Scott Adams

Gluten-free: Not all it's cracked up to be - Life360 Now (blog)

Rate this topic

6.jpg

Life360 Now (blog)

Gluten-free: Not all it's cracked up to be

Life360 Now (blog)

For children who have a disease called celiac, a gluten free diet is imperative to growth, development and freedom from pain and disease. Otherwise, removing gluten from a child's diet could cause more harm than good. Gluten is a protein found ...

View the full article

This article was so poorly researched and full of misconceptions, I actually checked to see if the author was what she claimed to be in real life. :blink:

She is a dietician and an associate prof at a small private midwestern university. I would suggest she start researching celiac and gluten intolerance seriously instead of repeating the same old canards from the media- spokesperson dietician industry.

The number of celiacs is about 1% of the population. She never acknowledges gluten intolerance, nor that leading researchers are claiming 5 to 7% of the general population may be gluten intolerant.... This is a huge, significantly high impact demographic medical phenomena, not a "fad." The majority of celiacs in this country still remain undiagnosed. Of those who do get diagnosed, the average age was in the mid forties.... after over a decade of attempting to get a medical diagnosis. Children are more difficult to diagnose because the blood tests are not always accurate. She never mentions biopsy, or how the American standard for official diagnosis, driven by the insurance industry rules and what they will reimburse for, is both positive blood test AND a biopsy confirming intestinal damage.

She never acknowledges the cross contamination problem with families sharing food prep and eating spaces. She never mentions the SOCIAL ASPECT of INCLUSIVENESS of eating together at the "FAMILY TABLE" she is supposedly advocating for.

I'm not even sure where to start with this. I would suggest she leave her personal biases concerning food tastes at the door.

Imagine your child had to go on a gluten free diet, and you were reading this:

The market abounds with gluten-free alternatives to our favorite wheat-based goodies, but they differ in taste and price from the original. From the posts I am receiving, my readers wouldn