Lisa

Quaker Instant Oatmeal

Rate this topic

For the "general" Celiac Community, what are your thoughts. I have refrained until now. It was quite yummy on this cold morning. There were no gluten containing ingredients in the Walnut, Dates, Raisin. :D

When I first went gluten-free, I emailed Quaker oats. They said none of their oats are gluten-free because they are contaminated with wheat before they even get them. They don't do anything to remove the wheat.

When I first went gluten-free, I emailed Quaker oats. They said none of their oats are gluten-free because they are contaminated with wheat before they even get them. They don't do anything to remove the wheat.

I remember, in years past, much discussion about Quaker Rice Cakes and some people got sick and others had not issues.

I'll see if I can get an update and post.

Thanks Karen ;)

You can buy BRM gluten-free oats and make your own.

I cook them and add applesauce, maple, cinnamon and butter.

Yummy!

http://www.quakeroats.com/quaker-for-health-care-professionals/content/fitness-and-nutrition/rice-cakes-now-gluten-free.aspx

Quaker cares about the health and safety of its consumers and is dedicated to providing great-tasting snack options with the most accurate product information as possible. The rice cake recipe hasn’t changed, but all of the gluten-free large Rice Cakes were tested to make sure they meet the proposed federal standard for gluten-free products, which is 20 parts per million (ppm) of gluten.

No available information on the site, but will contact via e-mail regarding oat hot cereal.

• Upvote 1

I thought we were talking about oatmeal?

I thought we were talking about oatmeal?

YES Oatmeal, but I found no information regarding allergens in reference to oatmeal. Only that they tests LARGE Rice cakes, which they claim/declare gluten free as under the 20ppm proposed level.

Guess, it really wasn't that good anyway. <_< Thank you Karen :) Maybe a psilly whim............ :blink:

I'm with pricklypear if you want to try oats go with certified gluten free oats. I don't think the instant oatmeal would be safe due to the cross contamination from wheat and not to mention from processing. Sadly I am intolerent of all oats and even have issues from gluten free oat contamination in products. :( Needless to say I'm jealous of those who can eat them. :P Pocono cream of buckwheat has been my replacement. Not the same but it does satisfy my craving on a cold winter morning.

I just realized you ate some. Did you have any issues afterwards?

Edited by Roda
  • Upvote 1

I saw instant gluten-free oatmeal in the store the other day - I want to say it was made by GlutenFreeda. Might give that a shot. Something about Quaker's response has always made me a little uneasy but I think i've always been way more sensitive than you. I can only tolerate a small amount of gluten-free oats like once a month...

Something about Quaker's response has always made me a little uneasy but I think i've always been way more sensitive than you. I can only tolerate a small amount of gluten-free oats like once a month...

Yeah . . . their response seems a little more than the CYA that some companies give. I've avoided them for my daughter. I had her try the BRM certified (in cookie form :P ) and she complained about her stomach. When a girl complains after a cookie, then you know something is up so no more oats for her. I will probably test it again in a year or so, just to make sure it wasn't something else going on at the same time. In the meantime, I've got some really expensive oatmeal to feed the rest of the family when they could've eaten the cheaper Quaker!! <_<:lol: