sandsurfgirl

Overreacting To All Illness?

Rate this topic

I feel like after the ordeal with celiac and taking 6 months to heal I overreact to any illness. If I get a cold I get so upset and depressed about it. I get upset and lose perspective on the severity of things. Like latey having nausea from iron supplements messing up my gut I was so down about it.

Anybody else feel this way?

You may be being to hard on yourself expecting more from your body than it can give... Six months to heal from celiac is pretty darn good for most..

Acceptance of anything is sometimes hard to digest, you maybe telling yourself your okay with things but your sub-mind may be thinking different...causing an internal war within...

I truly believe the mind, body, spirit all have to be in sync...

Feel better soon....

Being ill with a virus changes my brain chemistry and I get upset and depressed. Are you that way too?

I'd definitely be upset about having my gut messed up again by a supplement after finally figuring out the celiac! That's just normal.

Totally with you all on this. It's taken so long to just relax and realize its just a cold or a strained limb, rather than something to do with celiac. I used to over-analyse everything! Some deep breathing is really helping. And some gardening. My little daughter and I planted over 200 bulbs today!

You may be being to hard on yourself expecting more from your body than it can give... Six months to heal from celiac is pretty darn good for most..

Acceptance of anything is sometimes hard to digest, you maybe telling yourself your okay with things but your sub-mind may be thinking different...causing an internal war within...

I truly believe the mind, body, spirit all have to be in sync...

Feel better soon....

I've been diagnosed for nearly 2 years now. It just took me 6 months gluten free to have one symptom free day. It's been a long process.

But you are right, even 2 years is not that much considering I was diagnosed at 40 and had celiac my whole life.

I was hospitalized the beginning of October for an adrenal problem and was in there 10 days. I have been exploring the mind body spirit connectedness thing a lot since then. How much illness I have claimed through fear and thinking sick all the time. I've realized how much negativity I took on because of being sick with celiac and I'm working hard to release that.

That all ties in with this thread too, because I'm realizing how much my perspective has been skewed by my battle with celiac. All those years of being sick and not knowing why has give me this fear of sickness so that I overreact to simple things. It's the first day of my period today (sorry to men who are reading this) and I got so down about being tired when I woke up and not feeling good.

I'm starting therapy again on Tuesday and I really want to work through this and get the right perspective.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like you understand the issues you face , now just to overcome them.. I know that can be difficult to say the least.. We all have different coping skills so what might be easy for some is very difficult for another....here's hoping at the end of this you will have smooth sailing....After I had my thyroid ablated I became very sad , tired& depressed..(doctors didnt give correct meds).if it doesn't stay in check with meds I have issues...

blessings

Mamaw, I always like to read your posts. I didn't know you had that thyroid treatment done.

I was coping really well until I was hospitalized for the adrenal stuff. Then they told me I probably had Cushings, then they said maybe not. Now I'm retesting for Cushings, but it's looking good that I don't have it.

This new health experience pushed me over the edge and coming back hasn't been easy. My dad is battling lung and brain cancer- so much worse than what I've faced and I feel guilty for having my own emotional struggles with illness.

I realized that there were still unresolved issues over celiac that were hiding under the surface.

It sounds very much like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. For years, decades even, you have been battling an unknown enemy. Journaling, reading, researching, testing, probing, all while you are suffering debilitating side effects; it is enough to cause PTSD-like symptoms. You have been your own health warrior, advocating and even questioning your doctors and your self. It is no wonder that you are startled at every bump in the road. Totally understandable.

I have finally relaxed a bit but it is a challenge at times. We have developed a special relationship with doctors, all doctors no matter how good they are - they have to prove themselves to us. For so long doctors have told us what they think and many times they are wrong. We have had to rely on ourselves. So, even when we find a doctor that understands or even diagnoses us, we don't trust that they know everything. We are skeptical. When someone is diagnosed with a broken leg or even the flu, you don't question the doctor. You are given a remedy/prescription and off you go. Complete trust. But celiac disease is tricky and we are finding that doctors, even the knowledgeable ones, don't know the nuances of how it affects everyone. The fact that it is an autoimmune disease makes it even harder. There is so much gray and not much black and white. All this makes us question everything about our health and our bodies. We are waiting for the next shoe to drop. Our bodies have abused us and we are waiting for the next blow. Man, I am just Little Miss Sunshine this morning, huh? :huh: Just trying to say that 'I hear ya!'

Chin up, sandsurfgirl - you are not in this alone! We totally get where you are in your journey.