carecare

Gluten Challenge...did Your Kids Become Picky Eaters

Rate this topic

So we went gluten free for almost 2 months. In that time my son who just turned 12 had a hardy appetite and seemed to really enjoy food while eating gluten free. Well, we are eating gluten until Dec. 16th when the biopsies are scheduled. He has become extremely picky and I am having a hard time getting him to eat much of the foods I am making. Even when we have a good gluten free dinner meal (my dinners are still gluten free...I just make sure they get gluten at all other times of the day). Anyway, he barely wants to eat. This must be gluten related right? I suppose it's effecting his appetite. I made chicken, broccoli and rice (something he would eat in the past) last night and he just took a couple bites of his chicken and that was it. This all started when back on gluten. He's looking thinner and I'm sure it's because he's not eating as much. Anyone else have this issue when on gluten?

We only made it three days into the gluten challenge with my 6 year old. My husband is the one who said HE and my son couldn't endure three months of it. So based on the reactions he had in those three days my husband called it off and refuses to let him eat another bite ever.

My girls have amazing appetites on the gluten free diet! We did a 3 month gluten challenge at the beginning of the year and it was really hard to get them to eat much, especially gluteny stuff. I even tried giving my youngest cookies just to keep gluten in her and she even refused those! You know it's bad when a child won't eat cookies :P

We haven't done the challenge yet - but before we went gluten-free my son was sooooo picky - it was a nightmare. Now that he is gluten-free its all changed around.

I bet it has to do with them just feeling crappy all the time. It really is becoming difficult to make sure they are eating enough gluten every day. Funny how sandwiches used to be their staple for lunches and now they turn their noses up at them. Only a few more weeks...only a few more weeks. We all are so looking forward to feeling healthy again!!!