This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Machine Opinions?

deannab

deannab Newbie

To buy a bread machine, or not to buy a bread machine... that's the question. It's Christmas time, when appliances are cheaper, and I've really been toying with the idea of purchasing a bread machine. gluten-free bread is expensive, and I'd love to have something fresh (as the bread I purchase is always frozen).

Here are my questions to those with bread machines.

Is having a bread machine really worth it??

Is the bread as good (or better :) ) than- let's say- Udi's?

If you recommend purchasing a bread machine- which one should I go with? I know there are many with gluten-free settings, but I want to know which ones are worth my money.

Does it save you money?

Thanks for your advice!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Sorry to tag onto your topic but.....

I am thinking the same thing. My dd will ONLY eat Udi's white, not multigrain, not Rudi's, not Kinnikinnick , not ANYTHING.

So I question if I can replicate that in a bread machine because otherwise it's not worth to me.

Anyone out there using a bread machine to make plain, simple, white bread like "Udi's" ? If so share your machine and recipe info please.

misslexi Apprentice

"The Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix"

I've made that with and without a breadmaker. It is a mix, but its a decent white bread. I don't think I've tried Udi's...I've stopped even trying to buy commercial gluten free bread. Just from what I know in general of gluten free bread, I doubt there is a whole lot of difference...unless Udi's has the magical ability to be light, fluffy AND gluten free.

But honestly, thats a nice bread mix. I usually slice it thinly because it is on the dense side....but yumm grilled cheese sandwiches!

I can't recall any difference between using the breadmaker, or making it without. Breadmaker may have taken longer though...I was using the oven for something else so it was warm, when I made it without I just placed it on top to rise under a tea towel.

I make a very fluffy banana bread with just a pan and a recipe, but I'm pretty sure thats not the same lol.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Nope not the same at all. I have made that brand in the oven and it's not like Udi's.

Udi's is as light and airy as a gluten-free bread can be. But very very small slices and at $6ish per loaf of 10-12 slices, it's expensive. It's also not always in stock because of it's likeability.

ANyone else know Udi's and use a bread machine?

fantasticalice Explorer

I have 3 breadmakers sitting around. You pay shipping and you can have one. Last year I bought a new one with a gluten free setting, took it back. No matter which one you buy you have to mess with the damn thing. You can't just walk away. If you don't time it right and take the paddle out you have a huge hole in your bread. Not for me.

Myself? I would rather have a GOOD cookbook and a standing mixer. I bought mine refurbished for $150 and it's 450 watts. I'd never had one and let me tell you, I use it at least 5 times a week. It mixes everything, including meal-loaf, throw in leftovers that will work together and bake it in a loaf. Kind of like hash. I know, it sounds like jail food but I use tortillas, eggs, cheese, whatever I have, beans, corn, it all bakes up real good.

I'm serious, I live in CA. You pay postage, you can have one of these beasts!

alice

sa1937 Community Regular

I also debated about getting a bread machine after buying just one totally inedible loaf of gluten-free bread. I was looking at a bread machine or a KitchenAid stand mixer. I bought the mixer as I thought it would be far more versatile and I didn't have room for both. It was the right decision for me.

We've had some recent discussions on bread machines. You might want to use that google button at the top right-hand corner of your screen and search the threads that come up.

thegirlsmom Apprentice

I have 3 breadmakers sitting around. You pay shipping and you can have one. Last year I bought a new one with a gluten free setting, took it back. No matter which one you buy you have to mess with the damn thing. You can't just walk away. If you don't time it right and take the paddle out you have a huge hole in your bread. Not for me.

Myself? I would rather have a GOOD cookbook and a standing mixer. I bought mine refurbished for $150 and it's 450 watts. I'd never had one and let me tell you, I use it at least 5 times a week. It mixes everything, including meal-loaf, throw in leftovers that will work together and bake it in a loaf. Kind of like hash. I know, it sounds like jail food but I use tortillas, eggs, cheese, whatever I have, beans, corn, it all bakes up real good.

alice

So I have the mixer. I bought a nice one for making homemade bread and then I found out I had to go Gluten free. Have you found a good bread making cookbook?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

Myself? I would rather have a GOOD cookbook and a standing mixer.

I agree. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer all the time.

We rarely buy bread - I make homemade. But I rarely make a normal loaf of bread. I do a lot of rolls, buns, mini-loaves, etc. That way I can just bake what will be eaten right away, and freeze the rest of the dough. Then I have some ready-made dough when I just need a little.

I experiment a lot with recipes, and I find all the variables too much to predict rise time and even bake time, so I prefer to eyeball it.

misslexi Apprentice

Nope not the same at all. I have made that brand in the oven and it's not like Udi's.

Udi's is as light and airy as a gluten-free bread can be. But very very small slices and at $6ish per loaf of 10-12 slices, it's expensive. It's also not always in stock because of it's likeability.

ANyone else know Udi's and use a bread machine?

Really?? Good to know its possible, but thats very expensive for me. Thanks for the info though! I had no idea. I'm not even sure I've seen it in stores here before.

Pac Apprentice

I've never seen or eaten Udi's bread and I have local brand (czech) bread machine so I can only add a few general tips that might help. (or might be totally useless, who knows :) ).

My bread machine has 12 programs. I only use three:

"rise" - to let dough rise in steady temperature (20-48

Ginsou Explorer

I have a Zojirushi bread machine Model BCC-X20 and a Cuisinart stand mixer Model SM-55. I can honestly say my stand mixer gets the most use. I'm also able to purchase both Udi's and Rudi's bread locally. I have never been able to find a recipe that I'm really crazy about that comes close to Rudi's or Udi's bread. I did make a loaf of King Arthur white bread that was delicious straight out of the oven, but within 1 day it was just like all other gluten free breads. I am anxious to try their multi-grain bread, just haven't had the time.

I have Annalise Roberts Gluten Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine cookbook that gives specific recipes for the Z machine, and have only tried 1 recipe that came out so-so.I did not find that the Z machine with 2 paddles mixed the bread any different than a machine with 1 paddle. The Z machine makes a loaf of bread that is more horizontal than vertical.....but you are left with 2 holes in the bread from the paddles and you need to use a 2 lb. recipe.

I would go with a stand mixer....Kitchen Aid usually has a rebate coupon around the holidays, which helps.

Pamela1077 Newbie

alice

Out of the breadmakers that you have bought, which brand or model do you recommend? I too am looking at buying one. I have been on this gluten free diet for 3 weeks or so and I miss bread so bad. My kids have went back to white bread as we can't afford $4/ loaf when we pay $1 a loaf. Thanks, Pam

x0xteenyx0x Rookie

I was also looking into buying a bread machine. I made the gluten free pantry french bread and pizza mix in the oven the other week and it turned out pretty good (a little heavy, but good), so i thought a bread machine would make the bread more light and fluffy. But looking into this i see most people say it turns out better in the oven, and more of a mess to clean up with the machine..

What do you guys think?

Christine

mamaw Community Regular

We love the zorjirushi--- a true workhorse that will last for years...

There also is the Bready which is SIMPLE to use but you need to buy the gluten-free mixes for that one&it is pricey..I know a couple who owns this & they love how simple it is but again on sale $50.00 off but the mixes gets expensive....

Korwyn Explorer

Ours is a Breadman Pro which has a gluten-free cycle. Got it for $99 on sale at Amazon. Love it! It comes with a recipe for a generic white bread, that while not 'light' is actually a very good recipe. I replaced the soy flour with sorghum and it works really well. It's the recipe that I used to make bread for our dressing for dinner yesterday.

theglutenfreegirly Newbie

I personally use a bread machine. I have a wonderful gluten free bread machine recipe and I make it all the time! Its the most "normal" bread I have tasted since the diagnosis!

If you want the recipe, you could always message me, or I may even open a thread with the recipe. :)

Archived