This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reaction Question

Strawberry-Jam

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

I work at LUSH in Dublin now, and I like their products (soaps, shampoos, lotions, bath stuff, etc) because they are handmade, most of them are vegan, and the ingredients are all very simple and clearly spelled out on the labels. They use mostly natural ingredients like essential oils (coconut, almond, peppermint, that kind of thing) as well, and it's nice to get away from harsh chemicals and things that I cannot pronounce which may not be good for me.

Some of the products, however, have oats in them, and it is possible that one or two has wheat ingredients. Tonight I am going to go thru their catalogue and read every ingredient in every product and draw a huge X mark thru the ones I should not ever use or touch while at work. I am also going to be very vigilant about washing my hands before, during, and after work since there can be oat CC around where the soaps are cut and wrapped, etc. (luckily, when it comes to buying soap, the oat CC is very quickly washed away since it's on SOAP--and the other products come in closed containers).

However, at work yesterday I was sniffing an oat-containing bar soap and it touched my lips because I have a very poor sense of the space my body is taking up. (I regularly hit my shoulders on door frames, for example). Is this enough exposure for me to have a gluten reaction? I wiped my lips on my sleeves but later I could taste soap in my mouth, although it could've been my overactive imagination because I was so worried about it.

thoughts and tips, please?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NateJ Contributor

I work at LUSH in Dublin now, and I like their products (soaps, shampoos, lotions, bath stuff, etc) because they are handmade, most of them are vegan, and the ingredients are all very simple and clearly spelled out on the labels. They use mostly natural ingredients like essential oils (coconut, almond, peppermint, that kind of thing) as well, and it's nice to get away from harsh chemicals and things that I cannot pronounce which may not be good for me.

Some of the products, however, have oats in them, and it is possible that one or two has wheat ingredients. Tonight I am going to go thru their catalogue and read every ingredient in every product and draw a huge X mark thru the ones I should not ever use or touch while at work. I am also going to be very vigilant about washing my hands before, during, and after work since there can be oat CC around where the soaps are cut and wrapped, etc. (luckily, when it comes to buying soap, the oat CC is very quickly washed away since it's on SOAP--and the other products come in closed containers).

However, at work yesterday I was sniffing an oat-containing bar soap and it touched my lips because I have a very poor sense of the space my body is taking up. (I regularly hit my shoulders on door frames, for example). Is this enough exposure for me to have a gluten reaction? I wiped my lips on my sleeves but later I could taste soap in my mouth, although it could've been my overactive imagination because I was so worried about it.

thoughts and tips, please?

judging by what I've read here in the past, people seem to have different levels of reaction. They vary widely as do the symptoms. I try not to be to overly crazy about it, but when I get to not feeling good I kick myself for being lazy.

I wonder if there is a list of safe cosmetic products. Like normal store bought ones? I don't have time to order or go to a specialty store to buy them, but its the one thing i haven't changed yet.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Everyone is different when it comes to exposure to gluten. You'll need to find out from experience what causes reactions.

By the way, the description that you gave of not being aware of where you are in space? That indicates that you might be having proprioception problems and can indicate a Vitamin E deficiency. I've suffered from this symptom for all of my adult life, but I believe that it's one of those symptoms I'll just have to live with....because I went gluten free nearly eight years ago, and I still have no idea where I am! Seriously, you might do a key word search online about proprioception--I'm sure you'll find it both interesting and familiar.

cool new word I just learned--thanks.

I don't think that's my problem though. I have a nonverbal learning disorder and that is one of the symptoms--had it since I was a child, along with difficulty in voice volume modulation and the perception/reading of body language and other visual-spatial/nonverbal skills that I'm slower with than normal people. (At least I have a proper diagnosis for "terrible handwriting" so that it doesn't mean I'm just lazy! :P )

I ask about the reaction because I'm not symptom-free so I cannot tell what I'm getting sick from and what I'm not. I'd like to know if others would react to this so I can know of part of my problem is glutenings like this on a regular basis.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Personally, yes, I would react to a soap that contains oat. If I touch wheat or gluten in any form, my hands itch and I break out in a rash on both forearms (but it's not DH). My DH has cleared up, and I haven't had an outbreak in quite a while because I'm extremely diligent about eating gluten free.

Do you ever kiss anyone who is wearing lipstick? Do you touch things that others have just touched (who have eaten something with wheat)? Tracking down a gluten source can be difficult, especially if you're super-sensitive.

By the way, neurological problems in children with celiac are some of the most common symptoms. Celiac is now considered a disease of the brain as well as a disease of the gut. Many of us never lose the neurological problems caused by celiac in childhood or adulthood. My migraines went away, but the neuropathy, proprioception, and memory glitches (inability to recall what I've just seen or heard) are still with me.

I don't kiss anyone ever (I'm in an asexual phase at the moment) and I'm really bad about touching my face; I need to break that habit so I don't stroke my lips or something like that with gluten on my fingers.

The nonverbal learning disorder was diagnosed via IQ test. The main marker is a huge discrepancy between verbal skills and nonverbal skills--with the nonverbal lagging behind the verbal significantly. I don't think this is gluten-related. Altho parts of it may be. idk. It is very mild though. subclinical is what they said.

I need to be more careful of everything... but what can I do, wash down my entire flat every day? I worry about gluten on my elbows and in my shopping bag. I'm so paranoid. idk.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Ha ha! I meant kissing dear old Aunt Mabel or Granny Smith--the kind that wears bright red lipstick.

Yes, you can only be so careful. After I've touched a grocery cart or someone else's phone or keyboard, I always wash my hands before I touch my face. However, sometimes it's hard to remember.

Good luck to you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

For me I probably would react to touching the soap not on my skin but by contaminating other things or putting my hands to my face. I am extremely intolerant to oats even gluten free oats. I have to call companies to see if they process any gluten free oats and if they do I won't use their products. I won't touch any personal care products with it in either, since aside from the oat reaction it is cross contaminated from wheat. Since you are having symptoms, I would stay clear just in case.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Strawberry_Jam

In past posts etc you have shown to be very very articulate, knowlegable and well read.

I'm suprised you consider yourself as having a (problem, disability etc ((i HATe# THESE terms)))

This afternoon and tonight ( I am in Australia) I am crazy itchy annoying I do not know what to call it. I feel llike nuts.

Let us know what your specific ailments or issues are be them physical or otherwise. Most of my issues now are ((I think, mostly)) psych and forum posters are very helpful.

llama3 Apprentice

The nonverbal learning disorder was diagnosed via IQ test. The main marker is a huge discrepancy between verbal skills and nonverbal skills--with the nonverbal lagging behind the verbal significantly. I don't think this is gluten-related. Altho parts of it may be. idk. It is very mild though. subclinical is what they said.

NLD is considered by many to be on the autistic spectrum, and many people on the spectrum seem to have trouble with gluten and casein. So there is probably some connection. It could just be that people with autistic traits tend to be more sensitive to things in general (eg. sensitivities to drugs and chemicals are common).

Archived