dws

Gluten Free Countries/societies?

Rate this topic

This topic is a little tongue in cheek, but I find myself wondering if there is somewhere I could move where I would not have to deal with gluten at all. Anyone heard of gluten free communes or communities? I couldn't find anything on the internet. Some third world cultures appear gluten free, but I am sure gluten is reaching those communities more and more. Ya just get tired of the whole hassle sometimes and wish you could exist without all these worries and precautions.

I'm with you. I drive down the street looking at all the food advertisements thinking...

"Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a whole gluten free city in United States?!"

When they start one...I'm moving there...I swear!

Finland is a great country to visit if you have celiac disease. It's not "gluten free" but about 30% of the population has celiac disease and they have some of the most advance research in the world when it comes to the gluten free diet. I found it dozens of times easier to eat out in Finland than the United States. just about every menu has a whole gluten free section. The grocery stores are also very well stocked. I definitely want to go back!

Whoa, not quite 30%

According to an article from celiac.com (linked below) actual celiac prevalence in Finnish adults is about 1.5-2.0%, with a diagnosed prevalence of .55%

Finland

I'm with you. I drive down the street looking at all the food advertisements thinking...

"Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a whole gluten free city in United States?!"

When they start one...I'm moving there...I swear!

I'm kinda wondering why at least a gluten free community has not been established somewhere. Seems like it would have happened already. Sometimes I fantasize about living somewhere like Tonga, living on cassava, meat, and fruit. Of course, then you would have to deal with Giardia which is something the 3rd world is plagued by. But seriously, I probably don't have the organizational skills to get something started, but if someone else did, I would be very tempted to jump in.

Cambodia was probably the most gluten free friendly place I have visited. You can order pretty much anything and it will be gluten free, as long as you're not staying in a tourist resort.

Brazil is not gluten free, although most traditional foods there are, but what is really helpful is that every single product must be labeled by law either;

Contains gluten

Does not contain gluten

Makes shopping so much easier.