This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are Your Thanksgiving Plans This Year?

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

After much debate on having people over, spending the day cooking and cleaning up, we decided to go out this year. We live in Germany and there's a few of the local restaurants that actually serve a buffet for the iholiday. So we going to do this with friends. Always feels a bit disconnected from the holidays without family to share it with but then again, LOL!

What about you? Any favorites you have had to try and figure new ways to fix. Foods you're leaving out this year? Taking your own food to someone else's house to avoid the risk?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

Friends are flying in from Philadelphia... a friend of theirs and his daughter are coming to spend a few days... and our neighbor will join us for dinner on Thursday.

But then just found out that the friends from Philadelphia may have to postpone their trip, which will make the friend (whom we've met only once) make other plans I'm sure... so it may just be our neighbor and us.

We won't know until tomorrow if the friends trip has to be postponed and I have to shop for the food today, so we'll either have the right amount of food or tons of leftovers.

I am trying probably my 10th stuffing recipe in my 10 years of celiac. I've never been able to remotely recreate the stuffing I grew up w/ and loved. It sort of changed the whole Thanksgiving meal for me. But I love to cook the meal (and eat it!) so I'll give it yet another shot.

We'll have all the other usuals. Our Phila. friend asked us to deep fry the turkey so that'll be a little different than other years.

samie Contributor

I am cooking thanksgiving. Most of my famliy live out of state. The only family that lives close by is my older brother, newphew and twin brother but dont think they will be coming over. I think my older brother works that night. We invited a friends over. They might come over after they go to their family. I just got grocery for it it will be our first gluten-free thanksgiving. I hope the stuffing will be good. I love the stuffing. Im goonna start some stuff the day before (like deviled eggs). Thanksgiving day getting up early to start cooking turkey.

Juliebove Rising Star

We're not doing much. We usually go to my parent's house but my dad has been having some medical problems and my mom thinks the added stress of holidays isn't working out for him. So we are staying home.

My husband likes turkey legs so I bought a family pack for him. I will probably cook those the day before. Have some old packages of gluten-free cornbread mix that I will make into muffins. Daughter and I are having Carving Board turkey. Pre-made mashed potatoes. Canned green beans. Canned cranberry sauce. Boxed gravy. A couple of pre-made desserts that I bought. Might buy a pie or something for husband. He just likes to watch football. Daughter and I are not at all interested in that.

mbrookes Community Regular

I can't wait! My husband,my two children, their spouses and all four grandchildren will be here. I am doing allthe cooking, so I don't have to worry about being poisoned. There will be turkey, cornbread dressing, oyster dressing, spinach casserole, sweet potatoes, squash casserole, Chebe rolls, homemade cranberry sauce, caramel cake and pecan pie. Did I say I'm excited? There is nothing I like better that having all my family gathered together.

aeb Newbie

My dad and I will be walking in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC. Ironically we were assigned to the Pillsbury Dough Boy, I guess he is really cute though. My favorite food cartoon as a kid!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My dad and I will be walking in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC. Ironically we were assigned to the Pillsbury Dough Boy, I guess he is really cute though. My favorite food cartoon as a kid!

I will be watching for you in the parade. That sounds like fun as long as the weather is good.

My day will be quiet. I'll do a dinner for me and my fur family and look forward to phone calls from out of state kids. Glad they are going to be celebrating together and while I will miss them I don't miss all the days of preperation and work for holiday dinners.

If the day is nice I may put up the dog pen for my Maggie so she has a sheltered place to go for her 'business' when the weather gets bad.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday whether they are getting together with groups or keeping things peaceful at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

What an awesome experience! Enjoy!!

AVR1962 Collaborator

To all, whatever the plans, enjoy your Thanksgiving day whether time with others or spending a day to yourself. I WISH everyone the best at not getting glutened!!!!

love2travel Mentor

I know this is a little late but we spent our Canadian Thanksgiving in Croatia. We had fresh whole sea bass roasted with potatoes; grilled fresh scampi; grilled scallops and roe in the shell with white wine; grilled fresh shark and panna cotta for dessert. Not like we were pigs or anything! :P

All the fish and shellfish was caught in the sea just outside of the restaurant that morning.

We usually do not do the traditional turkey as it is not my favourite protein. I like to have duck or lamb instead with a puree of some sort.

Archived