This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Eat For Breakfast?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I have been reacting to Chex cereals. It is the only thing that I have added besides plain black Twinings tea. I emailed the company who makes the Chex. They are not even made on dedicated equipment. WTH? They wash/sanitize between runnings but I don't want to eat anything that they make wheat chex on. Too many chances for CC.

With that said, what do other super sensitives have for breakfast?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bigbird16 Apprentice

I've never done well on carbs for breakfast. I eat what I would eat for lunch or dinner -- some meat and some veggies. No processed food involved. It's my biggest meal of the day. I wash it down with coffee kissed with a bit of unsweetened hemp milk.

burdee Enthusiast

My 2 usual breakfasts are:

Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty gluten free hot cereal cooked in almond milk or hazelnut milk with added almond butter (for more protein/fat), flax meal and fruit (chopped pear, blueberries, mango, etc.);

Fresh ground peanut butter on an Ener-G Foods Seattle Brown Hamburger Bun half (works like an English muffin) topped with fruit (raspberries, blueberries, pears, peaches, persimmon or whatever I have) and sprinkled with cinnamon or cardamom;

Occasionally I have a slice of my homemade fruit breads (pumpkin/date, banana/nut, etc.) topped with almond butter or Earth Balance dairy/soy free margarine/spread, 2 AppleGate chicken apple breakfast sausages, and maybe some apple or orange slices.

I always have Ginger tea or Chai Rooibus tea (traditional or peach) with breakfast. I don't drink any caffeinated beverages.

Skylark Collaborator

Not super-sensitive but I'm off grains for now, which is where most of the CC creeps in. I usually have an egg or two, fruit, and coffee sweetened with honey. Sometimes I make coconut flour bread and have a slice of that.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks for the suggestions. They all sound great! I am going to have to have more will power and avoid processed foods. The CC gets me every time!

I am also avoiding grains (except for rice..which I guess is really a grass)

Poppi Enthusiast

My breakfasts are usually:

1. A protein shake

2. Bob's Red Mill Steel cut oats with milk and brown sugar

3. Greek yogurt with berries and a sprinkle of Udi's granola

4. A fried egg and cheese on toasted Udi's bread.

I can tolerate oats though.

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks for the suggestions. They all sound great! I am going to have to have more will power and avoid processed foods. The CC gets me every time!

I am also avoiding grains (except for rice..which I guess is really a grass)

Is this the point at which I remind you that wheat is also a grass? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have homemade yogurt, fruit and coffee.

GFreeMO Proficient

Is this the point at which I remind you that wheat is also a grass? :P

HA! true! :lol:

GFreeMO Proficient

That sounds good. Do you use rice milk for your yogurt?

GFreeMO Proficient

Today I got my blender out and I ground up a bag of brown rice. I use to really enjoy Cream Of Rice hot cereal but quit eating it when I found out that it was processed on the same lines as Cream of Wheat. I made some with apple juice and added some apples and cinnamon to it. It was delish! Just an idea for someone else!

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi GFreeMO

I've avoided breakfast all my life and have few options that agree with me so here i am surprised that your cream of rice sounds delicious. Can you tell me how you cook it? do you just put it with water or milk or just apple juice, boil on the stove?

Thanks in advance!

Di

That sounds good. Do you use rice milk for your yogurt?

I use milk. I tolerate dairy as long as I get it from one particular source. This way I sure notice when I get glutened. Lactose intolerance comes on with vigor.

GFreeMO Proficient

Hi GFreeMO

I've avoided breakfast all my life and have few options that agree with me so here i am surprised that your cream of rice sounds delicious. Can you tell me how you cook it? do you just put it with water or milk or just apple juice, boil on the stove?

Thanks in advance!

Di

I just take the plain rice and put it in the blander (uncooked) and grind it down as fine as I can get it. It takes a few minutes and different settings. After that, I just boil about a cup and a half of water, rice milk or juice and when it come to a boil, I add 1/4 cup of the ground rice. Turn down the heat to low and just keep stirring. It will look a little watery but give it a minute or so and it will thicken up. I add cinnamon and a little brown sugar to the top.

It's really good!

GFreeMO Proficient

I use milk. I tolerate dairy as long as I get it from one particular source. This way I sure notice when I get glutened. Lactose intolerance comes on with vigor.

I miss yogurt. I have a casein intolerance so it's pretty much out for me.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Thanks GFreeMO! Sounds so good ! I need any variety I can get at the moment even just for my mental state!

T.H. Community Regular

My kids love the potato pancakes recipe ( Open Original Shared Link ), but with a couple changes.

1. We left out the starch.

2. When grating the potatoes, we made sure that at least 1/4 of the potatoes were grated on the really small size grating, the micro side, you know?

3. We formed the pancakes on a plate, and then slid them onto the frying pan.

With the micro gratings added, it helped it stick together better than just the large shreds. And sliding them from the plate made it so that they didn't have a chance to fall apart. Once they started cooking, they held together fairly well.

• 2 weeks later...
GFreeMO Proficient

My kids love the potato pancakes recipe ( Open Original Shared Link ), but with a couple changes.

1. We left out the starch.

2. When grating the potatoes, we made sure that at least 1/4 of the potatoes were grated on the really small size grating, the micro side, you know?

3. We formed the pancakes on a plate, and then slid them onto the frying pan.

With the micro gratings added, it helped it stick together better than just the large shreds. And sliding them from the plate made it so that they didn't have a chance to fall apart. Once they started cooking, they held together fairly well.

Shauna - Thanks so much for that link! I made them today and they were delicious and pretty easy to make. I smothered them with organic maple syrup. YUM!

I don't know if you are ok with eggs but I mixed an egg into the potato mix and it really held it together.

burdee Enthusiast

I miss yogurt. I have a casein intolerance so it's pretty much out for me.

There are yogurts made from rice (Ricera), coconut milk (So Delicious), almonds (Amande) and soy (forgot the company because I can't tolerate soy. If you have cane sugar allergy (like me), Amande is the only yogurt that uses fruit juice sweetener, rather than evaporated cane juice. I craved yogurt for 7 years (after all my allergy diagnoses) until Amande appeared in the stores during the past year. I love it, not for breakfast, but as dessert mixed with frozen blueberries or raspberries from our local bushes.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Eggs of some sort

Bacon or sausage

sometimes hash browns, not packaged

a piece of fruit

T.H. Community Regular

We've really enjoyed Gluten free girl's potato pancake recipe (we just leave out the starch and grate some of the potatoes on the super-small grating size, to help keep it together). They taste like massive tater tots, honest-to-god - Open Original Shared Link

We often freeze fruit and then blend it in a blender to make smoothies, sometimes with fresh squeezed orange juice or other citrus juices. We've got an electric ice cream maker now that we often just pour juice into and make homemade fruit-juice icees, essentially, too.

Meat and veggie dishes are a definite staple. I tend to go for soups on cold days, and lettuce wraps on hot days. something in between on the rest, frequently with avocado slices mixed in.

We used to do plantains for breakfast, too. Cut one into chunks (when it was nice and yellowy-black outside) and put it into a hot pan with a little oil. Cook it until it was almost done, then add a little sweetener and cinnamon, or chopped nuts and sweetener. It was really nice, very filling. I've seen that type of dish served with a little sliced, warmed mango, too.

One porridge that was very nice, for anyone who can find a Thai black rice they feel safe with, was a Thai dessert. You get Thai black rice (looks very dark purple during cooking) and cook it. When it's done, you mash banana and puree it with dates in a blender. add these to the rice and bake it like a pudding in the oven. It's very sweet and rich tasting, we enjoyed it for breakfasts.

Aloo Gobi, the recipe in the extras of the movie 'Bend it like Beckham.' It's a tomato/potato/cauliflower dish. We've altered it to use fresh rather than canned tomatoes, and I leave out a couple of the spices, but that stuff is awesome. It tastes much better the next day, after the flavors have blended, so we often had the leftovers for breakfast

T.H. Community Regular

I don't know if you are ok with eggs but I mixed an egg into the potato mix and it really held it together.

Ha, oh that's too funny. I missed that we had a second page on this and posted the same recipe twice. I was thinking it looked familiar! >_<

I had wondered about the egg! I can't have them, but my kids might be able to, so we've been looking at where to introduce 'em. Sounds like this recipe might be a good start!

salexander421 Enthusiast

Fruit, eggs, smoothies made with almond milk, this really good grain free granola (my girls LOVE this!) Open Original Shared Link with almond milk, muffins made with almond flour, pancakes made with almond flour.

muffins made with almond flour, pancakes made with almond flour.

Where do you get your almond flour?

salexander421 Enthusiast

Where do you get your almond flour?

I get mine from honeyville Open Original Shared Link and haven't seemed to have any obvious problems with it. It's very finely ground too so it works very well in baked goods. My inlaws helped me order 25lbs and that way it came out to be $4 and some change per pound, can't beat that!

There's another site I just found who grows and processes their own almonds and make almond flour but havn't tried them out yet Open Original Shared Link I emailed them and they don't process anything other than almonds.

Archived