, my heart burn is entirely gone. I have a hiatal hernia too, discovered only when I had my endoscopy, and bubbly drinks like ginger ale and such would not be recommended. Nor is peppermint. The bubbles would just aggravate the hernia, but a non-fizzy ginger drink, maybe some tea, or a ginger anti-nauseant might help.

Smaller, and more frequent meals, rather than 3 large meals per day can also help.

http://sometimeweesha.blogspot.com/2006/08/hiatal-hernia-diet-for-heartburn.html

I did get and endoscopy. They didn't find a hernia. I do get hiccups, but I think they are more related to stress than what I eat. I only get the heartburn/pressure when I get glutened, but then it can last for a couple of weeks. Right now with my practicum I am having crazy hours and am lucky if I can get any meals at regular times.

Thanks everyone for your input.