Macbre

Touching Flour Now Breaks Me Out

Rate this topic

I've always made homemade pizza for my kids.....bread maker & then I roll out the dough and put it in the pan. The past few times I've made it I noticed that I was sick that night and figured it was something I ate, but tonight I noticed that once I touched the flour I started itching on my arms and them my face. I'm wondering why this affects me, but touching their bread and crackers doesn't. Am I going to get to the point that I can't touch anything with Gluten at all? Has this happened to anyone else. This is getting ridiculous!!

It sounds like you have a wheat allergy as well as gluten intolerance/celiac and stopping eating wheat has desensitized you. Sometimes allergies can be to raw food vs. cooked. It also might be that you get a lot more flour on your skin when you bake compared to setting bread on a plate.

I've always made homemade pizza for my kids.....bread maker & then I roll out the dough and put it in the pan. The past few times I've made it I noticed that I was sick that night and figured it was something I ate, but tonight I noticed that once I touched the flour I started itching on my arms and them my face. I'm wondering why this affects me, but touching their bread and crackers doesn't. Am I going to get to the point that I can't touch anything with Gluten at all? Has this happened to anyone else. This is getting ridiculous!!

Yes, it can happen. Wheat Germ Oil does it to me...in cosmetics, shampoos.

I've had a few "WTF, you've gotta be kiddin' me" moments in the last 5 months.

I particularly loved my eyes swelling after applying eye cream.

Perhaps it is time then for your entire house to be gluten free.

I think I'll just make my kids start fixing their own food!! They have to learn sometime....right?

I think I'll just make my kids start fixing their own food!! They have to learn sometime....right?

I'd make them fix it somewhere else if you're reacting to gluten like that....kids aren't exactly neat and clean chefs and flour FLIES through the air....

I hope you are not developing an allergy to it as well.....but it does sound like it. I have a severe wheat allergy and cannot touch it or be around it at all, or I will go into anaphylaxic shock. I'm carrying 2 epi-pens.

My home has to be completely Gluten free, however, I have set up a wheaty kitchen in the garage for my dear patient loving supportive children recently. They have a refridgerator, a toaster, a toaster oven, and microwave out there. At this moment, they are baking sugar cookies out there, from a tub of pre-made cookie dough (I can't trust them with flour). The garage door is open, yet I am a little dizzy right now. My body knows it's nearby. Time to open the windows. I need to get a microwave cart so they can wheel the toaster oven far away from the house and plug it in with an extension cord. This was the first time I let them bake, and I am reacting...darn-it. So, a cart is in order. Also, my mouth is tingling, and I'm getting hot itchy spots on my face, plus my lungs feel heavy and I have brain fog.....darn-it!!!

P.S. I was doing ALL the same things you are doing just 8 months ago.....I pray you are not becoming allergic, but please watch for other symptoms of allergy. My first and number one airborne reaction is dizziness.

+3.