KiwiBrit

Day 86 Of Going gluten-free And Not Feeling Good, Help?

Rate this topic

Hello,

I am now on day 86 of being gluten-free and its been going ok. I have my up and down days, but I hear thats normal.

The past few days I have not been feeling well. I dont know whether its celiac related or im just getting sick.

I just spoke with my gastro (his assistant) she said it doesnt sound like anything celiac but she would ask him when he gets back, the end of this month. So I made an appt with my primary Dr today.

I feel weird, my face is hot and at times red. I feel blood rushing through me, sometimes my heart pounds (heartbeat loud) or it races fast. I have no temp, even though I feel weird.

I drink at least 67ounces of water a day, if not more. I write everything down and keep track of what I eat. Nothing there.

Im also 40, my Mum said she had the 'change' early.

I guess the main reason im writing this is to see if any other women have had this happen.

I otherwise feel ok. Just weird. Is it menstral related?

Thanks for any advice.

-Michelle

Anyone?

Hi Kiwi Brit,

So are you a Kiwi in UK or Brit in NZ? :D

It does seem young for menopause but not unheard of.

I don't react to soy but I have read a lot~! Sounds a little similar to some peoples reaction to soy. Salicylates allergy symptoms might be worth checking too.

Perhaps you could test but be careful. I tend to wait until someone (or at least the phone) is around when I'm testing.

Do you avoid MSG?

You should talk to your mum and find out just how early she began noticing changes. The Doc needs to know and record that too.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/salicylate-allergy

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/soy-allergy

I feel weird, my face is hot and at times red. I feel blood rushing through me, sometimes my heart pounds (heartbeat loud) or it races fast. I have no temp, even though I feel weird.

I drink at least 67ounces of water a day, if not more. I write everything down and keep track of what I eat. Nothing there.

Im also 40, my Mum said she had the 'change' early.

If your mom went through menopause early, it sure sounds like you're having hot flashes. Those are absolutely classic symptoms with the flushing, heart pounding/racing, and feeling weird. I get oddly restless with mine and sometimes I break out in sweat. Once it's over I am often cold for a bit. I'm young for menopause too but it can happen early in us celiacs. The thing with hot flashes is that they're pretty fast and they can be intense. Mine come on fast and they can be over in 10-15 minutes. Putting my wrists under cool water or putting a cold cloth on my forehead helps a lot.

You can doublecheck with your Dr. that it's hot flashes and nothing more worrisome.

Hi Kiwi Brit,

So are you a Kiwi in UK or Brit in NZ? :D

It does seem young for menopause but not unheard of.

I don't react to soy but I have read a lot~! Sounds a little similar to some peoples reaction to soy. Salicylates allergy symptoms might be worth checking too.

Perhaps you could test but be careful. I tend to wait until someone (or at least the phone) is around when I'm testing.

Do you avoid MSG?

You should talk to your mum and find out just how early she began noticing changes. The Doc needs to know and record that too.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/salicylate-allergy

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/soy-allergy

I was born in the UK and grew up in NZ. :)

I looked at the soy allergy you posted and was surprised that that is a lot of what I have. Going to call my Dr on Monday and ask about being tested.

Thanks!

Thanks Skylark. I mentioned early menopause to my Dr and she doesnt think so.

I just wish I was never sick again.

Two possibilities: thyroid problem or B-12 deficiency. I have both problems, and when either gets out of hand, I end up with hot flashes and my heart pounds. These can both easily be tested for and are common in people with celiac, so perhaps your doctor would be willing to do them. Or....you could buy some sublingual Vitamin B-12 in the meantime and see if you start feeling better. Usually, my symptoms resolve after a day of taking the sublingual B-12. However, if you don't feel better, it might very well be your thyroid that is causing problems. When my Hashimoto's flares up, the hot flashes are acute and uncomfortable--bright, red face...and I feel as though I'm burning up. When I first started getting them, I thought it was menopausal because I'd just finished a round of chemo for breast cancer and could no longer menstruate. However, once I began taking thyroid medication, the hot flashes disappeared immediately.

Come to think of it, I haven't had any hot flashes since my Dr. upped my thyroid medicine a little.

anxiety?? That's how i feel when i start freaking out. Pounding heart and blood rushing especially. It feels like my blood is rushing and heart is pounding too. Especially with panich attacks