alicewa

Is The Autoimmunity Always There, Even Once Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

The questions may sound confusing. But what I'm trying to find out is if I'm still having damage to my gut, even though I'm strictly on a gluten free diet. My doctor told me that over 50% of celiacs don't make a full recovery, even when on a strict gluten free diet, which is the reason for the vaccine.

Sometimes I wonder if the immune system may 'more mildly' continue to attack the lining of the small bowel or cause inflammation and elevated antibody levels and they just increase by a lot once gluten is introduced.

The number of people with celiac disease who do not recover 100% is partly a result of the ignorance of the medical community about the disease. The longer you go undiagnosed, the more damage that is done.

I have been gluten-free for more than eleven years, but I will never recover 100%. Years of malabsorption damaged my bones, and while my osteoporosis is not getting worse, it will never go away.

My intestines are fully healed, and my health is good. But I know that I can never, ever eat gluten again.

I think part of the problem is that it's too hard to eat truly gluten-free unless you avoid all processed foods and never eat out. The stuff is everywhere. There's decent evidence that some celiacs are casein-sensitive too, and I wonder about casein triggering low levels of autoimmunity.