This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Gluten Intollerance?

kaysmom

kaysmom Newbie

Hi, my name is alle, my daughter is 11 months old... I need some input from parents of children w gluten intolerance or another allergy that may help me get to the bottom of my daughters problems.

My daughter has been on soy since 4 weeks, she was coliky baby. At around 3 months she became ill with bad diarrhea that was basically water coming out of her bottom. In and out of 2 pedis, gastro doc, and er twice, diarrhea lasted 6 weeks, and left as soon as it came. I could tell she had tummy pain with this bc she would have that pain cry. She has had several short bouts of diarrhea between then and 7 months. At 7 months, diarrhea came back for around 5 weeks or so. At 9 monyhs we tried to transition her back to reg formula, did not work. She got diarrhea again. Now that she is back on soy, she has been ok till a few weeks ago. She got bad diarrhea again. 3 day stool culture was done and came back negative for any parasites, viruses, or food born illnesses. She was fine for 2 weeks and now yesterday started the diarrhea again.

Talking w some coworkers they suggested a gluten and wheat free diet, and see if it goes away. Theb reintroduce the foods and if it comes back then thats our issue.

My question is can an allergy present like this? On and off responses? Or if it was the gluten would it just be a constant? Any opinions and questions are welcomed. Tia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samie Contributor

My daughter had constipation on and off till she got diagnose with celiac 3 mths ago. There were times she would be fine other times she ended up going to doctor. She finally got diganosed after i got diagnose. So it could be.

lovegrov Collaborator

Generally speaking an allergy wouldn't so much come and go. Celiac is not an allergy, however, and for many of us, symptoms came and went for years on end.

richard

millersinkenya Rookie

I could be. Has she started any solids yet? My kiddos had diarrhea really bad and then when we started solids, it was awful. I mean, 15+ stools per day when not ill. If they were ill, they had 25+. I was literally changing diapers all of the time. Once we cut the gluten out for my daughter, now she has extremely solid poos. I had to cut it out of everything I was eating... in the States, is there gluten in formula? There is here, so we unable to give her formula at all, too. With my son, his poos now range from good/solid to diarrhea. Not sure if he is super sensitive or getting glutened at school somehow. I think that depending on the amount she is getting, that could make her poos vary from ok to awful. I would talk to your doctor about what to do, since she is so young you want to make sure that she is getting the right nutrition. Good Luck!

Archived