Silencio

Xanthan Gum Needed For Home Made Cookies?

Rate this topic

Im about to make my first batch of gluten-free cookies. I have everything but Xanthan Gum. I cant seem to find it in stores. Its called for it in the recipe but is it absolutely needed?

Are you using a baking mix or just plain gluten free flours? If you're not using a mix that has it in it then I would say yes you do need to get some for the cookies to come out right. You should be able to find it in with the spices in many grocery stores.

Perhaps someone else might know something you could sub for it?

I agree with the above poster that you'll need xanthan gum. Otherwise, your cookies will fall apart and not be at all chewy. Whenever I make cookies, I use a gluten-free flour mix (usually from Bob Red Mills) and add 2-3 teaspoons of xanthan gum. I've never had to use an "official" gluten-free cookie recipe to make cookies....so it's really easy to make cookies, in general.

As for where to find xanthan gum, I've found it at both regular supermarkets and at healthfood stores.

I haven't done any baking yet but I did read in one Bread book that Guar Gum can be substituted for Xanthan Gum. But, like I said it was in a bread book.

Do you have kroger near by? If so they should have some with the health food section.

I make my cookies without the xanthan gum, stomach does not like it. 3/4 of flour amount I use a multi purpose gluten-free flour, 1/4 of recipe I use almond flour and then I add approx 1/4 c. corn starch, and many times I'll grind gluten-free oats in with it. The corn starch helps the cookie dough to not be as runny. I heard of others using gelatin but I have not tried that.