This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You Might Be Celiac If.......

AVR1962

catsmeow Contributor

You might be celiac if....

You've gone to the grocery store and were excited to find a gluten free isle just to turn around and see that it's also the bread isle. Doh! lol :D

GGGGRRRR..that is TRue for my local HEB grocery store!!! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ellie84 Apprentice

...if you find yourself "seeing celiacs everywhere" and have to stop yourself from telling them their obvious ill health is from gluten.... :ph34r:

That's so true... Everytime I meet people on forums and they complain about GI-problems I tell them about celiac disease. Call me weird, but I feel it's my duty to do so. celiac disease is largely undiagnosed here in NL: only 1 out of 8 is diagnosed and that's an optimistic number. Missing: over 125,000 patients. The biggest problem is that doctors don't take it seriously here. Most Dutch coeliacs have been sent home for years with "everyone's got GI-problems at some point, it's just IBS". It usually takes years before doctors actually start testing anything, and even then wrong advices are given.

My doctor put me on a diet before I ever had a biopsy. This elongated the whole process with a year, I even had to do a gluten reintroduction to get my biopsy. Gluten reintroduction failed horribly after a few weeks, leading to a nice stay at the hospital again. It was unsafe to continue, so my gastroenterologist gave me the diagnosis by evidence of my severe reactions to gluten.

After these experiences I feel that someone has to educate the public. If the doctors know nothing about it, how else should people know? So I never hide that I have celiac disease and I explain a lot to whoever wants to hear. The more people know about it, the better.

mushroom Proficient

Don't feel bad for the Dutch, Ellile -- they estimate that 97% of Americans are undiagnosed :unsure:

Di2011 Enthusiast

I think this is probably anywhere?? I look at people now and think 'get off the gluten'.

anyways.. back to topic...

you might be celiac if you feel/look like crap

Aim should be to test babys at birth...

Roda Rising Star

You might be celiac when you go to the bathroom and can identify the last thing you ate. :blink: (yeah, I know it was gross) :P

kareng Grand Master

You might be Celiac if you think this is a funny gift for your GI when filled with vegetable soup:

The Toliet Mug

2449.detail.a.webp

IrishHeart Veteran

Aim should be to test babys at birth...

I believe they do in Italy. Very wise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

You might be Celiac if you think this is a funny gift for your GI when filled with vegetable soup:

The Toliet Mug

2449.detail.a.webp

That is AWESOME!!!!!!.....Dr G. is sooo getting this for Christmas....

IrishHeart Veteran

After these experiences I feel that someone has to educate the public. If the doctors know nothing about it, how else should people know? So I never hide that I have celiac disease and I explain a lot to whoever wants to hear. The more people know about it, the better.

I could not agree more! Same for me!!!

My cousin says if I were Native American, my given name would be "She Who Sees Celiacs Everywhere" (much like that creepy little kid in the movie who sees "dead people" :lol: )

Ellie84 Apprentice

Imagine you only have the energy to make 2 christmas cards. You might be a celiac if one of them goes to your grandfather and the other one to your gastroenterologist.

IrishHeart Veteran

Y M B a C.... if your GI doc is on speed dial.

kareng Grand Master

Y M B a C.... if your GI doc is on speed dial.

Y M B a C .......took me a minute! :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Y M B a C .......took me a minute! :P

Yes, but I know you all are quick....How lazy of moi, I know....My Mom was here for a week and it was my first THX since 2006 that I was NOT SICK (YAAAY!!) and I was a hostess once more and I am a wee bit tired today. whew. :lol: eating pie and being lazy

ElseB Contributor

There's a stomach bug going around and you are actually jealous of the people with diarrhea. (true story lol)

:lol: Let me guess, you also get C after being glutened?

Lisa Mentor

Here is a thread that was begun several years ago....sit back and enjoy!

Di2011 Enthusiast

You may be Celiac if ... you lose your sense of humour for a number of days at a time..

and you are SO much more grateful than others when you get it back. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

You may be Celiac if ... you lose your sense of humour for a number of days at a time..

and you are SO much more grateful than others when you get it back. :)

:lol: Glad you're feeling better, kiddo.

Y M B a C if you totally understand when someone is feeling out of sorts because they don't feel so hot.... ;)

• 1 month later...
kareng Grand Master

You might be Celiac if....

You have in depth discussions on toast, toasting times and toasters.

navigator Apprentice

He! He! :D:D:D

Celiac Ninja Enthusiast

You may be a celiac when...you have to recite the celiac information in your head that you'll be telling people for the rest of your life, and your getting good.

love2travel Mentor

...if you wait for the first Tuesdsay of the month to get 20% off at your favourite store that stocks those expensive gluten-free flours and recognize everyone in the store... ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Y M B a C if you look forward to reading funny new posts on C.com

Jestgar Rising Star

......You roll your eyes at someone discussing a "tummy big" that gave them a day of gastrointestinal issues.

IrishHeart Veteran

......You roll your eyes at someone discussing a "tummy big" that gave them a day of gastrointestinal issues.

:rolleyes: Do you just wanna say "waaaaa, poor you!" and then play a tiny fiddle on your fingers? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Cathey Apprentice

Here is a thread that was begun several years ago....sit back and enjoy!

Thanks Lisa, what a great laugh and smile I have now. Thanks for sharing that post.

Archived