This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grossest Food To Eat?

kareng

BabsV Enthusiast

We lived in Uruguay for 2 years and they grilled every available bit of the cow there...I gotta say the intestines were what made me retch a bit. The host of the parilla we were at wouldn't leave me along until I tried them so I was game and took a bite. Big mistake since the texture just grossed me out...I think I turned a little green and the host backed down from pushing me to try to any of the other internal organs (I know there was heart on there and others things.) I had a British friend who lived there at the same time and she swore they ate every part of the cow except the hooves. Those they made into souvenirs for tourists!

I almost tried chickens' feet in Hong Kong. My mom has done durian and even 100-day old eggs. Brave woman my mom! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

We lived in Uruguay for 2 years and they grilled every available bit of the cow there...I gotta say the intestines were what made me retch a bit. The host of the parilla we were at wouldn't leave me along until I tried them so I was game and took a bite. Big mistake since the texture just grossed me out...I think I turned a little green and the host backed down from pushing me to try to any of the other internal organs (I know there was heart on there and others things.) I had a British friend who lived there at the same time and she swore they ate every part of the cow except the hooves. Those they made into souvenirs for tourists!

I almost tried chickens' feet in Hong Kong. My mom has done durian and even 100-day old eggs. Brave woman my mom! :)

yeah, as much as I am willing to try anything, I draw the line at intestines. ugh.

wow, Babs...you do get around! Poland, Greece, Uruguay...you should write a column..."A celiac eats her way around the world..." :)

IrishHeart Veteran

LOL Haggis is indeed pretty gross, but it can be made semi-palatable with plenty of Scotch. Not so bad the next day as haggis burgers (with plenty of Scotch), too.

... I'd eat anything (maybe even those intestines I just dissed) if you gave me enough scotch with it :lol:

Di2011 Enthusiast

I've never liked Scotch (or US.. sorry friends) whiskeys.

But a good Irish version of whiskey would make anything seem like bliss!

love2travel Mentor

I was a culinary daredevil in the old days. I would make/eat anything.

Two things come to mind....

Squid in ink made by a persistent Italian chef who insisted I would love it. Yes, it was very good. :)

Head cheese at a German Oktoberfest. (I was young and did not realize what the name MEANT--DUH!) Yes, it was good. :) Now that I know what it IS, I would not eat it on a dare. :blink::lol:

Like you, I am a culinary daredevil and would try nearly everything once except maggot cheese from Italy and animal eyeballs (i.e. in Syria). I've tried so many interesting things that many people have not even heard of. Had cuttlefish (like squid) ink in risotto several times (twice a couple of weeks ago in Croatia) and LOVE it so much. Head cheese is not my favourite thing in the world. Neither is haggis in Scotland but not bad.

love2travel Mentor

In each country we visit (we've been to about 20) we make sure to try as many authentically local things as we can including blood pudding, brains, sweetbreads, Prairie oysters, etc. So far the only thing I do not want to eat again is cottage cheese except for the fresh sheep cottage cheese in Croatia. :D Oh, and some types of raw shellfish. LOVE beef tartare and carpaccio, though, but they are hardly strange or unusual.

One other thing I won't try (besides aforementioned animal eyeballs and live maggot cheese is live octopus chopped up but still wiggling - it has choked many). Oh, and puffer fish. That is just plain suicidal if the chef is off by more than 1 mm. I have no problems with COOKED insects but would have issues with wriggling fat grubs.

jerseyangel Proficient

Great thread! Love reading what adventurous foodies you all are :D

My grandma's red squid sauce is about as exotic as I've experienced.

Eyeballs and dog--wow!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have to give you guys an update on the black tortilla chips. I warned M, (15) about the dye turning poop green or black. Didn't warn Hub. I thought he would know after all these years. He told me tonight he thought something was terribly wrong as he pooped bright green for 2 days. He finally figured it out & was relieved! :P

Not sure why he didn't consult me! We Celiacs are poop experts!

bigbird16 Apprentice

One other thing I won't try (besides aforementioned animal eyeballs and live maggot cheese is live octopus chopped up but still wiggling - it has choked many). Oh, and puffer fish. That is just plain suicidal if the chef is off by more than 1 mm. I have no problems with COOKED insects but would have issues with wriggling fat grubs.

I'll try just about anything once, unless it's still moving or potentially deadly, like that puffer fish. I've liked the blood puddings from Puerto Rico and Ireland I've tried.I've never been offput by many of the meaty things, but custardy things like flan I find vile (more textural than taste). Sorry if I offend any friends from across the Great Ponds, but Marmite tops my gross list -- over flan, haggis (sans scotch), bread pudding, and mincemeat pie.

bigbird16 Apprentice

I have to give you guys an update on the black tortilla chips. I warned M, (15) about the dye turning poop green or black. Didn't warn Hub. I thought he would know after all these years. He told me tonight he thought something was terribly wrong as he pooped bright green for 2 days. He finally figured it out & was relieved! :P

Not sure why he didn't consult me! We Celiacs are poop experts!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RiceGuy Collaborator

I think I'd sooner eat gluten than some of the things mentioned in this thread!

Is it just me, or are the grossest things mostly from animals?

love2travel Mentor

I think I'd sooner eat gluten than some of the things mentioned in this thread!

Is it just me, or are the grossest things mostly from animals?

Seems like it! I have a book that discusses the vilest foods of the world and it is intruiging. However, what is unusual to us can be a delicacy and nutritious to others. I really enjoy watching Andrew Zimmern's show - he will try anything.

Another thing that is supposedly vile is durian but I have not tried it fresh. Oh, and another thing I would not be game to try is rotted shark. Shark is buried underground for several months until soft and, well, rotted.

mushroom Proficient

LOL Haggis is indeed pretty gross, but it can be made semi-palatable with plenty of Scotch. Not so bad the next day as haggis burgers (with plenty of Scotch), too.

So they eat haggis as an excuse for drinking the scotch??? :lol: But then, who needs an excuse to drink scotch?? I think I'll just skip the haggis part, thank you very much.

Jestgar Rising Star

Another thing that is supposedly vile is durian but I have not tried it fresh.

'tis yummy. Not at all vile. :)

love2travel Mentor

'tis yummy. Not at all vile. :)

Good to know because I am very curious and would like to try it. I should clarify - I have read that the flavour is lovely but the smell is vile. True?

Di2011 Enthusiast

It is truly the most stinky fruit on the planet. When you walk around the streets of Indonesia, particularly in market areas, you can smell it for miles. It has a very distinct smell so if you are wandering around hungry you just have to follow the smell - honest :lol:

Jestgar Rising Star

Good to know because I am very curious and would like to try it. I should clarify - I have read that the flavour is lovely but the smell is vile. True?

Someone brought some to a work potluck, so I can tell you the responses of a whole group of people.

Some thought the smell was very mild, some found it bad, but tolerable for a while, and some absolutely couldn't stand it. I think it just depends on the receptors in your nose.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've heard the durain smells like a foot locker or a pair of tennis shoes, or dirty socks. You get the picture - it sticks. But the flesh inside is like cream, and is supposed to be a real delight. One of these days I may try it.

Speaking of smelly things to eat, there is a spice called Asafoetida, which apparently means "devil's dung". Dung can be really foul-smelling enough as it is, but that of the devil I imagine would stink beyond compare. I've read that this spice is so smelly, that it must be kept in a sealed glass container, apart from other spices and foods so the odor doesn't mess them up. Once cooked, it's supposed to be sorta like onion and garlic together.

kareng Grand Master

I've heard the durain smells like a foot locker or a pair of tennis shoes, or dirty socks.

Oh! We would probably be fine with it at my house. I will just keep them in the teen boys rooms until we want to eat it! No one will notice. :)

Archived