This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Daughter Is Having Eight Teeth Extracted

SilverSlipper

SilverSlipper Contributor

My Celiac daughter (who is 10 yrs old) is due to have eight teeth removed on Wednesday. We had tentatively schedled surgery for early December, but this past week-end she started having some pressure feeling in her jaw. We saw her oral surgeon today and he's upped the surgery to take place Wednesday. She is having two pulled on her upper left and right side, one pulled on her lower left and right side. There are two (one on each side, upper) that haven't emerged yet, that they will go into her jaw and cut out.

Any soup suggestions? We live in a small, rural town and I plan to go to the nearest city and purchase some gluten-free things to make it easier tomorrow. I'm making potato soup, but that's as far as I've made it (although I think I can muddle through chicken and noodle). She can't chew for several days and will also have stitches. So, no spicy, solid type soups.

I'm making pudding and also sweet potatoes (baked with butter, brown sugar). Ice cream of course.

Any other suggestions? And, what can she drink other than water? He gave me her prescriptions today so I can fill them tomorrow. Some neighbors have offered to make food, but I'm worried they will gluten it up by accident. My youngest hasn't been feeling well and my oldest is disabled. So, I'm a bit under stress. (Due to some bizarre work related stress, my DH can't help out more this week than what he's already doing).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

My 18 year old recommends a PB milk shake. These are more filling then a plain one. He prefers choc ice cream & I prefer vanilla. Ice cream, PB & milk in the blender. For teeth extractions - eat with a plastic spoon ( he said metal hurts)

domesticactivist Collaborator

Poor kid! I hope it goes well and the healing is easy!

Will she eat purreed soups? Our kids like carrot soup. Just start with chicken stock, boil the carrots and onions in it, add some pieces of chicken meat, and purree! You can add some seasoning (ginger is nice for balancing the sweet flavor), too. You can do the same thing with a flavorful squash, like butternut.

You can also cook cauliflower and mash it.

Applesauce.

What about chili, cooked really thoroughly and with minimal spices?

Lentils, cooked really well - you can do them in a broth or cook them more Indian dal style.

Hummus, eaten with a spoon rather than dipping stuff in.

Avocado.

Takala Enthusiast

I thought OMG eight teeth that's so many.... until I counted and realized I had out 6 or 7, can't remember where the missing wisdom teeth were. :blink: Had them done as an adult, too. :o:ph34r::blink:

The wisdom tooth removal did not go so well recovery wise, so I insisted, years later, they leave me conscious but numbed for the biscuspids (smaller ones in front of the main molars, got removed pre - braces, trying to make some space). They were sort of really surprised at that, but in return I was sort of surprised at how good and how fast this different oral surgeon was with those, no trauma whatsoever, no pain, and healed up fairly fast, which was different than the wisdom teeth experience. I puked a lot after that one. :o In conclusion, for the early phase of post surgical soups, I would recommend a really creamy smooth type of soup/broth so if something happens, it is less disconcerting, because it looks worse to puke up other things.

Oh, and don't have this done on a day that the doc is off for the weekend next, in case something goes wrong. NEVER on fridays, :angry: incase the victim can't keep anything down.

Pudding and jello are nice. Maybe start with jello and see what happens.

Darn210 Enthusiast

For teeth extractions - eat with a plastic spoon ( he said metal hurts)

. . . and no straws. The suction created in the mouth can keep the incisions from clotting/healing.

Just offering my advice of having both sweet and savory items. Sweet (puddings/jello/milkshakes/etc) sounds good until you've had them all day and then you just want something salty.

Take a look at the Pacific Foods soups. Some of them are already "creamy". Some can be pureed. Their gluten free selection is listed under their "special diets":

Open Original Shared Link

Also, how 'bout the hot mushy cereal . . . Cream of Rice or Bob's Mighty Hot and Tasty or whatever that's called.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Butternut squash soup is easy and you can up the sweet factor with maple syrup or brown sugar.

Good luck to both of you!

maximoo Enthusiast

Frankly I would question the 8 teeth extraction. Have you gotten a 2nd even 3rd opinion? Why do they have to cut her gums to get ungrown tooth out? It sounds crazy to me. Sometimes letting nature take its course works out better. I took my DD to a highly recommended orthodontist who wanted to slap braces on her teeth @ age 10 for a cross bite on both sides They would come off in 15 mths but she would probably need a 2nd pair of braces around age 14/15 WTF? I ran for my life. Now its 3 yrs later & her teeth have straightened out on one side on their own. SHe will need braces but I am waiting till all her teeth are in & have settled Then we can truly work with what is there & not play any guessing games with wisdom teeth etc.

A friend just had teeth removed but on one side so that he could still eat on the other side. Is this an option for your DD?

Please research, get other opinions & don't do anything hasty. Good Luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Frankly I would question the 8 teeth extraction. Have you gotten a 2nd even 3rd opinion? Why do they have to cut her gums to get ungrown tooth out? It sounds crazy to me. Sometimes letting nature take its course works out better. I took my DD to a highly recommended orthodontist who wanted to slap braces on her teeth @ age 10 for a cross bite on both sides They would come off in 15 mths but she would probably need a 2nd pair of braces around age 14/15 WTF? I ran for my life. Now its 3 yrs later & her teeth have straightened out on one side on their own. SHe will need braces but I am waiting till all her teeth are in & have settled Then we can truly work with what is there & not play any guessing games with wisdom teeth etc.

A friend just had teeth removed but on one side so that he could still eat on the other side. Is this an option for your DD?

Please research, get other opinions & don't do anything hasty. Good Luck!

Yea I would question the need to remove the two that haven't surfaced yet also at her age. I would also get a second opinion on that. They told me as a teen that mine should be dug out, and said the same for my son. In both our cases the teeth have never given us any problems. My DD did have hers out because they were causing issues but not until they started erupting in her late teens.

Do be sure to heed the no straws advice. The sucking can pull the clots out of the sockets and cause dry socket which is very painful. I had to have 6 removed not too long ago and it went very smoothly healing wise. If they advise using ice packs do use them as they say as it will keep any swelling down.

I hope all goes well for her.

We've known since she was 2 yrs old that she had significant crowding issues. We started seeing an orthodontist last year at our dentist's urging and had two baby teeth removed to help some teeth straighten out. I think the biggest problem we are having is that two of the teeth are jammed together (almost head to head) which has caused some bulging issues in her gum. That is where she has started feeling a lot of pressure. The bulge is so large, it is causing her jaw to look funny when you look at her face. Looking at the x-rays, I'm seeing the problem, there is simply nowhere else for her teeth to go.

It did sound excessive to me but once I started talking with other friends (who use different orthos), her dentist and the oral surgeon, I'm convinced that it's necessary that they come out. And I'd rather do it all at once, than in separate times. She's a bit phobic already and is dreading tomorrow.

She may still need braces at some point, so I think it is a bit of a guessing game. The six that are being pulled are all baby teeth, so they would have come out anyway at some point. The two being cut out are permanent teeth but there's truly nowhere for them to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just came back from my out of town shopping with plenty of soup and broth. I also picked up hummus and breakfast (hot) cereal. I did buy straws but will make sure she doesn't use them. I've had dry socket before and it's horrible. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm about to go pick up my local items - ice cream mostly :) . Thanks again for everyone's concern.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

We've known since she was 2 yrs old that she had significant crowding issues. We started seeing an orthodontist last year at our dentist's urging and had two baby teeth removed to help some teeth straighten out. I think the biggest problem we are having is that two of the teeth are jammed together (almost head to head) which has caused some bulging issues in her gum. That is where she has started feeling a lot of pressure. The bulge is so large, it is causing her jaw to look funny when you look at her face. Looking at the x-rays, I'm seeing the problem, there is simply nowhere else for her teeth to go.

It did sound excessive to me but once I started talking with other friends (who use different orthos), her dentist and the oral surgeon, I'm convinced that it's necessary that they come out. And I'd rather do it all at once, than in separate times. She's a bit phobic already and is dreading tomorrow.

She may still need braces at some point, so I think it is a bit of a guessing game. The six that are being pulled are all baby teeth, so they would have come out anyway at some point. The two being cut out are permanent teeth but there's truly nowhere for them to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just came back from my out of town shopping with plenty of soup and broth. I also picked up hummus and breakfast (hot) cereal. I did buy straws but will make sure she doesn't use them. I've had dry socket before and it's horrible. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm about to go pick up my local items - ice cream mostly :) . Thanks again for everyone's concern.

Hopefully taking out those two that haven't come to the surface yet will help keep the permanent teeth from being as overcrowded. I also have a small jaw and had to have four pulled before I got braces so it isn't unusual. Glad it is an oral surgeon that is doing it. I hope all goes well for her.

Metoo Enthusiast

I had 8 teeth pulled when I was 15, because my body was just not giving up my baby teeth, so they figured pulling them would cause the adult teeth to come up...and luckily it did!

But anyways, I do not remember it being a big deal, I think for a day or two at the most I had some discomfort, and things inside my mouth felt odd. But I really don't remember having any problems eating.

Bananas would be great easy food to eat also!

Thanks all :) We're back and everything went fine. She had a few extra stitches, a bit more than we thought, but she hasn't been sick and we were able to start pain medication before the numbness wore off. They said that by Friday she should start feeling better.

kareng Grand Master

Thanks all :) We're back and everything went fine. She had a few extra stitches, a bit more than we thought, but she hasn't been sick and we were able to start pain medication before the numbness wore off. They said that by Friday she should start feeling better.

Keep the pain meds on schedule for 24 hours at least. They work better if you don't have a gap.

My son said the ice packs helped a lot.

Takala Enthusiast

My bottom wisdom teeth were also coming in sideways from the back of the jaw, instead of growing UP from the bottom. There was truly no place for them to go, either, once I saw the bizarre looking x-rays it was rather obvious. I didn't have the money to start getting this fixed until I was working as an adult and had dental insurance, and it's worse getting this extraction stuff done as an adult.

But by that time, all my adult teeth had come in except the buried wisdom teeth that couldn't, and were crowded and overlapping a lot in the wrong places, what a mess. My two top incisors in front have been loose (not attached to the jaw) for my entire adult life, since my mid to late twenties, because they were getting hit by the bottom teeth with no place to go, and I have had to be super careful all of my life to keep them this long. Dentists just sort of shake their heads when they see this and I explain it.

Archived