This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Denny's

ShortStuff2309

ShortStuff2309 Apprentice

Hello,

I went to Denny's for dinner last night and was actually able to have a full, normal dinner while dining out! They had this BBQ grilled chicken with cheese and bacon on top, and your choice of 2 sides, so I got the baked potato and cinnamon apples. It was soooo good! And it was so nice to be able to have a regular meal and not have to ask for something without this and without that. Just thought I'd share!

~Rebecca

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

judy05 Apprentice
Hello,

I went to Denny's for dinner last night and was actually able to have a full, normal dinner while dining out! They had this BBQ grilled chicken with cheese and bacon on top, and your choice of 2 sides, so I got the baked potato and cinnamon apples. It was soooo good! And it was so nice to be able to have a regular meal and not have to ask for something without this and without that. Just thought I'd share!

~Rebecca

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've always had good luck at Denny's, in fact they recognize me when I go in , they have been so accomodating. I used to look at their allergens list but I pretty well know what I can have before I get there. Just remind them to use clean utensils and clean the grill before they cook your food.

ianm Apprentice

I have to travel for work a lot and eat at Denny's the most. They are always willing to accomodate people with gluten problems. I had one bad experience with a Denny's but that was only one out of dozens of meals.

debbie-doodles Contributor

Where did you find Denny's allergen list?

While on vacation in Bloomington, IN in May we took my celiac daughter to Denny's and the server called the manager over and he told me nothing in his restaurant was gluten free...and then walked away. I was totally furious and we got up and left.

We are going on vacation to San Diego in 2 weeks and would love to give Denny's another chance.

judy05 Apprentice

While on vacation in Bloomington, IN in May we took my celiac daughter to Denny's and the server called the manager over and he told me nothing in his restaurant was gluten free...and then walked away.  I was totally furious and we got up and left. 

We are going on vacation to San Diego in 2 weeks and would love to give Denny's another chance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Denny's I use is on the Pa. turnpike. They keep the Allergen list under the counter when you walk in the front door. It was they who showed it to me, it cross references all of their food, it spells out which allergens are in which foods. I usually eat the scrambled eggs and hash browns and sometimes I eat that new fish they have, starts with a T, sorry I can't remember it ( I must be having a "senior moment" <_< ). They might not recognize the term "gluten", you have to spell it out very carefully and remind them everytime about clean utensils and cleaning the grill. They've always been very accomodating.

Guest Lucy

We love Denny's it always has plenty of choices for my son. It is so nice to be able to go out to eat somewhere that is not "fast food" although the health of dennys might not be better. At least its an alternate place to try.

nettiebeads Apprentice

While on vacation in Bloomington, IN in May we took my celiac daughter to Denny's and the server called the manager over and he told me nothing in his restaurant was gluten free...and then walked away.  I was totally furious and we got up and left. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Voting with your feet is the best way. I guess some people forget that they are in a SERVICE industry. Hello! Of course, you can always write to the corp office.

Sunny San Diego! I'm jealous. I lived there for almost 9 years (Navy wife back then) and my daughter was born there. Have fun!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PicturePerfect Explorer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This might help with restaurants (for their location) in San Diego: Open Original Shared Link

Lisa

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

If you are going to San Diego,

Try this website

www.glutenfreeinsd.com

It should help with restaurants!!!

debbie-doodles Contributor

Thanks guys! you are all the best.

We go to San Diego every summer. I live in Arizona and its only a 6 hour drive away. But this is our first time going after my daughter got diagnosed. Thanks for all your help. :)

• 4 years later...
Liz617 Newbie

Hi all,

It's been a few years since these posts about Denny's. They now do have a list of allergens on their website, though it was very difficult to find. So here is the direct link to it (as of 12/23/2009):

Open Original Shared Link

I'm gonna try eating there today on my way to Northern Cali...wish me luck.

Best,

Liz

mamaw Community Regular

I just went to the site at Denny's that Liz posted. I do see the allergy list for wheat but not gluten. Please be careful because just because its wheat free does not make the item gluten free....

Juliebove Rising Star

I realize this is an old post but I could have sworn that most of the foods they serve contain gluten. Could be one of our other allergens though. I know there is dairy in the green beans.

• 3 years later...
smallquiltpieces Newbie

I went to Denny's tonight. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, ham and hash browns. I ended up having an asthma attack within 15 minutes. Usual triggers for me are msg,gluten, cinnamon and yelllow #5. Their allergy list doesn't list any of these. Any ideas?

Juliebove Rising Star

I went to Denny's tonight. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, ham and hash browns. I ended up having an asthma attack within 15 minutes. Usual triggers for me are msg,gluten, cinnamon and yelllow #5. Their allergy list doesn't list any of these. Any ideas?

Again this is an old post but I'd say in your case it would likely be msg.  Just a guess though.

kareng Grand Master

Could be gluten. Denny's isn't really a place I would trust. They may have put the piece of toast that comes with the meal on top of the eggs and the waitress took it off before serving. Or cooked the hash browns where they just made pancakes, etc, etc, etc....

Takala Enthusiast

While I have not been there in several years, it would depend on the Denny's and what the waitstaff/cooks were like and what was ordered. If you are careful and have a good waiter, plus have good back and forth communication (this is where the word "allergy" comes in handy, altho technically incorrect)  you can get a few items there to make a meal.  ( I wouldn't do this at a lot of Denny's, just the 2 I have been to in this one town near here. When I explained I needed a side dish, to go with 2 plain eggs, they made me a fruit cup out of all fresh fruit. I was really grateful for this. You know how it goes sometimes, when you really need to eat and still have a long trip to reach home.  )  I would not do the hash browns, however, or anything not cooked on a clean surface.  You could pick up cross contamination from the grill, or the hash browns could have had preservatives in them to keep them from browning when frozen.  You are also at the mercy of their food suppliers, they (the kitchen manager)  may order something for the week or the month, but get another product in which is not updated on their menus. 

Archived