Monklady123

Here's A Silver Lining To Celiac.... Weight Watchers!

Rate this topic

Lol. I went on Weight Watchers a couple of years ago and lost 50 pounds. That was before I had to be gluten free. So, as do many people who lose weight, I stopped being so careful and gained back 20 pounds. :o:blink:

Now I'm back on WW, still using the old points system because I haven't yet been able to get to a meeting to learn about the new plan. But, I've realized how many points I'm NOT using on bread or pasta! A lot! Which means there's more space in the day for other foods. I ate a lunch today that totally filled me up, for not many points. (a HUGE salad with turkey, and apple, and a cheese stick...I shouldn't have eaten the cheese stick, actually, since I wasn't really hungry by then. lol) Before celiac I would have thought I had to have bread with that salad, or have a sandwich with two slices. And I ate a LOT of pasta back then.

Anyway, that's my silver lining for the day. ;) (And even without attending a meeting yet I've lost 4.5 pounds in almost 3 weeks.) :)

Good for you! :)

That IS a silver lining!

For ten years, I was seriously overweight (at one point, I weighed 220 at 5'4" :ph34r: ) and no matter how hard I tried, I never lost much weight (even on weight watchers).

Then, the Celiac triggered and I was so ill, I lost 96 lbs. :blink: Go figure. Not the best way to lose the weight, and I really got down to the"emaciated look" before DX, but have gained about 14 lbs. and look better. (So I am told.) I have to be careful, as I do not want to balloon back up, now that I am absorbing nutrients once more.

Following the Points system is a GREAT idea!

My Mom lost 20 lbs. going to Weight Watchers (and then had to go gluten-free right after I did) and she told the group at the meeting. They told her gluten-free living and weight watchers work beautifully together--for the very reasons you have cited. Since Mom is not a "snacker" anyway, she does just fine.

She incorporates the occassional gluten-free roll or Tinkyada pasta and still maintains. And as a bonus, feels great without gluten causing her GERD, insomnia, etc.

Best wishes to you!!! :)

My sister is on WW and there are gluten free recipes too!

being gluten-free certainly made me more healthy (at first). I was eating a lot more natural ingredients, a lot more protein, more veg (although I need to work on eating even more veg). Often it forces me to buy organic because they have less objectionable additives (like organic tuna, the only canned tuna at kroger with no soya in it!)

At the moment, though, because of my relapse of symptoms, idk how healthy I am because of how much I am restricting my diet to eliminate possibilities... I really hope I don't lose weight, to be honest. Before diagnosis I lost 15 lbs in two weeks by starvation because I switched to an all-liquid diet for my reflux since no meds helped, and I severely reduced my intake as well. Turns out later that the drinks I had were filled with dairy and soya......... fffff.

now I'm kinda powering thru the reflux and just forcing myself to eat anyway and to take supplements that ought to help. but if it keeps up I may naturally start eating less until I'm losing weight again...

EDIT

sorry to rain on your parade :(

It made me lose weight, too.

I struggled with childhood obesity until I was 16. I was about 5'1 and 200lbs, when I turned 15-16 I had a major growth spurt and over that period of time grew to 5'7 and the weight shifted and I was able to lose it. I gained it back when I was 21. I was 5'7 and 200lbs again. I started going to the gym, but around the same time, celiac triggered really badly, and I lost the extra 60lbs really fast, and since then, I've only been able to gain around 8lbs. From September 2010 till September 2011 I had school 6 days a week, and worked 2 part time jobs, I was eating poorly (still gluten free, but lots of fast food and ice cream) and I didn't ever have time to exercise, and I only gained about 8 pounds in the year. I honestly think I had celiacs even as a child. It explains so much that was wrong with me. Apparently wheat is a big trigger to childhood obesity, and my mom was telling me how I never used to feel well, ever. I was such an unhealthy child.

Often it forces me to buy organic because they have less objectionable additives (like organic tuna, the only canned tuna at kroger with no soya in it!)

Just FYI, BUMBLEBEE low sodium tuna in the GOLD can has no soybean oil :)