This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone gluten-free, Salicylate-Free And Nickel-Free?

Deacon's Garden

Deacon's Garden Rookie

I am trying to sort out everything I am reacting to. I know I have a nickel allergy, but never knew it was in food. On top of being gluten-free, now, it seems impossible to find anything to eat. Now I am suspecting a salicylate sensitivity/allergy. I know I react topically, now I need to see if foods bother me, too. But that leaves me basically just celery to eat.

Also, I am trying to find a comprehensive list of safe gluten-free foods so that I can print it out and then cross out the nickel and salicylate problem foods to see what is left. Can anyone help?

Subsisting on air, herbal tea and brown rice right now....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

I don't think it is possible to be salicylate FREE, but being low sal should be good enough. Everyone has a salicylate threshold. yours is probably just low.

The following foods are on the "failsafe" diet and are sal-free or low-sal. I know nothing about nickel.

- unprocessed meats & seafood

- eggs

- most grains

- white potatoes (peeled)

- bamboo shoots

- most beans, chickpeas, red or brown lentils (NOT green)

- green beans

- brussels sprouts

- cabbage

- cashew nuts

- leeks, shallots

- swedes/rutabagas

- pears -- peeled

those are the *extremely* low sal foods. I'm sure you can find more comprehensive lists on low-sal websites.

best of luck to ya.

MarciaD Newbie

Have you checked with the Feingold Association? It's foodlist lists food by brand name that are dye/flavoring,preservative free with notations whether the product contains gluten (as casein).

I am trying to sort out everything I am reacting to. I know I have a nickel allergy, but never knew it was in food. On top of being gluten-free, now, it seems impossible to find anything to eat. Now I am suspecting a salicylate sensitivity/allergy. I know I react topically, now I need to see if foods bother me, too. But that leaves me basically just celery to eat.

Also, I am trying to find a comprehensive list of safe gluten-free foods so that I can print it out and then cross out the nickel and salicylate problem foods to see what is left. Can anyone help?

Subsisting on air, herbal tea and brown rice right now....

missmellie Newbie

A wild idea here - if you are extremely sensitive to nickel, perhaps what you are reacting to is that your food has touched the nickel in your stainless steel flatware. Lots of stainless steel contains nickel.

Maybe you could try using plastic for a few days, just to see if you see any difference?

bartfull Rising Star

I've got the same intolerances/sensitivities you do, PLUS I think I am super-sensitive to corn. I am living on meat, cheese, and cauliflower. I can also eat Starbucks ice cream, which is what keeps me sane. :P

The biggest problem I have found is this: Most foods that are low in sals are high in nickel. That's why cauliflower is the only veggie I can eat. Pears are low in sals if you peel them, but they too are high in nickel. So I don't eat any friut at all.

And the brown rice is high in nickel too. You should switch to white rice, or even better yet, organic sushi rice. I bought some but haven't tried it yet because I am waiting to heal from the last bout. (I took a chance on a vitamin B-12 tablet, and sure enough, it got me. I think it was the "natural cherry flavor". Even something like THAT is often carried on corn. :angry: )

I HAVE noticed that ricecakes don't seem to bother me. I think the way they are made, most of the nickel is washed out of them or something. The important thing is to get some supplements because you are not getting all the nutrition you need. I haven't found any yet that don't have corn, so I am eating a lot more beef. Beef has more vitamins and minerals than chicken.

If you Google salicylate sensitivity you will find the salicylate sensitivity forum. There are quite a few folks over there who have nickel allergies and they have helped me a lot.

bartfull Rising Star

Oh yeah, about those stainless steel pans - they say you should never cook acidic foods like tomato sauce in them because that WILL leach the nickel out of the pan and into your food. Aluminum or glass is best.

elfie Newbie

Oh yeah, about those stainless steel pans - they say you should never cook acidic foods like tomato sauce in them because that WILL leach the nickel out of the pan and into your food. Aluminum or glass is best.

Interesting on that one. I stopped using aluminum pans at all, but especially with acidic foods because I was told the aluminum would leach out. My reason for it was because my testing from the doctor showed an overload of aluminum in my system.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I once had some tomato sauce eat a hole in an aluminum pan (it got hidden in the back of the fridge :unsure: )

Archived