This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Determined To Try Gluten Relief

alicewa

alicewa Contributor

Hi,

I'm still so very new to this big gluten free diet and it often stresses me. I've heard that damage is often present years after in adults and am concerned I will never fully heal my gut even being gluten free. My antibody levels are still high, having recently found out despite being on the gluten free diet and I'm still not feeling better. I was a positive biopsy celiac.

Can you tell me has anyone on the board had experience with a product called Gluten Relief? Is it a genuine product that may be able to at least lower my antibody levels if not allow me to eat gluten again without damaging my intestines. Open Original Shared Link that made me think it would be good for me.

There's a video featuring Jerry Block and he seems to know his stuff. The gluten relief appears to be by an endocrinologist, Dr Wise. They used Enterolab for the basis of their testing and doctors tell me that very few false negatives come from this lab.

Do you think it would help me? And even if I took it, should I remain gluten free. The lab results seemed so promising. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Alice,

You state you are still new to the gluten free diet and your antibodies are still high. Perhaps you need to give it some time. I do not know your age, but if you are older, it make take longer.

People post this same question repeatedly, (and I think I have read several of your posts, too-- where you express your hope that something will allow you to resume a diet including gluten) ...do we think it's possible? And we keep telling you gently, NO.

Until a MAJOR MEDICAL BREAKTHROUGH occurs--and it WOULD BE FRONT PAGE NEWS, believe me!--the only "treatment" for this autoimmune disease right now is...no gluten.

I could explain all day long why this "cure" is not for real, but Dr. Ford's article does a fine job:

Open Original Shared Link

Sorry, kiddo. There is no magic bullet.

In time, perhaps they will develop a vaccine. :) Until then, NO GLUTEN is the "cure".

alicewa Contributor

Perhaps it's a stage I'm in. I read somewhere (I forget the link - I'll post it if I find it) a diagram of stages when on the gluten free diet. There's a range of things like relief, denial, anger, frustration, then acceptance.

I still don't feel perfect, which may be why I'm a bit annoyed. I don't seem to have any other food issues. I just had white rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner the last couple of days to cleanse but I still seem to have the odd sensations of discomfort. My mars bar experiment may still have affected me.

The makers of the gluten relief say that a vast majority have returned to their normal diets, more than 5 years ago. I'd wonder if there's any damage.

While I'd love a vaccine, I'd hate to think of what it would do to our gluten free range. :huh:

Maybe I'm a bit desparate.

IrishHeart Veteran

Perhaps it's a stage I'm in. I read somewhere (I forget the link - I'll post it if I find it) a diagram of stages when on the gluten free diet. There's a range of things like relief, denial, anger, frustration, then acceptance.

I still don't feel perfect, which may be why I'm a bit annoyed. I don't seem to have any other food issues. I just had white rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner the last couple of days to cleanse but I still seem to have the odd sensations of discomfort. My mars bar experiment may still have affected me.

The makers of the gluten relief say that a vast majority have returned to their normal diets, more than 5 years ago. I'd wonder if there's any damage.

While I'd love a vaccine, I'd hate to think of what it would do to our gluten free range. :huh:

We all know the stages of grief post-DX. And yes, it is likely you are experiencing the Denial part right now. Time to try and make peace with it all. It will come to you :)

The makers of this homeopathic remedy provide no evidence about whether or not there is villous atrophy after using this product. Not good enough, if you ask me. JMHO

"Odd sensations of discomfort"---well, that doesn't sound too bad! You're getting there! Give yourself some more time to heal. Stay strictly gluten-free.

It is difficult to be patient (believe me, I know--I have seriously debilitating and painful symptoms that I want gone right now!! <_< ) but TIME is what it takes.

Best wishes and hang in there. :)

alicewa Contributor

Love your cat photo! Looks like he/she'd say the same thing. :D

I don't suppose it would do any harm, if I was willing to stay totally gluten-free would it? Maybe I'd be protected from 'incidents' :rolleyes:

mushroom Proficient

I don't suppose it would do any harm, if I was willing to stay totally gluten-free would it? Maybe I'd be protected from 'incidents' :rolleyes:

Not only would it not do you any harm, but you absolutely must stay gluten free if you want to feel better and have your antibody levels go down. This is one instance where "a little bit" definitelly can hurt, a lot. Tough as it is, you must get through this bargaining stage and accept the fact that you cannot have any gluten, and get real serious about the diet. Otherwise you are dooming yourself to a lifetime of ill health, which I am sure you do not want. It is possible to feel much, much better, and feel better about yourself too for having the willpower to stick to it :) Time to organize your pantry and fridge right now so that you have NO MORE gluten and get on the recovery road.

kareng Grand Master

What Shroomie said!

Honestly. I could get an actor to say he's a doctor and talk on the internet. Take the money you were going to waste on this snake oil and buy gluten-free Chex cereal & Progresso soups for the food pantry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heidi g. Contributor

Bad idea i would think. Especially starting it when your new the healing and doing the diet. Plus, there's alot of scams on the internet. If it actually worked, im sure it would be all over the internet or the news. I mean, a cure for celiac disease is a big ordeal i would think.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

If this suppliment actually blocked gluten from entering your system it would be huge news! They'd be charging hundreds of dollars for it and we'd all have an RX for it. It would be the treatment most prescribed by Dr.s because they love to write RXs. Unfortunately, it won't work.

The product is basically just digestive enzymes. It helps you digest things faster so they go out of your system faster. May help if you accidently ingest a small amount of gluten by accident?

There's NO WAY you can take this product and eat foods with gluten! Your immune system will stay inflamed and you'll get additional damage and illnesses. This is nothing to play around with! I'm jumping up and down here..because I don't want you to hurt yourself.

Treat gluten as if it's rat poison. There is NO safe dose!

heidi g. Contributor

I agree!

IrishHeart Veteran

Honey, even my CAT is gluten free! ;) She eats NO-grain cat food and her coat is gorgeous. She looked like heck --skinny with dull, patchy fur---when she arrived on our doorstep and now, she's healthy and happy. Why? Good lovins and NO gluten! :D

Not do any harm to stay gluten-free?? :blink:

Sweetie, the harm you are doing is by NOT staying gluten-free!! Didn't the doctor impress this upon you when he told you about the celiac? You risk major complications by continuing to consume gluten-- among them, possible fertility issues and other autoimmune diseases. You do not want any of that! Not for a lousy piece of bread!

The sooner you accept this, the happier you will be!! If I had known 30 years ago that this one thing was all I had to do to avoid the incredible pain and suffering this thing has caused me, I'd have gladly followed the gluten-free diet and my life would have been drastically different.

This is nothing to screw with, kiddo. We want you to be healthy--and live a long, happy life!

Cheers,

Irish

anabananakins Explorer

You're right, we really do go through those stages. And that means, you'll eventually work your way through and it won't seem so bad anymore. You'll get there, you really will and in the meantime, vent here as much as you want! :) I feel sad for you because you're really struggling and from what you've said, I don't think you were in really bad health before your diagnosis so it's probably come as a pretty awful surprise to you. You probably want to lie on the floor kicking and screaming about how unfair it all is - well, go ahead and do so either for real or here! It helps :) One day, you'll be telling some other poor newbie how hard it was but you got through it. I believe that, 100%! *hugs*

As the others have already said, there is no magical solution right now. Just - no gluten. No more experimenting with little bits of gluten. But you're allowed to be sad, to grieve, and to rant and rave as much as you want (just best to do most of it here, we understand :) )

If you're missing mars bars, you can eat nutella. Not exactly the same, but still very good!

Skylark Collaborator

I looked at the so-called study and ingredients and I am absolutely appalled. Run, don't walk from these scam artists. There aren't even enzymes in it - it's homeopathic stuff and vitamins. There's no way it could cure celiac disease. Also, very few false negatives come from Enterolab because almost everyone is positive! :lol:

I'm sorry your antibodies are high and you're stressed. Hang in there. Many biopsy positive celiacs DO heal in time so think positive.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I looked at those things too, posted something similiar months ago. It seemed I woke up one morning and was sick, almost like I entered someone else's body. Sure I'd had issues before my trip to ER which started my journey but until my symptoms went neuro things were managable. So it has been really hard for me to adjust to the idea that I will have to eat like this forever, especially when I still wasn't feeling god in the beiginning and wondering if I was even on the righ track. It has been 9 months since my ER trip. I have been gluten-free since April. I finally, after months and months of mistakes, made it to over 5 weeks without accidental glutening and I am NO LONGER DIZZY. This is HUGE! I have found other foods my body doesn't tolerate, and whilethey don't make me dizzy for 3+ weeks like gluten does, the damage is enough to keep me away from them. It does pay, it is worth it and you will get to feeling better. You will adjust and I think in the long run you will feel better than you have for a long time. It just takes time. It takes alot of adjusting and alot of acceptance. I am 48, was a Cinnabon addict, tortilla scramblers every morning for breakfast before. Now if I want those things I make them myself but I have found that my diet really wasn't good before. Now I have to pay attention to the nutriens I am putting into my body, and that is actually a good thing. Hang in here, you can do it!

alicewa Contributor

How come no one has posted online that gluten relief hasn't helped them then, if it doesn't work? The makers say they've sold over 2000 bottles in the video.

Open Original Shared Link. Makes me sob just looking at it (especially the teary-eyed picture). I seem to really be able to relate, as well. :(

mushroom Proficient

How come no one has posted online that gluten relief hasn't helped them then, if it doesn't work? The makers say they've sold over 2000 bottles in the video.

Open Original Shared Link. Makes me sob just looking at it (especially the teary-eyed picture). I seem to really be able to relate, as well. :(

To repeat what others have said, if it worked it would be shouted from the rooftops with sirens, horns and fireworks :rolleyes: Who would not want it to be true???

Reading through the article about cheating, the words that jumped out at me were You must LEARN THE POWER OF NO! There are some things in life that we just cannot have or cannot do. Is it fair? Probably not, but neither is life. It is nothing personal, except that it is your own personal cross to bear. We all have crosses, some are heavier than others, but you must develop the muscle to carry yours :blink: Grieve for the loss, yes, but then accept it and get on with living. There are thousands who have left this forum having recovered and got on with doing just that. You can be one of those. :) But you have to give up the denial of having gluten intolerance, and that currently there is no cure for it. Not to say there won't be one day, but not yet. So make the most of the rest of your life.

If you are determined to do this there is nothing we can or willl do to stop you -- it is entirely your free will what you do with your life. We are just trying to tell you that this sounds like snake oil. :(

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If it worked they would have sold millions. This is snake oil period. You will be risking a lot if you try to avoid the diet with products like this. Just take a good look at some of the signatures of those of us who went years without diagnosis. Rely on this stuff and you can have a sig like that too.

I know how badly you want this diagnosis to just be a bad dream but it isn't. Life will go on without gluten and it will be a longer and healthier one.

IrishHeart Veteran

See, you have moved from the DENIAL stage to the BARGAINING stage now--you are looking for a way to cheat and use a "miracle product" to UNDO what you will did to your intestines. Ah, if only it were that easy.

And, I think I know why you are still "bargaining".

Because your symptoms just aren't " bad enough". Yet.

A little tummy trouble and some diarrhea? no Biggie! It will pass and I'll be okay, you are thinking. Um, nope!

In time, you could develop any number of health issues and have your life altered in ways you cannot imagine, should you choose to continue to ingest gluten. How about anxiety, depression and chronic burning in your bones, muscles, joints? Have your hair fall out? How about nights on end with no sleep from insomnia? How about multiple miscarriages and eventually, no children as a result of this disease? Maybe find yourself always dizzy, walking sideways and banging into walls, your heart racing out of your chest? What if you found yourself unable to speak clearly, remember what you did just yesterday, or forget how to drive a car? What if you LOST 3, 5, 7, 12 years of your life in a gluten freakin stupor, laying on a couch all day long crying because you are too weak to function? Have your spouse leave you because you are ill all the time and they can't take it anymore? Or losing your job because you were out sick more days than you were at work? Have your friends desert you because you aren't "fun anymore". Have doctors tell you that you are depressed and give you so many drugs, you are lost in freakin space every day, crying your eyes out because you think you would rather be dead than live in pain and misery one more day.

Sadly, these are some of the REAL things that have happened to people on here (myself included). People whose lives were altered so completely --or eventually, ended by lymphoma---as a result of undiagnosed celiac.

The diagnosis and a gluten free diet was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am reversing the damage done and coming back to life. I am grateful for this second chance. But, you are looking at it as a LIFE ENDER right now--because you are young and feel as if it is too strict and confining and I do not blame you one bit! You are rightfully pissed off -- so, please, do vent about it right on here!

Many people are resistant to be totally gluten-free because they either had NO symptoms or minimal symptoms and it is "tolerable". Also, when you are young, you feel "bullet-proof" --as I once did. No one could have told me what to do back then either! :lol: I did not care about warnings from the "old people" about smoking, drinking or whatever....I know it's bumming you out so much, you want it to be just a bad dream.

We GET THAT, honey---we really do!!

You have the chance to stop all this madness BEFORE it occurs!

This is an amazing opportunity. A gift ---that I wish my 20- year- old self could have been given!

You think that losing the ability to eat a lousy donut is something to cry over?

Kiddo, what happens when you DO NOT follow a gluten free diet---THAT will have you in tears every single day. You find that hard to believe because you are not that sick or crippled or living with diabetes or arthritis. You are not "there yet".

And all these scary stories seem implausible to you.

We're just trying to spare you a lifetime of hell.

But, ultimately, like anything involving free will, it's your call.

Best wishes to you!

kareng Grand Master

OK! "I have this great product that makes you grow perky boobs and eliminates wrinkles and cellulite. I have sold it to 2000 satisfied customers."

If I put that on a slick website or TV commercial, then it must be true? :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

OK! "I have this great product that makes you grow perky boobs and eliminates wrinkles and cellulite. I have sold it to 2000 satisfied customers."

ooo, Karen!......Can I have some of THAT??? :lol:

kareng Grand Master

ooo, Karen!......Can I have some of THAT??? :lol:

Sure! Free to my friends!

:ph34r: Do not be alarmed that they taste like chocolate & slightly resemble M&Ms.. And the M printed on them stands for the name of the drug "Miracle Mammaries"

Not trying to make fun of you Alice. Just want to point out that you can say anything but it doesn't make it true.

heidi g. Contributor

Karen your so funny! People think they can't ever enjoy food again. Like my neighbor who thinks her life is over because she is 15 and can't ever eat pizza. You can make your own pizza! you can make your own donuts! You can make your own fries! Sometimes i think life is over but let them eat their greasy foods and ill eat my rice and vegetables and fruits and ill have less risk of developing heart disease, high cholesterol, and heart attacks when im older! Were so lucky to even have all these tasty foods because im pretty sure, before they discovered all this food, they were eating like celiac's have to anyways. Why is America so fat? Because its too expensive to live healthy. Im trying to turn this negative curveball straight, and think of it as a blessing. I get to learn how to eat healthy and how to take better care of my body.

alicewa Contributor

Honey, even my CAT is gluten free! ;) She eats NO-grain cat food and her coat is gorgeous. She looked like heck --skinny with dull, patchy fur---when she arrived on our doorstep and now, she's healthy and happy. Why? Good lovins and NO gluten! :D

So, what do you feed your cat then? I'm thinking of making the family pets we get go gluten-free now. :D

Roda Rising Star

So, what do you feed your cat then? I'm thinking of making the family pets we get go gluten-free now. :D

I feed my cat and dog Taste Of The Wild. It is a completly grain free pet food. My dog and cat are doing wonderful on it.

IrishHeart Veteran

We use Merrick's BG--Before Grain.

Archived