eal102

Basic Lemon Cake From Scratch

Rate this topic

I received a recipe for an Italian Lemon cake from an Aunt that calls for using a lemon cake mix and in my area I am not able to find a gluten free lemon cake mix. I have Bob Mills all purpose gluten free mix. I am having a hard time finding a Lemon cake recipe from scratch to use. Anyone have a good recipe that can be used? It is to be used in a 9x13 baking pan.

Have you considered using a gluten-free cake mix (like the Betty Crocker or Bob's Red Mill - whatever you like) and simply adding lemon extract (flavoring) to it? You can buy McCormick (gluten-free) lemon extract at lots of grocery stores.

Have you considered using a gluten-free cake mix (like the Betty Crocker or Bob's Red Mill - whatever you like) and simply adding lemon extract (flavoring) to it? You can buy McCormick (gluten-free) lemon extract at lots of grocery stores.

...or freshly-squeezed lemon juice in place of some of the liquid as well as lemon zest. I have never used a gluten-free cake mix and have a mean lemon cake recipe around here somewhere...

Out of curiosity, what are the other components of this dessert/cake? Does it have a glaze? Simple syrup? Curd? Filling? As a baker I love to know these things. :P

One commenter said she made this into a lemon cake and it tasted exactly like Starbuck's lemon poundcake. I would imagine Love2Travel's suggestions would apply nicely here. I bought some lemon extract, also mentioned by missmellie, and thought I'd substitute one or two teaspoons of the vanilla extract with that if I ever get around to making it.

Land of Lakes gluten-free Vanilla Pound Cake

Ingredients:

3 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below OR 1 c. sweet rice flour, 1 c. rice flour, 2/3 c. potato starch, 1/3 c. tapioca, and 1 t. xanthan gum)

2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder

2 cups sugar

1 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, melted

4 Land O Lakes® All-Natural Eggs

4 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla

1 cup milk

Directons:

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 12-cup Bundt® or 10-inch angel food cake (tube) pan; sprinkle with gluten-free flour blend. Set aside.

Combine sugar and melted butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until well mixed.

Stir together gluten-free flour blend and baking powder in small bowl. Gradually add flour blend mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating at low speed until well mixed.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.

Gluten-Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.