heidi g.

Is Acid Associated With Celiac?

Rate this topic

I been doing my diet and i still felt horrible. I started taking my acid pills (prilosec) and i started to feel better! I smoke cigarettes once in awhile and i think it might give me some acid problems once in awhile but i was wondering if acid reflux/too much acid production can affect your healing process and make your stomach hurt.

I don't know about everyone, but I have very bad acid in my stomach, to the point where I may have an ulcer. I don't know if it has anything to do with having celiac, but I would imagine that all of the stress and wear and tear from your stomach being unable to digest the gluten could have an impact if you're already susceptible to acid problems. if you're having a lot of reoccurring acid issues then you should get it checked out because you could have an ulcer, which from what I've heard isn't uncommon for people with celiac.

I had ulcers as a child/teen, and ongoing acid problems in my late 20's.

The only things that helped me was to drink lots of water, especially in the morning and to stay away from acidic foods (unless part of a meal), eat stuff that absorbed acid (crackers), and eat regular meals.

When the acid would go nuts I'd take a visualization moment (imagined pain leaving my body out my fingers) and it would calm it down.

At the time I didn't know a thing about gluten....dovi was eating it left and right. But no meds helped....tried them all.

One of my worst symptoms was acid reflux! It's settled down some since going gluten-free, but not gone completely. I've been on RX meds for it for about 10 years.

Yea i keep doing courses of prilosec every 3 months. Im not liking it very much.

Don't know if this will help you but my Dr. gave me Glutagenics to help my stomach heal when I was first diagnosed. Take a look at the reviews and see what you think.

http://pureformulas.com/glutagenics-927-oz-2598g-powder-bottle-60-servings-by-metagenics.html

I found the taste to be not very good so instead take DGL pills. DGL is one of the main ingredients. DGL=Deglycyrrhizinized Licorice Root.

Michelle

smoking can absolutely cause reflux issues. I'd try to nix that entirely.

Yeah, GERD was a big problem for me, had it badly for years and years to the point the acid would bubble up in my esophagus and I couldn't swallow, stomach ulcers etc. Was taking medication everyday for it. And the day I went gluten free was the day my acid stopped and I've never needed medication since (unless I get glutened) ....who knew it would be so easy!??