Metoo

Normal On Gluten Free Diet?

Rate this topic

I am on day 4 of a gluten free diet. I have pretty much been eating the same things, eggs, bananas, apples, chicken, oatmeal (gluten-free)....well Wednesday I had a strawberry milkshake from McDonalds...because I was hungry after work. No whip cream or syrup or cherry on top.

Yesterday I got the same thing again after work because I was so hungry again, and didn't know what else to get.

Well I wound up having abdominal pain again. But this time it lasted WAY less than it normally does, only about 1 hour.

I am still in the process of finding out what is wrong, I tested neg for celiac, but positive for IgE gluten, at a work allergy test...next week I go to an allergist.

Is this a normal thing when starting gluten free, that you might have your symptoms return but not as bad as before? Either that or maybe I am allergic to strawberries too.

I don't know if the shakes are gluten free or not but I do know that it is best if you wait to try gluten free oats. Some of us are intolerant of them so wait until you have well healed before trying those out.

In the meantime there are oat free breakfast cereals that are hot. I like Cream of Buckwheat.

I would steer clear of the oatmeal too. It's one of the grains that they're just not sure about and most have a good chance of having cc.

Maybe it's the milk product in the shake that's bothering you? If you have villi damage you will have a hard time digesting dairy.

I would steer clear of the oatmeal too. It's one of the grains that they're just not sure about and most have a good chance of having cc.

Maybe it's the milk product in the shake that's bothering you? If you have villi damage you will have a hard time digesting dairy.

So even if the oatmeal is certified gluten free it maynot be okay?

So even if the oatmeal is certified gluten free it maynot be okay?

Its gluten-free if you buy the gluten-free kind. But...about 10% of Celiacs react to it the same as wheat. It is recommended that you not it eat it until fully healed.

I'm not sure what the recommendation is for non-Celiac inrtolerance but I would think it is easy enough to avoid it for 6 months to a year.