This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For "all Natural/chemical Free" Products

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

Hey there! I am still eliminating some products from my life :) and am looking for some heavy duty hand lotions (ie. shea butter perhaps) and some shampoos. I am trying to go as "natural" -- as few ingredients and chemicals as possible. I am using California Baby and like their products, but I wanted to see if there are some others you like... Thanks! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

Hey Jen -

Have you tried Open Original Shared Link yet? Their lotion is pretty heavy duty... I can't use it on my face but on my hands, before going to bed, it's pretty strong stuff. Also no chemicals, parabens, etc. I have had a hard time finding shampoos and stuff that are gluten free and also free of parabens that actually don't dry my hair out but have found Giovanni to be pretty good (it's in my local health food store) and currently use their leave in conditioner and their hair gel (can't remember what it's called...).

The ingredients for the leave in conditioner are:

Infusion Of Rosemary Extract, Nettle Extract, Thyme Extract, Birch Leaf Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sage Extract, St. John`s Wort Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Mallow Extract, Balm Mint Extract, Horsetail Extract, Red Clover Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Soy, Citrimonium Bromide, Peg-10, Soya Sterol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Mineral Trace Elements, Dl Panthenol, Cinnamate.

I have been trying to reduce chemicals in my life and have found that Seventh Generation products are great. Open Original Shared Link I have read on a few lists their products are gluten free but still check. The laundry soap works really well, I have to say the dishwasher liquid wasn't very impressive though. I also use the fabric softener, color safe bleach, TP and facial tissues. I do use the shower cleaner on more than my shower, including my kitchen counters, etc, and it's almost as good as "Greased Lightening" the stuff I used to use (that stuff will clean anything!) but doesn't make me gag or get breathing problems when I use it.

Anyway, hope some of that helps!

Stephanie

skbird Contributor

Also, if you want the minimalist approach, a good lotion for hands, body and face, as well as a leave in hair conditioner (if used sparingly!) is virgin coconut oil. There's a little learning curve with it, meaning how much you need, but it's great stuff. I don't use face lotion in the summer but in winter I put that on and it soaks right in and keeps my face feeling really soft. In hair, I put the smallest amount on my hands, rub them together, and then try to run it through my hair evenly. Sometimes if I put too much on or get too much in one area, then I will have some greasy hair when it's dry - so up in a bun it goes! But I have found it really volumizes my hair, if used just right. And it's very good for your hair/skin. And smells great! :)

Stephanie

tarnalberry Community Regular
Hey there!  I am still eliminating some products from my life :) and am looking for some heavy duty hand lotions (ie. shea butter perhaps) and some shampoos.  I am trying to go as "natural" -- as few ingredients and chemicals as possible.  I am using California Baby and like their products, but I wanted to see if there are some others you like...  Thanks!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For a "lotion", you might try regular use of an oil - like almond or jojoba - in place of something heavier. For shampoo, I've heard of using a bit of baking soda and cider vinegar, actually, working *really* well, but I don't know the details.

frenchiemama Collaborator
For a "lotion", you might try regular use of an oil - like almond or jojoba - in place of something heavier.  For shampoo, I've heard of using a bit of baking soda and cider vinegar, actually, working *really* well, but I don't know the details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if I'd want to mix baking soda and vinegar on my head though! Don't you remember the "volcanoes" from grade school science class? :P

I have a good suggestion if you have hard floors and want to reduce chemical cleaners. I recently got a Bissell steam mop and I love it! It does a wonderful job cleaning and only uses tap water.

terri Contributor

All of Lady Primrose products are gluten free. www.ladyprimrose.com Their lotion is wonderful. I have terrible eczema and this is the only one I've found that works. Pricey though. I did verify with them that their products are gluten-free. They make shampoos and conditioners and bath gels, almost anything you can think of.

And, I got the acquarella nail conditioning and polish this week in the mail. They use a water based system that is all natural and gluten free. They eliminate all those nasty chemicals. I'm still in the "conditioning" phase, but am very excited. :D

tarnalberry Community Regular
I'm not sure if I'd want to mix baking soda and vinegar on my head though! Don't you remember the "volcanoes" from grade school science class?  :P

I have a good suggestion if you have hard floors and want to reduce chemical cleaners. I recently got a Bissell steam mop and I love it! It does a wonderful job cleaning and only uses tap water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol- as I recall, it doesn't get mixed on the head - the baking soda is scrubbed in first, then rinsed, then the cider vinegar is used like a conditioner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I use Kiss My Face fragrance free Olive and Aloe moisturizing lotion...

Open Original Shared Link

most of their products are gluten free, they do have a list on their website under FAQ's which lists which ones DO contain gluten.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I use California Baby and organic extra-virgin olive oil. I keep a spray bottle of oil in the bathroom. I've found that if I put on the oil right after I wash my hands, etc.....that is absorbs really well. The olive scent goes away rather quickly. I use the oil when my skin if feeling really dry. My dd has eczema and I use both the olive and coconut oil on her.

I've tried the vinegar on my hair without the baking soda. I was really suprised how much shampoo builds up on hair. :P I used to use Avalon organic products but they wouldn't help with identifying what products were and weren't gluten-free. I like JASON natural cosmetics products but I threw out a shampoo that had wheat in it the other day. I haven't contacted them to see if they have a list. Does anyone know about them?

Stephanie, I like the Seventh Generations products as well. :) I had to start using the rinse aid with the auto dishwashing liquid because of hard water. I'll run it for awhile and then I'll use one load with my old detergent to help with residue. I've also tried Bio-Kleen laundry and I like it too. Earth Friendly makes an all purpose citrus cleaner that they confirmed was gluten-free. As well as "Dishmate," a dishwashing liquid...I like the pear scent.

Merika Contributor

www.tropicaltraditions.com makes a good unscented (or scented) hand/face lotion. I get it online.

Merika

JLK Rookie

Like Stephanie, I use the Giovanni hair products and Seventh Generation cleaning products. I was using Aubrey Organics on my hair but had to switch recently because the conditioners all have wheat germ oil. Shampoos are OK and smell wonderful -- my aromatherapy ;) I really like the Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo, and Passion Fower and Morning Meadow Ultimate Moist lotions. These products, are gluten-free and absolutely no chemicals (other than botanical extracts and antioxidant vitamins) have been used in their formulations. I had swithched to Aubrey products 2 yrs ago to rid myself of estrogen-mimicking chemical additives like the parabens. Then there is the Burt's Bees line of products. I use their toothpastes, several different lotions, and tinted moisturizers and makeup. I no longer have a need for it but their sensitive skin Glycerine Rose toner is great, etc. Check them out!

Some info at www.aubreyorganics.com and www.burtsbees.com

Enjoy,

Judi

frenchiemama Collaborator
lol- as I recall, it doesn't get mixed on the head - the baking soda is scrubbed in first, then rinsed, then the cider vinegar is used like a conditioner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH, ok. I was picturing myself standing in the shower with a giant fizzy mess on my head.

jenvan Collaborator

hey ladies! thanks for all the info--as of now, i have some aubrey organics and tropical traditions products :) i am going to ck into seventh generation too. i just read their pdf on chemicals in the environment etc. holy crap!! i'm working on my makeup, personal products etc for now...and will move onto the cleaning products soon! what is up with all the henious things we put in our products ?!

Archived