Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monklady123

Always Check That List Of Ingredients....

My dh has been overseas. He just got back, bearing gifts as usual. One of them was chocolate. He handed me a yummy-looking chocolate/coffee filled German confection. Ingredients only in German. Thanks to the internet and the German/English translation sites I was able to discover that "Gerstenmalz" is "barley malt". :ph34r: I first put in "gerstenmalz" and came up with nothing, but my ds who has just started studying German told me that probably the "malz" part was a separate word so I googled just "gersten" and just "malz".

Whatever did we do in the days before the internet? lol..

So for future reference, avoid anything that has "gerstenmalz" as an ingredient. lol.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is one of my paranoias. My DH and I have had dreams of travelling extensively in Asia but I just don't think I can eat safely there. Europe seems safer to me but I will still have to learn "oats, barley, wheat, malt, spelt etc etc" in 10 or so languages. lol

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

We travel all over Europe and have just returned home from Croatia and Italy. As I am trying to learn both languages I know the words to look out for - whenever we travel I just type myself a list of the words (i.e. gluten free, no/without gluten, wheat, barley, oats, rye, lactose and so on) with translations and take it with me when shopping. Sometimes I ask a young person to read and translate as many young Europeans know English very well. If I am in doubt I will not purchase. We will be in France and Slovenia next year in addition to Croatia and Italy again so will do the same for those countries.

Be aware that Google Translate does not do a great job with difficult languages such as Croatian!

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.