Metoo

Eating Out - I've Been Glutened Vent

Rate this topic

Ugh. I am only on week 4 of being gluten-free. And...its so hard at work. We all went out to eat, and I tried...tried to find something gluten free there. I got chicken, coleslaw and baked beans. I KNEW the baked beans probably were not safe...and there was a chance the coleslaw wouldn't be either....but I didn't want to make a fuss.

Then I felt like I looked like I was eating like a bird (I work will all guys)...so I took 2 bites of the beans, and 2 of the coleslaw.

WIthin 1 HOUR my stomach was killing me. I feel like puking. At least I have something to write in my food log, that my allergist wants I guess.

I need to somehow avoid eating out while still needing to go along to be social. Luckily we don't eat out often, but with the holidays its expected more. Blah!

When we have company meals in...at least I can order and get something specific, when we don't select the restaurant it makes it so much harder. =(

Bring a lunch from home? Say. "Oh I forgot! I'll just take this along".

You could just tell them the truth. You have an autoimmune disease with a very simple cure - eating gluten-free.

If you don't ask the restauraunt, who knows what is in the food. Maybe a plain grilled chicken was grilled on top of the crumbs from a sandwich bun.

Its your health, not thiers. How you choose to treat your body is your choice.

Eating in a restaurant is always a risk, especially if they don't know you have to eat gluten free. Try to find restaurants in the area that can serve a gluten free meal and propose this one instead.