DonnaMM

Even At The Hospital... People Don't Understand

Rate this topic

I am so annoyed about how I was treated and embarassed at my job today. I went downstairs to get a cheeseburger (no bun of course) which I do often. Most of the guys know my condition and immediately change their gloves right when they me. But this one today was JUST AWFUL! I went up and said can I get two chesseburgers with no bun please and can you please change your gloves before you handle the cheese. She rolled her eyes at me like I thought she was dirty, and then she kept asking me what I wanted with my cheeseburger, I kept saying I just want it plain thanks, but she literally started raising her voice and repeating her question, I was very confused cause I kept saying nothing, I want it plain. Then she asked what do you want your cheeseburger on? If you don't want it on a bun what do you want? toast? I was like umm a plate? Why was she stupid to think I did not want a cheeseburger without a bun??? When I was standing getting my ketchup I heard her say her to a friend, what the hell kinda lunch is that? Seriously??? I work in a hospital where we make all kinds of special diets (although we have no gluten free menu, errrr) and she can not even pick up on the fact some people either can't or choose not to have bread. Just needed to vent :angry:

This is precisely what scares me and why I don't eat in my hospital cafeteria. I think if I was to be a patient I would make arrangements for my husband to bring me food. I'm getting more sensitive to cross contamination and there are some gluten free products I can't even tolerate.

That is so rude of her. What does she care how you eat your burger? UGH.

I have a cafeteria at my workplace and I cannot seem to communicate my needs no matter who I talk to or what I say. Now I skip lunch or go home. It is annoying though, especially because egg and nut allergies are taken so seriously, as are veg and vegan diets.

I work for an christian hospital and they are very much into vegan/vegetarian diets and promote it. When I first started they would serve the patients meat, but it wasn't an option for the employees. Now they serve both because there are so many that work here that are not of their religious affiliation. I think they were wasting alot of food and loosing money too. (at least that is what I think). The cafeteria staff does know what a gluten free diet is, but I'm not sure about the cross contamination knowledge. One day I just might ask or observe out of curiosity.

I've just started working at a hospital (since mid-September) and the only thing I've been brave enough to eat in our cafeteria are the hard-boiled eggs. :lol: I figure they can't do anything to that! Sometimes I get one for breakfast, other times I buy it in the morning and eat it for lunch with whatever else I've brought from home. I hate actually *fixing* lunch, so I bring a plain salad, or yogurt, or leftovers, fruit, etc.

I am planning to talk to the director of our food service, just for my own curiosity, to see how gluten-friendly they are. (not much, is my prediction). :ph34r:

A hospital, from my experience, is the least gluten-free-friendly place one is likely to find :unsure: Celiac is very rare, you see :P

A hospital, from my experience, is the least gluten-free-friendly place one is likely to find :unsure: Celiac is very rare, you see :P

hee hee

I was working at a hospital when I was diagnosed. I asked the staff about if the hotdogs were gluten free (they were really good so sometimes i would get one for lunch) but they didn't know. I mentioned this to one of the supervisors in my department when she asked me how it was going with being able to find food and such. She was surprised that they didn't know. But I never followed up with the people higher up from the cooks as I was leaving shortly after I was diagnosed.

I usually just tell them I am allergic to wheat when they don't get it. For some reason, people look at me like I have 3 heads when I say I have Celiac.

• Upvote 1

@ monklady~ Egg-zactly! I work at a hospital too and I agree! Hard boiled eggs are the only thing I have bought from the cafeteria too! Unfotunatly I really think they don't have a clue about glutenor the concept of cc. I have already made arrangements with my s o to bring me food if I ever have to b a patient!

Does she have the burger toppings? If she does then it is a valid question. People have a different definition of plain. I can see wanting clarification since you asked for no bun, but used a term plain that includes a bun. Some people think that a plain burger has no lettuce and tomatos but still have the set condiments. Also, please remember that not all people who work as cooks are fluent in English. At the restaurant where I work the entire kitchen staff has Spanish for a first language. When I was new I called the green onions scallions and all I got were blanks stares. When I asked for the green onions they knew exactly what I was talking about. Could there be a language barrier between you and the cook? Sometimes it is helpful to try again using different terminology. Perhaps saying no toppings, or just the burger patty, etc.