This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Bread Crumbs

misskatycat

misskatycat Newbie

I just started using schar brand gluten free breadcrumbs. I am not picky and think these taste fine. I have tried to make chicken cutlets and stuff like that that requires breadcrumbs but I can't get the breadcrumbs to stick to the meat. When I bread them they stick but once I start frying them they fall off. I should not that I am allergic to eggs as well and don't use them but I use the ener-g egg replacer which has a pretty similar consistency to eggs so I don't think that's the problem. I want the crumbs to stick and they just fall off, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sariesue Explorer

To bread chicken I dip the meat in gluten-free flour, then egg, then the bread crumbs. To get the crumbs to stick I press them into the meat. Then if they still look unbreaded once in the dish I put more on the meat and press on again. Perhaps some of that is helpful.

misskatycat Newbie

To bread chicken I dip the meat in gluten-free flour, then egg, then the bread crumbs. To get the crumbs to stick I press them into the meat. Then if they still look unbreaded once in the dish I put more on the meat and press on again. Perhaps some of that is helpful.

Thanks, I will give that a try. But the problem is them not sticking once they are frying in the pan, they wont stick when cooking.

Lisa Mentor

Could you try baking them instead. You could dip in egg substitute or milk and dredge in seasoned gluten free flour mix and fried.

misskatycat Newbie

Could you try baking them instead. Or, perhaps use a seasoned gluten free flour mix, dipped in egg substitute or milk and then fried.

I have thought of baking them instead or maybe its the brand of breadcrumbs I've been using. Who knows. I haven't had breaded chicken cutlets in so long I gave them a try recently but just can't seem to get it right.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Press, and repeat the coat and bread.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I've noticed that gluten-free crumbs fall off more too, and I use crumbs made from UDI bread. Do you know if you're allergic to egg white or yolk?

I wonder if we mixed honey with the milk if it the crumbs would stick better when sauteeing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

misskatycat Newbie

I've noticed that gluten-free crumbs fall off more too, and I use crumbs made from UDI bread. Do you know if you're allergic to egg white or yolk?

I wonder if we mixed honey with the milk if it the crumbs would stick better when sauteeing.

Well I have never been formally diagnosed with an egg allergy. Around the time I got diagnosed with celiac disease I started getting violently sick to eggs. Whole eggs that is. Fried, scrambled, boiled, in pudding, custards. The only time I don't get sick is when eggs are used in baking like cakes, cookies, or biscuits. So I have not idea if its the yolk or white and the pain is so bad i am afraid to experiment without going to an allergist. So how do you make the crumbs from the bread? Its either that the egg replacer isnt sticky enough which I think they are or the brand of crumbs im using.

sa1937 Community Regular

I used to have problems with even gluteny crumbs falling off. When I bread something (very rarely), I find it works best to use breading on only one side of the meat, flipping it over and then sticking it in the oven to finish baking. No more soggy bottom crust.

Since you can't use eggs, you might want to use milk (dairy or non-dairy) before dipping the meat in crumbs. I use my blender to make bread crumbs...and since I do bake my own bread, there's never a shortage of crumbs around here.

Well I have never been formally diagnosed with an egg allergy. Around the time I got diagnosed with celiac disease I started getting violently sick to eggs. Whole eggs that is. Fried, scrambled, boiled, in pudding, custards. The only time I don't get sick is when eggs are used in baking like cakes, cookies, or biscuits. So I have not idea if its the yolk or white and the pain is so bad i am afraid to experiment without going to an allergist. So how do you make the crumbs from the bread? Its either that the egg replacer isnt sticky enough which I think they are or the brand of crumbs im using.

I stick a piece of frozen gluten-free bread in my mini food processer and give it a whirl.

I can do egg whites but not yolks. I avoided egg whites for a long time but went to an allergist and it ended up being the yolks that were giving me a run. Like you, I can do whole eggs in baked recipes. I'm not saying that you and I are the same, but it might be something worthwhile investigating.

If it's the yolk you're allergic to, you can still do meringues (cookies, shells for fruit desserts, egg white omelets, other stuff.

misskatycat Newbie

I'll have to try the egg white thing. They are healthier. I'm just afraid to go to an allergist becaue a friend of mine went and found out she was allergic to like 10 different things that she ate all of the time. Sounds dumb but she turned out to be allergic to chocolate which I love and she ate it all of the time but was allergic to it and caffeine. Ugh! And way the frozen bread crumb thing? One slice? I have a mini food processor. Would that work? Sounds interesting.

misskatycat Newbie

Another thing if anyOne can relate or help. My friend said her dad got sick off store bought eggs but not from the chicken eggs they got from the chickens on their farm. Any thoughts?

sa1937 Community Regular

I'll have to try the egg white thing. They are healthier. I'm just afraid to go to an allergist becaue a friend of mine went and found out she was allergic to like 10 different things that she ate all of the time. Sounds dumb but she turned out to be allergic to chocolate which I love and she ate it all of the time but was allergic to it and caffeine. Ugh! And way the frozen bread crumb thing? One slice? I have a mini food processor. Would that work? Sounds interesting.

Wow! I'd certainly hate to have to give up either chocolate or caffeine (as I'm sitting here having my first cup of coffee).

I usually do dry bread crumbs using up misc. scraps of bread...slices or the heels of loaves of bread. If I make dry bread crumbs, I'll put them in a pan in the oven first to dry them out and slightly toast them. You can break them up into pieces and then throw them in the food processor, put them in a container and then stick them in the freezer to have on hand. I have some to do now after cleaning out the dribs and drabs from my freezer. I'll use my blender though as I have quite a few to process. I've even put them in a plastic Ziploc bag and rolled a soup can over them to crush them. Hey, whatever works.

Fresh bread crumbs can be made basically the same way...just tear into pieces and then process. I have used my mini food processor for smaller quantities.

sa1937 Community Regular

Another thing if anyOne can relate or help. My friend said her dad got sick off store bought eggs but not from the chicken eggs they got from the chickens on their farm. Any thoughts?

No clue here but if he can eat eggs from the farm, I'd sure keep buying them rather than store bought. They'd also be a lot fresher.

misskatycat Newbie

Thanks for your help. After processing the crumbs do I toast them in the oven? I think I've seen Rachel Ray do it, but with gluten bread.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks for your help. After processing the crumbs do I toast them in the oven? I think I've seen Rachel Ray do it, but with gluten bread.

Well, it depends. Do you want toasted dry bread crumbs or just fresh bread crumbs? If you want dry bread crumbs, it might be easier to just toast the pieces of bread first.

I would think what would work for gluteny bread would also work for gluten-free bread. What do you want to use the crumbs for?

misskatycat Newbie

I have been trying to make breaded chicken breasts (cutlets). Haven't had luck with them.

sa1937 Community Regular

I have been trying to make breaded chicken breasts (cutlets). Haven't had luck with them.

What if you were to dredge them in a bland gluten-free all-purpose flour, dip them in milk of your choice (dairy or non-dairy) since you can't have eggs and then coat them in gluten-free bread crumbs? I think I'd brown them on one side only and then flip them over and put them in a greased glass baking dish to finish baking in the oven.

Dang, now I'm hungry for them!!! I think I may have to make Chicken Parmigiana tonight!!!

misskatycat Newbie

Lol. That's the recipe I was trying to make in the first place. It tasted good but the crumbs got mushy and fell of. Even with the dredging. Looks like I'll give them a try again. Thanks for all the great tips sa1937 and everyone else!

sa1937 Community Regular

Well, at least you gave me an idea for dinner tonight! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't toast mine, but I'm lazier than Rachel Ray. I've mainly used bread crumbs for salmon cakes (which are pan seared, so they get brown) or toppings for something I bake or pan fry.

I usually just do one piece of bread at a time, and if there are left overs I freeze them, then throw them away later, unless I by gosh remembered they were there when I was making something appropriate.

I'd toast gluten-free croutons, don't think I'd bother with bread crumbs.

I wonder if adding a wee bit of corn starch (a no no for me) or arrowroot to the liquid you dip into before drenching would make the crumbs stick better?

Oh! I just remembered! Refrigerate those breaded cutlets before you cook them. That really helps. I don't know why, but it does. Even 15 minutes can make a difference. I think 25-30 minutes is even better.

misskatycat Newbie

Thanks. I will give those a shot. I'm new to using this forum but it is so helpful to get advice and suggestions like this.

mushroom Proficient

He could try buying free range eggs that are not fed antibiotics or preservatives. That's what I and many others do - the chickens are much healthier and one must presume their eggs are too - at least happier :D

mushroom Proficient

You can dry them out at a low temp in the oven if you want to remove all the moisture from them.

Archived