RVluvin

Certified Gluten-Free

Rate this topic

Purchased frozen pie crust Certified Gluten-Free with the CF logo inside a circle. Under the ingredients is the statment, contains: Tree Nuts. Facility also processes wheat, milk, eggs, soy, fish & peanuts.

I'm concerned with the wheat. Is this not cross contamination? I'm puzzeled how it got its CF Certification. The company is Fabe's All Natural Bakery, out of Salinas, CA. I want to call the company, but I'm sure their closed today.

Happy Thanksgiving!

They do not even have to be on dedicated lines to be certified gluten free. Here is an excerpt from GFCO.

Are Dedicated lines important?

Sometimes. The type of production process, cleaning methods and other factors are important in accessing if a gluten-free product can safely be run on the same line after gluten containing products. Our auditors assess the risk for cross contamination during their audits. Manufacturers may be required to test equipment to document that lines can be safely used to produce gluten-free products. Dedicated lines and equipment used for gluten-free products greatly reduces the chances of cross contamination.

That symbol means they are getting inspections and independent verification that their food is under 10 ppm gluten by GFCO. You might want to look at how the GFCO certification works for some peace of mind. http://gfco.org/ I have found GFCO certified foods to be very safe. :)

I wouldn't be concerned in the least. In the same facility doesn't even mean in the same room, much less on the same line. And it's jumped through all the hoops for certification. Very little of the food we buy is "certified."

richard

No worries--GFCO is very reliable. I know the people personally who set up this certification and continue to run it. They are sensitive celiacs and take the reliability of the certification process very seriously.