• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

kimis

Cooking In Microwave And Cross Contamination

Rate this topic

I know this might sound dumb....but I just heated up some gluten filled lasagna for my boyfriend in the microwave. When I took it out I noticed condensation inside the microwave from it. Does that condensation contain gluten because it came from a gluten source? Do I need to get my own microwave?

I would think the condensation is steam but something like lasagne could also splash as it's getting zapped...but whenever I heat up anything in my microwave, I cover it. I've used everything from wax paper, plastic wrap, a paper towel or a plastic cover that fits over a dinner plate (depends on what I'm heating up). I got some plastic plate covers at the dollar store and I've also seen them in Wal-Mart.

ETA: I don't think you'd need your own microwave if you take precautions heating things up.

Edited by sa1937

I always cover with parchment paper just to be safe because an errant flying bit of pasta attached to the microwave ceiling could always drop down into your tea.

But I often wondered about that ominous microwave "steam" as well, for example if it's from zapped pasta or something buttery that will make me react, and I DIDN'T cover my plate and put it in directly afterward, could that be an issue of CC?

I have small plates that I turn over on top of a bowl. We tend to have exploding chili beans! They stick to the roof. Get a couple of paper towels and wipe the inside down. I think it would be worse at a shared office microwave. At home you can keep it clean.

Make BF some lasagna with gluten-free noodles. No one at my house notices and you don't have to cook the noodles first.

I really appreciate this thread. I rely on communal microwaves for all of my lunches, and have seen some really yucky ones, even in hospital cafeterias. I try to remember to pack a piece of parchment paper in my lunch to use in the microwave. If I forget to pack the parchment paper, I use a napkin or deli paper to wrap up my food, or wash the plastic cover that was used before.

That being said, I've never suffered consequences from a microwave that was used by gluten eaters. I'd insist on separate toasters, and the gluten toaster located away from your kitchen, but I'm okay with sharing a microwave.