squirmingitch

Op Procedures, Surgery, Dh & Iodine

Rate this topic

Before I knew I had celiac disease or DH last year when I had my first colonoscopy they asked me if I was allergic to iodine because it was to be used during the colonoscopy. Now I'm wondering what they use if not iodine for people like us who have DH & need to limit our iodine?

Does anyone know?

Perhaps the iodine was used as an antiseptic? If so, they can use alcohol. I only allow surgeons and doctors to use alcohol on me.

Maybe someone else knows if iodine is also used internally for such a procedure.

Yes, I'm sure it was used as an antiseptic but it was ALL OVER me when I woke up.

Yes, I'm sure it was used as an antiseptic but it was ALL OVER me when I woke up.

Omg I get panicked just thinking about it...

There are alternative antiseptic washes that can be used to scrub before surgery/procedures. Also I would be cautious about getting any oral or IV iodinated contrast for x-ray procedures. It probably could cause a flare of DH.

• Upvote 1

You guys are scaring me. :huh::o This is like my worst nightmare. I will now think happy thoughts of dying under a cool breeze, warm sun and beautiful tree in bliss... having never needed a visit to hospital ever again :D

That's it too Roda. After I posted, I remembered that I thought they asked me the same thing when I got an abdominal CT scan with contrast. These tests were all done within about a 1 month period fall of 2010. I can't say I had any increased breakout of dh immediately following that but I had also gotten 2 epidurals during that time period for my DJD so those may have been a factor in keeping me from having a major dh reaction. Then in April of this year was the first time I had an all out full scale MAJOR dh outbreak.

Well, thanks for the answer Roda. And it's something we should all remember that we have to tell the staff & Dr. about when we're going to get procedures.

There are alternative antiseptic washes that can be used to scrub before surgery/procedures. Also I would be cautious about getting any oral or IV iodinated contrast for x-ray procedures. It probably could cause a flare of DH.

Be sure to mention it to the techs before the procedure as your doctor may not think to put gluten and iodine free on the slip for the lab.

When I had my CT a bit after diagnosis I was surprised how much easier the contrast was to drink. Much different from the chalky stuff I was used to. They also didn't do the IV contrast because of the iodine issue.

Thanks Raven -- good to know. Fortunately I didn't have to drink anything --- the doc only wanted contrast in the IV. But good to know if I DO have to drink it in future!

Also, I think it's time for me to get a medical alert bracelet with all this stuff on it plus the penicillin allergy plus the sulfa allergy plus the note about no soy. I would like to find something non metal so it doesn't get so cold on my wrist in the winter. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Raven -- good to know. Fortunately I didn't have to drink anything --- the doc only wanted contrast in the IV. But good to know if I DO have to drink it in future!

Also, I think it's time for me to get a medical alert bracelet with all this stuff on it plus the penicillin allergy plus the sulfa allergy plus the note about no soy. I would like to find something non metal so it doesn't get so cold on my wrist in the winter. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a MedicAlert bracelet. I think they have some with leather bands. Look at see.

Thanks Pricklypear. I will check & see. Or I was thinking maybe they now have or I can get custom printed one of those ?rubber? ones like the MIA, breast cancer & all the other things.

Thanks Pricklypear. I will check & see. Or I was thinking maybe they now have or I can get custom printed one of those ?rubber? ones like the MIA, breast cancer & all the other things.

I looked at a lot of them before I chose Medic Alert...I like their service and profile abilities.

Thing to remember is you want something that looks like a medical bracelet/necklace. The goal is for it to be seen in an emergency. Unfortunately if it's too fashionable it's just jewelry...

I know. I keep worrying about that. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be smart to just get tattooed on the inner wrist! :lol:

Let's seeeee..... stretching from the inner elbow to the wrist! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I would do that if I thought tattoos were harmless but I don't.

Then on the other wrist we would have to have this tattooed:

"See other wrist" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

I keep mine on my key ring for my car since I always have my keys with me outside the house. In the house I have a form with all my medical info on the frig. I think I got it from the Office of Aging, or maybe it was the Red Cross. It has a little plastic pouch that I can slip in my purse or pocket if I need to and the pouch has a magnetic strip on the back.

Thanks Raven! Years ago I had made up a little laminated card with all the medical info & contact info --- keep it with my driver license. I need to re-do that now. Good idea about the fridge info. I did that for my dog in case anything happens to both of us.

I'm seeing these USB devices in a bracelet --- it's a thought. That way we can change info as need be.

PS --- love your furbabies!

PS --- love your furbabies!

Thanks. Hard to believe the kitty Ricki is 16. He was born on my birthday one year. The other is Maggie my beloved little gift from one of the shelters near here. Don't know what I would do without them.

I know the feeling. At present we have one, a doggie.