Silencio

Stay Away From gluten-free Food That Is Made With Other Gluten Products?

Rate this topic

Even though some food is totally gluten-free should I stay away if its made in the same place as other products with gluten in it?

No gluten products effect me since I just got off gluten. My GI said its probably because I built up a tolerance to it. Im sure it will get worse as time goes on since im off gluten all together now.

I personally don't worry about labels saying something is from a facility where wheat is handled. I have occasionally reacted to foods stating that they were made on shared manufacturing lines so I tend to avoid those.

My experiences have been both positive and negative with such products. I have to admit, though, that the few times I got glutened have convinced me NOT to continue to eat gluten-free products that have been produced in a factory that processes wheat. I read about a study a few years back that stated that when a product is produced in a factory that also processes foods with gluten, there is a 30% chance of getting glutened. If the product label states that the same equipment is used for both gluten and gluten-free products, the chances of getting glutened go up to 70%.

I have had particularly bad luck eating the "gluten-free" products at Trader Joe's. However, it could be that I'm just very sensitive. Some people on this forum have experienced no problems.